GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Technical Understanding of the IHI (Why does my Power FALL off?)

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Here is an APR K04 boost plot and you already have one for their K03 software.

Does anyone have GIAC numbers?

You should be able to estimate airflow based on boost, right?

Since its a independent variable across the compressor map, no. There are MANY other factors that contribute to MAF readings. Anyone can produce boost graphs. I'm looking for people to post MAF across the RPM range.

Veracity

Ready to race!
Since its a independent variable across the compressor map, no. There are MANY other factors that contribute to MAF readings. Anyone can produce boost graphs. I'm looking for people to post MAF across the RPM range.

Have you read the Turbo Tech section on Garrett's site? It says that the MAF can be estimated.

Garrett Turbo said:
Mass Flow Rate is the mass of air flowing through a compressor (and engine!) over a given period of time and is commonly expressed as lb/min (pounds per minute). Mass flow can be physically measured, but in many cases it is sufficient to estimate the mass flow for choosing the proper turbo.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/tech_center/turbo_tech103.html

grambles423

Automotive Engineer

nekkehd

Ready to race!
So basically the downpipe is the most important mod.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
So basically the downpipe is the most important mod.

No, its just one of the main factors in this discussion, but the main reason is the K03 turbocharger is too small and thats why the power falls short around 5500RPM

I would never say any mod is "the most important".

Deaks2

Ready to race!
Being a former Subaru owner, I know all too well how IHI turbo's fall flat on their face at high revs :(

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
bump

DougDome

Go Kart Champion
But why didn't VAG just put a k04 in the TSI in the first place? Is it all about emissions, or does it have to do with the longevity of the engine?

Also, does the OEM downpipe on the k03 allow for it to maintain pressure without "running out of breath"?

I'd love to go straight to k04 with all the requisite upgrades, but ultimately I'm concerned about my car going 150,000 miles.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Cost? OEMs don't make cars as good as they can be, they make them as good as it can be at a price point/profit margin.

Deaks2

Ready to race!
But why didn't VAG just put a k04 in the TSI in the first place? Is it all about emissions, or does it have to do with the longevity of the engine?

Also, does the OEM downpipe on the k03 allow for it to maintain pressure without "running out of breath"?

I'd love to go straight to k04 with all the requisite upgrades, but ultimately I'm concerned about my car going 150,000 miles.
i) Product differentiation. Audi's > VW's, or so they want you to think.
ii) There are gains with a K03 and a DP, so it looks like the stock DP is restrictive.
iii) It's an OE upgrade, I would not worry about it.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Cost? OEMs don't make cars as good as they can be, they make them as good as it can be at a price point/profit margin.

This is the damn truth. The current project I'm working on now is trying to stray away from this idea, yet its too good not too.

The fact that EVERY VW turbo engine uses the IHI/K03 compressor saves quite a bit a money. To manufacture one engine with a K04, would definitely raise the price of said vehicle, IE Golf R.

You also got to consider markets of various vehicles in the lineup. You dont want it stepping on the toes of another, or otherwise you've developed a car that wont sell, and ultimately your initial investments wont be paid.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Actually there is. I didnt know at the time I made this thread that there were two different turbos floating out there. The IHI is fractionally smaller but has CLOSE to the very same characteristics as the K03. Apparently it has a lot more lower end pull and runs out of breath quicker, than the K03.

I'll do some research today to see what I can find and edit my post appropriately. It came as quite the shocker when I found out though!

In my head --> "I just made this awesome thread about compressor maps and the K03.................a few weeks later.............FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU"