GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 10-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #1
mrnetzley21
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: ...
Clutch master fx350

Ill be real short. I got an fx350 installed and around 400-500 miles of break in the clutch upon engagement would shudder and shake the car violently. I now have 2,000 miles in the clutch and now my pedal is stuck to the floor and im waiting for a tow. Car wont go in any gear. Also why is it that the 3 of my friends have fx350's and dont have and shudder or shaking its smooth as stock but mine is. My tuner keeps saying its "fine" its fucking bullshit im not going to beleive that anymore especially after this. What do you guys think?
mrnetzley21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:06 AM   #2
RGTI13
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2013 D.E. DSG GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnetzley21 View Post
Ill be real short. I got an fx350 installed and around 400-500 miles of break in the clutch upon engagement would shudder and shake the car violently. I now have 2,000 miles in the clutch and now my pedal is stuck to the floor and im waiting for a tow. Car wont go in any gear. Also why is it that the 3 of my friends have fx350's and dont have and shudder or shaking its smooth as stock but mine is. My tuner keeps saying its "fine" its fucking bullshit im not going to beleive that anymore especially after this. What do you guys think?
Obviously it's not fine..........
RGTI13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:30 AM   #3
vwgti2.0t
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2011 CW GTI
You lost pressure somewhere and that's why the pedal is stuck to the floor. You either have a leak in the line, where the line connects to the clutch master cylinder or slave or a leaking TOB. This happened to me a few months ago and the O-ring was shot between the clutch line and where it connects to the slave/TOB.

As for the shudder...I've only ever driven one FX350 car and it was exactly the same. Clutchmasters sucks ass. The material used in the disk is way too agggressive for the application. Just wait until it fails completely around 5000 miles. There have been about a million posts about these clutches failing in the past 6 months.
vwgti2.0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #4
kern417
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: '09 Jetta
^^^ not true, but whatever.

if it shudders, it is probably how you are driving it. shudder = too much slip. release the clutch more quickly for a smoother take off.

i'd assume that loss of pressure is an install issue or damaged pressure plate.
If you already have an intake, might as well just go big turbo while you're in the engine bay. Just my 2 cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erball View Post
It's only then when I realize, in a moment of clarity, I should have bought Honda.
kern417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #5
realcyberbob
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTI
Send a message via AIM to realcyberbob
Quote:
Originally Posted by *****2.0t View Post
You lost pressure somewhere and that's why the pedal is stuck to the floor. You either have a leak in the line, where the line connects to the clutch master cylinder or slave or a leaking TOB. This happened to me a few months ago and the O-ring was shot between the clutch line and where it connects to the slave/TOB.
This.

Can you drive your friend's FX350's as smooth as they do?
2011 CW GTI 6-Speed: APR Stage II, APR Carbonio Intake, Clutch Masters FX350 Clutch Kit, 42nd Draft Designs Downpipe, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, Forge Twintercooler, BFG DV+, Dieselgeek Short Shifter, ECS Dogbone Mount Insert, StopTech Pads & Slotted Rotors, Tyrolsport Brake Stiffening Kit, Golf R LED Tail Lights, CiM Vent Boost Gauge, RNS-510 Navigation, Uber-Stealth Box & 10" Pioneer Sub, Alpine MRP-M500 Amp, 25th Ann. GTI Golfball Shift Knob, Modshack Low Profile Engine Bay Trim, Hankook V12
realcyberbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:51 PM   #6
vwgti2.0t
Formula 3000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
^^^ not true, but whatever.

if it shudders, it is probably how you are driving it. shudder = too much slip. release the clutch more quickly for a smoother take off.

i'd assume that loss of pressure is an install issue or damaged pressure plate.
Agreed shutter = too much slip. But there are tons of clutches out that hold the power without all the bullshit. The one I drove was like an on/off switch, and anything in between was terrible. And noisier than hell. And this is coming from a prototype southbend PP with an unsprung center stage 3 disk. The clutchmasters was awful.

And you can't deny that they are shit. Tons of threads about failures in a short amount of time. TONS. The people that aren't having issues are the guys that have garage queens and drive 4 miles a year and do one hard pull a month and get 48mpg the rest of the time.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:20 PM   #7
kern417
Formula 2 Driver

i'm one of the guys that had one fail. my fx400 lasted about 3000 miles. i had it rebuilt to an fx350 and it has already lasted 10000 miles, including 100+ launches at a drag strip and 2000 or so with a big turbo setup. People are driving them wrong and clutchmasters definitely shipped out a bad batch in the group buy that i got mine in.

if you feel like it's an on/off switch and too noisy, then idk what to tell you. i'd rather have a light, grabby clutch than one that is heavy and mushy. mine drives fine and i have videos on youtube of my fx400 and fx350, neither was loud.
If you already have an intake, might as well just go big turbo while you're in the engine bay. Just my 2 cents.
Quote:
It's only then when I realize, in a moment of clarity, I should have bought Honda.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:20 PM   #8
TKE Mario
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 VW GTI mkVI 2.0T 6-spd
From what i've read in other threads, RSR's clutch kit using the DMFW is our best option correct me if I'm wrong

or the stage 3 southbend drop in disc if you dont mind some noise and saving a couple hundred bucks on parts
Old 10-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #9
vwgti2.0t
Formula 3000 Champion

Quote:
i'm one of the guys that had one fail. my fx400 lasted about 3000 miles. i had it rebuilt to an fx350 and it has already lasted 10000 miles, including 100+ launches at a drag strip and 2000 or so with a big turbo setup. People are driving them wrong and clutchmasters definitely shipped out a bad batch in the group buy that i got mine in.

if you feel like it's an on/off switch and too noisy, then idk what to tell you. i'd rather have a light, grabby clutch than one that is heavy and mushy. mine drives fine and i have videos on youtube of my fx400 and fx350, neither was loud.
I don't have one, just drove a car for a few days with one diagnosing issues. I was way noiser than the stage 2 endurance southbend with a LWFW I used to have.

The pedal effort was definitely very light, but I didn't like the drivability at all. To each his own I guess, I just know I'd never touch one with a 10 foot pole.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:46 PM   #10
kern417
Formula 2 Driver

yes because i love mine. the initial failure was premature but everyone in my group buy had premature failures, and everyone that had it rebuilt has had no issue since.

i still don't dig the rsr. no brand loyalty here, i just know what i have and refuse to lose it with an organic clutch and dmfw. i don't think people realize how much clutch the cm kit is and how you need to drive it to make it last. it's not just a cruise around clutch, it's for people that enjoy driving aggresively and plan on putting it through its paces.
Quote:
Old 10-02-2014, 07:08 PM   #11
TKE Mario

Quote:
yes because i love mine. the initial failure was premature but everyone in my group buy had premature failures, and everyone that had it rebuilt has had no issue since.

i still don't dig the rsr. no brand loyalty here, i just know what i have and refuse to lose it with an organic clutch and dmfw. i don't think people realize how much clutch the cm kit is and how you need to drive it to make it last. it's not just a cruise around clutch, it's for people that enjoy driving aggresively and plan on putting it through its paces.
Have you driven an mk6 GTI with the RSR kit installed?
It's also based on everyone's individual needs as to which they prefer. My mk6 is a daily, I live in NJ, and I'm one traffic violation away from having my license suspended so the last thing I need is a clutch that can only be driven aggressively...
Old 10-02-2014, 10:11 PM   #12
zrickety
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 130k+
Of course everyone loves the RSR, it uses the stock DMF. I would argue that a clutchmasters with DMF is just as good. Most people get the SMF so it is drastically different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:36 AM   #13
kern417
Formula 2 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE Mario View Post
It's also based on everyone's individual needs as to which they prefer. My mk6 is a daily, I live in NJ, and I'm one traffic violation away from having my license suspended so the last thing I need is a clutch that can only be driven aggressively...
no but i've driven a mustang lol. all it is is an oem disk with a heavier pressure plate. i would hate that more for daily driving, and the organic material isn't good for launching and driving hard. i'd rather a clutch that i'm not worried about glazing over when i'm dicking around you know.
Quote:
Old 10-03-2014, 11:14 AM   #14
TKE Mario

Quote:
no but i've driven a mustang lol. all it is is an oem disk with a heavier pressure plate. i would hate that more for daily driving, and the organic material isn't good for launching and driving hard. i'd rather a clutch that i'm not worried about glazing over when i'm dicking around you know.
Which goes back to my point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE Mario View Post
Also from what I've read, the RSR grabs very well and can handle the power increase (theyve run it on a stage 3 Golf R for thousands of miles with no issues), the only things you dont get is the weight reduction, quick revving, and noise of a SMFW