GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 10:19 PM   #43
bubuski
El Moderador
 
bubuski's Avatar
 
Drives: MK6 GTI 5-door TR
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: GTA, Canada
Posts: 3,599
Is there a technical difference between the IHI Hybrid and a BW K03?
bubuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:39 AM   #44
grambles423
Limited Activity
 
grambles423's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008.5 BMP GTI
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Balls Deep
Posts: 18,424
Actually there is. I didnt know at the time I made this thread that there were two different turbos floating out there. The IHI is fractionally smaller but has CLOSE to the very same characteristics as the K03. Apparently it has a lot more lower end pull and runs out of breath quicker, than the K03.

I'll do some research today to see what I can find and edit my post appropriately. It came as quite the shocker when I found out though!

In my head --> "I just made this awesome thread about compressor maps and the K03.................a few weeks later.............FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU"
__________________
UnNaturally Aspirated
APR Stage 1- ECS Dogbone
Driver Gear Springs-Tyrol Rigid Collar Subframe Kit
Centric Blank Rotors-Stoptech SP Pads

grambles423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:03 AM   #45
DRedman45
Formula 3000 Champion
 
DRedman45's Avatar
 
Drives: UG '10 4dr gti(sold)-E86 //M coupe
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 4,194
Send a message via AIM to DRedman45
Haha yeah the bw k03 was on the fsi...ihi turbos ar notorious for not having anything on the top end
DRedman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:07 AM   #46
ChippedGTI
FIA GT Champion
 
ChippedGTI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2D Candy White GTI
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 921
How incompetent can people be that they don't even know the turbo that is in the vehicle they drive? How can we sticky a discussion on this forum when the topic being talked about is a turbo that we dont even have in our cars! We have a IHI not a K03 for the love of god people learn what the hell you are talking about.
__________________
2010 Candy White GTI/ 6 Speed Manual/ Unitronic Stage 2/ A&L 3" Catless Downpipe/ MagnaFlow Catback Exhaust/ DevilsOwn Water/Meth DVC 30 Kit/ S3 Intercooler/ AWE S3 Hoses/ AWE Turbo Outlet Pipe/ AWE CCB Intake/ BSH VTA Race Catch Can/ BSH Integrated Throttle Body Pipe/ BSH Torque Mount Insert/ VF Engineering Short Shifter/ Noise Pipe Delete/ Revision D Diverter Valve/ AWE Vent Boost Gauge/ KSport V2 Coilovers/ VMR V710 18"
ChippedGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:36 AM   #47
grambles423
Limited Activity
 
grambles423's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008.5 BMP GTI
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Balls Deep
Posts: 18,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChippedGTI View Post
How incompetent can people be that they don't even know the turbo that is in the vehicle they drive? How can we sticky a discussion on this forum when the topic being talked about is a turbo that we dont even have in our cars! We have a IHI not a K03 for the love of god people learn what the hell you are talking about.
It was a simple mistake. You learn something new everyday. I knew all along there was a similarity between IHI and K03, even when I made the thread. The point was to provide the understanding of why the power fell off so drastically. Not to compare the two, or make it a pissing match. Thats why it was stickied.
__________________
UnNaturally Aspirated
APR Stage 1- ECS Dogbone
Driver Gear Springs-Tyrol Rigid Collar Subframe Kit
Centric Blank Rotors-Stoptech SP Pads


Last edited by grambles423; 01-03-2012 at 04:01 PM.
grambles423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:43 PM   #48
NS01GTI
FIA GT Champion
 
Drives: 2012 GLI K04
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada eh
Posts: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChippedGTI View Post
How incompetent can people be that they don't even know the turbo that is in the vehicle they drive? How can we sticky a discussion on this forum when the topic being talked about is a turbo that we dont even have in our cars! We have a IHI not a K03 for the love of god people learn what the hell you are talking about.
NS01GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #49
Peteriroc
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Peteriroc's Avatar
 
Drives: Scirocco 2.0 TSI APR
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Spain
Posts: 508
Great post!!!

This days Ive been searching for tech info like this .

My question is:

Which is the cause of the extra power in the 2.0 TSI compared with EA113 + k03????

Is the new engine EA888 or the IHI??


First of all ---> IHI Turbo vs k03:

About that Ive got contradictory data based on my own experience and data logging.

On the one hand, if we only read the maximun pressure generated at 6k rpm the k03 may be larger than IHI:

k03 --> can get 1 bar at 6000 rpm (TFSI + STG 2 (CAI + DP))
IHI ----> can get 0,84 bars at 6000 rpm (TSI + STG 1 + CAI)

But, on the other hand, the same day we got this maximun pressures in VCDS, we also roll the dyno in both cars with the same weather conditions, and we got this:

Dyno Graph: TSI with STG 1 + CAI vs TFSI with STG 2 (CAI + DP))



So the TSI only needs 0.84 bars to generate more TOP END POWER (280Cv cranck), than the TFSI with 1 bar (274Cv cranck with more mods than the TSI).

This could indicate the IHI is bigger than the k03 --> with less pressure at 6k get more HP.

Other data could indicate the IHI is between the k03 and the k04 is this:

K03 ---> Load a 2000 rpm
IHI ----> Load a 2500 rpm
K04 ----> Load a 3000 rpm

Considering same displacement 2.0 liters, the IHI is bigger than the k03 and smaller than the k04.

You could also see this behavior in the above graffic on the dyno, below 2500 rpm the k03 has more torque than the IHI due to his small size, but beyond 2500 rpm the IHI has more power...same test could be done when you compare the IHI vs K04....

So, the time turbo takes to load with same displacement indicates turbo size

Second matter --> TSI/EA888 vs TFSI/EA113

Everybody knows the new TSI is an upgrade of the TFSI engine:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showpo...99&postcount=8

So this could be the reason why the TSI performs better than the TFSI.

I mean if data about the turbo size are finally proven (with data not opinions ) we could determinated where the extra power comes:

1.- If IHI > K03 -------- extra power in TSIs would come from the turbo not the new engine

2.- If K03 > IHI -------- extra power in TSIs would come from the new engine not the turbo.

In conclusion, if we have a better engine block (TSI), with a bigger turbo like a k04 we could get more TOP END than a TFSI (rated in 360Cv cranck with a STG 2+)

Sorry for all this heavy data

Best regards.
__________________
Scirocco 2.0 TSI /K04 --> 410.5 Cv - 616.8 Nm Crank (104 file) // 357 whp & 395 wtq .....APR K04 v2!!!
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50509
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56571

Last edited by Peteriroc; 12-09-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Peteriroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:08 AM   #50
DRedman45
Formula 3000 Champion
 
DRedman45's Avatar
 
Drives: UG '10 4dr gti(sold)-E86 //M coupe
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 4,194
Send a message via AIM to DRedman45
there are so many more factors other than the turbo that explain why the tsi makes more power

the TSI(ea888 w/ IHI turbo) has a better flowing head, stronger rods, better fuel system including direct injection, and is chain driven

the FSI(ea113 w/ k03) actually has a stronger block...and the "new" ea113 w/ k04 has a stronger bottom end and better cams

these factors make it impossible to compare the differences in the IHI turbo on the tsi and the k03 on the fsi based off of dynos of the two
__________________
I will miss my K04 gti
DRedman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:49 AM   #51
Peteriroc
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Peteriroc's Avatar
 
Drives: Scirocco 2.0 TSI APR
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Spain
Posts: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRedman45 View Post
there are so many more factors other than the turbo that explain why the tsi makes more power

the TSI(ea888 w/ IHI turbo) has a better flowing head, stronger rods, better fuel system including direct injection, and is chain driven

the FSI(ea113 w/ k03) actually has a stronger block...and the "new" ea113 w/ k04 has a stronger bottom end and better cams

these factors make it impossible to compare the differences in the IHI turbo on the tsi and the k03 on the fsi based off of dynos of the two
We agree "there are so many more factors other than the turbo that explain why the tsi makes more power"

As I said, there can be two factor, the engine or the turbo:

You told, in other post, IHI is smaller than k03 (any tech data to prove that??) so the extra power wolud come from the new TSI engine (better HPFP, I think is the main reason).

So if we have a better engine block (TSI), with a bigger turbo like a k04 + TSI we could get more TOP END than a TFSI + KO4 (rated in 360Cv cranck with a STG 2+).

What do you think?

Regards
__________________
Scirocco 2.0 TSI /K04 --> 410.5 Cv - 616.8 Nm Crank (104 file) // 357 whp & 395 wtq .....APR K04 v2!!!
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50509
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56571
Peteriroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:33 AM   #52
DRedman45
Formula 3000 Champion
 
DRedman45's Avatar
 
Drives: UG '10 4dr gti(sold)-E86 //M coupe
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 4,194
Send a message via AIM to DRedman45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteriroc View Post
We agree "there are so many more factors other than the turbo that explain why the tsi makes more power"

As I said, there can be two factor, the engine or the turbo:

You told, in other post, IHI is smaller than k03 (any tech data to prove that??) so the extra power wolud come from the new TSI engine (better HPFP, I think is the main reason).

So if we have a better engine block (TSI), with a bigger turbo like a k04 + TSI we could get more TOP END than a TFSI + KO4 (rated in 360Cv cranck with a STG 2+).

What do you think?

Regards
I do not know the exact compressor, tubrine, ar on the IHI and k03, but i do know for a fact the k03 has a slightly larger cold side

The tsi will make more power than an equally moded fsi for sure for k03, k04, gt28, or gt30...the fsi however has a stronger block and can support more bore than the tsi, so the huge HP fsi's still have the stage 3+ tsi's beat
__________________
I will miss my K04 gti
DRedman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:28 PM   #53
Peteriroc
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Peteriroc's Avatar
 
Drives: Scirocco 2.0 TSI APR
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Spain
Posts: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRedman45 View Post
I do not know the exact compressor, tubrine, ar on the IHI and k03, but i do know for a fact the k03 has a slightly larger cold side

The tsi will make more power than an equally moded fsi for sure for k03, k04, gt28, or gt30...the fsi however has a stronger block and can support more bore than the tsi, so the huge HP fsi's still have the stage 3+ tsi's beat
This is what Mike@Forge said about new TSIs

- Lower compression forged pistons
- strengthened connecting rods
- enlarged wrist pins
- stronger piston rings
- upgraded bearings
- reinforced engine block
- upgraded camshafts (longer duration, same lift)
- upgraded injectors (+13% flow)
- larger K04 turbo producing 1.2 bar of boost (+3 PSI over K03 equipped GTI)
- larger intercooler (+30%)
- relocated bypass valve

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showpo...99&postcount=8

For his words I undestand TSI has a stonger block no??

There is also this pictures from APR...





Anyway the only reason for the extra powe is a better HPFP the other data aims to durability not performance.

What do you think DRedman45??

Best regards
__________________
Scirocco 2.0 TSI /K04 --> 410.5 Cv - 616.8 Nm Crank (104 file) // 357 whp & 395 wtq .....APR K04 v2!!!
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50509
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56571
Peteriroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #54
DRedman45
Formula 3000 Champion
 
DRedman45's Avatar
 
Drives: UG '10 4dr gti(sold)-E86 //M coupe
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 4,194
Send a message via AIM to DRedman45
I agree with you completely...i have been haha

internally the tsi is stronger stock than the fsi for sure...the actual block itself is stronger on the fsi though....that, plus the easy to upgrade fueling, and the availability of more aftermarket internals(cams, valvetrain, big bore pistons) is the only thing the fsi has going over the tsi

in a couple years when we start getting aftermarket cams with ported and polished heads with an apr stage 3+ set up there will be huge numbers out of the tsi
__________________
I will miss my K04 gti
DRedman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #55
Peteriroc
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Peteriroc's Avatar
 
Drives: Scirocco 2.0 TSI APR
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Spain
Posts: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRedman45 View Post
I agree with you completely...i have been haha

internally the tsi is stronger stock than the fsi for sure...the actual block itself is stronger on the fsi though....that, plus the easy to upgrade fueling, and the availability of more aftermarket internals(cams, valvetrain, big bore pistons) is the only thing the fsi has going over the tsi

in a couple years when we start getting aftermarket cams with ported and polished heads with an apr stage 3+ set up there will be huge numbers out of the tsi
+100

Time will clarify the TSI vs TFSI performance
__________________
Scirocco 2.0 TSI /K04 --> 410.5 Cv - 616.8 Nm Crank (104 file) // 357 whp & 395 wtq .....APR K04 v2!!!
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50509
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56571
Peteriroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:49 PM   #56
Peteriroc
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Peteriroc's Avatar
 
Drives: Scirocco 2.0 TSI APR
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Spain
Posts: 508
Here you are a K03 from a TFSI





These are the Turbo Oulet Pipe from a k03 vs k04



__________________
Scirocco 2.0 TSI /K04 --> 410.5 Cv - 616.8 Nm Crank (104 file) // 357 whp & 395 wtq .....APR K04 v2!!!
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50509
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56571
Peteriroc is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.