GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Air filters and other improvement advice please :)

Min

Hi guys,

My cars arriving in about two month,
And I don't want to mod the car as such, but I wanted to replace some stock parts that would help the car.

So far it seems it's a good idea to replace the stock air filter with a better one, Which air filter is the best to get right now?

Also what other little improvements like the air filter is there?

Thanks for your help

Min

gerard

I ordered a K&N on ebay. Not particularly certain it will make more hp but it gives a bit more intake growl in most applications.

Genome

Hippest Teacher. Ever.
your going to have to wait for a bit before any real parts start to roll out. Just give it some time!

Blaze182

Ready to race!
I dont really wanna say this about a K&N filter, but we fitted a monster to my cousins basher. The kinda car we've altered the jeebus out of everything on...

Our engine sucked the filter foams inside got blocked up, absoloutely decimated the K&N filter, had about 12 hours of life and its was stripped clean of anything to resemble a filter... May wanna watch that filter the first couple of runs, check it out to make sure nothing goes missing. not sure if we got a dodgy filter, but I tell you, wasnt fun ;)

gerard

I dont really wanna say this about a K&N filter, but we fitted a monster to my cousins basher. The kinda car we've altered the jeebus out of everything on...

Our engine sucked the filter foams inside got blocked up, absoloutely decimated the K&N filter, had about 12 hours of life and its was stripped clean of anything to resemble a filter... May wanna watch that filter the first couple of runs, check it out to make sure nothing goes missing. not sure if we got a dodgy filter, but I tell you, wasnt fun ;)

K&N uses cotton sandwiched in a wire gauze. If your car sucked foam, it wouldn't be K&N

Blaze182

Ready to race!
Ah yeah, your correct, my bad, it just looks a hell of a lot like a cone K&N filter. A crappy replica ;) lol. Not my car, so I dont care ^^ haha

EDIT: Not my car that got damaged fromt he cr@ppy filter, lol, not that I dont care about whatMin puts on the GTI =] Lol, so dont take that the wrong way ;)

Last edited:

gerard

Ok, I've dropped a K&N into my Mk VI. A bit off putting initially as the stock 'paper' filter had so much surface area compared with the K&N.

But since I had purchased the K&N and that it was similar in size to the filter on my TT, I went ahead and installed it.

For those looking for more power from a K&N drop-in, I'll say save your money.

Bugsy_Malone 666

Passed Driver's Ed
Volkswagen Motorsport actually do a foam longlife filter which is £51.

I had a quick look as it seems that by getting vw motorsport to do things to your car doesnt invalidate you warrenty.

apparently it says with a GTi there is a report of upto 15nm extra torque.

I got a TDi and have been looking at fitting one. Its long life and just needs washing out each year, I would say it probably makes the engine pickup slightly quicker with a turbo car, but I have yet to actually buy and try one.

BSH Speedshop1

We have confirmed fitment of our intake system for the MK6. We have fitted our full system as well as our motor mounts to our new in house development car.

More info can be seen here - http://www.bshspeedshop.com/store/home.php?cat=1103

-Phill

Hi guys,

My cars arriving in about two month,
And I don't want to mod the car as such, but I wanted to replace some stock parts that would help the car.

So far it seems it's a good idea to replace the stock air filter with a better one, Which air filter is the best to get right now?

Also what other little improvements like the air filter is there?

Thanks for your help

Min

PureDrive

Go Kart Champion
I noticed a slight improvement in throttle response and high rpm breathing with just a K&N in my 08 GTI (TSI engine). However, I noticed a greater improvement when I installed my BSH Stage 1 intake. Super easy install and it is completely sealed off from the hot air of the engine.