GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

mk6 likes the taste of oil?

vwkiwi

Quickie - the receptionist at my dealer told me that i should not be surprised if my car used 1L of oil per 100km... is this right? (Mk6 comfortline 118tsi)
That would mean when i fill up (i get around 750km per tank - city and freeway driving) i would need to top up 7.5l of oil?
I have no faith in my dealer in any sence of the word as with my previous posts.

Ozram

Passed Driver's Ed
Quickie - the receptionist at my dealer told me that i should not be surprised if my car used 1L of oil per 100km... is this right? (Mk6 comfortline 118tsi)
That would mean when i fill up (i get around 750km per tank - city and freeway driving) i would need to top up 7.5l of oil?
I have no faith in my dealer in any sence of the word as with my previous posts.

A litre per 1000km I could understand, especially while the engine is bedding in. You'd need to own an oil refinery to keep oil up to it a 1 litre per 100km!

Maybe that's why she is a receptionist (with apologies to any receptionists on the forum) and not a salesperson or technician.

mongo1

Ready to race!

You get some sort of two stroke edition? :p

sidenote: How is the filter/drain plug placement on this engine? I almost bought a Mini instead of waiting it out for the MkVI, but one of the drawbacks to the mini was the absurd lengths it took to merely change your own oil (from what I read, you had to remove the windshield wiper fluid reservoir just to get to the oil filter).

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
Judging from the DIY's posted on GolfMkV for the TSI engine, it seems that the oil filter is located up top with an anti-spill feature, and the drain plug is exposed directly below the engine. Just need a socket wrench, drain plan, new filter and new oil for the oil change.

Seems to be quite easy...

koolgreen

Ready to race!
Judging from the DIY's posted on GolfMkV for the TSI engine, it seems that the oil filter is located up top with an anti-spill feature, and the drain plug is exposed directly below the engine. Just need a socket wrench, drain plan, new filter and new oil for the oil change.

Seems to be quite easy...

One thing I noticed was the oil filter when I was looking at the new golf in the showroom.
The filter is at the top of the engine.
I am wondering when you unscrew the filter, what happens to all the oil that is in the filter.
The opening is facing down.
Perhaps there is something in the design that keeps the oil from spilling?
Or maybe the filter slowly empties after a few minutes because it is so high.
Also, my A4 has an undertray that has to be removed to get at the oil drain plug.
I notice the new Mk6 engine has an undertray now as well.
Does it cover the drain plug?
Or is the plug off to the side and thus doesn't require removal of the plastic undertray?
________
IPAD GUIDE

Last edited:

Jever

Ready to race!
One thing I noticed was the oil filter when I was looking at the new golf in the showroom.
I am wondering when you unscrew the filter, what happens to all the oil that is in the filter.
Also, my A4 has an undertray that has to be removed to get at the oil drain plug.
Or is the plug off to the side and thus doesn't require removal of the plastic undertray?

you remove the drain plug you loosen the filter then it drains out and you can remove it without any mess.

Jever

Ready to race!
top mount filters are the rage, the new tacoma 4.0 the bmw 4.0 v8 (m3 engine) and many others have them now.

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion

Yes, there is a pin in the filter that stops it after something like a quarter turn so that you can let the oil drain down. Just turn the filter a quarter-turn to let out the pressure and let the oil drain for 5-10 minutes before removing completely.

As far as I know, the drain plug is exposed outside of the undertray.

The drain plug is a 18mm(?) socket and the filter is a "B" oil filter wrench size. Other than that you should not need anything beyond a pan, funnel and oil.

http://www.golfmk5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78056&highlight=tsi+drain+plug
http://www.golfmk5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86645&highlight=tsi+drain+plug

Short DIYs on oil change for the TSI engine.

When I change my oil in 2-3 weeks I will do a full write-up including pictures.

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!

koolgreen

Ready to race!

My 1.8T is at 170,000 km and after each 16,000 km oil change period, there is less than 5mm loss on the dipstick. Which is prolly less than half a liter of oil.
________
How To Use Herbalaire

Last edited: