GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 07-21-2011, 01:23 AM   #29
JenkumLover
Ready to race!

Drives: Gray 2011 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSMark5 View Post
Honestly, I think it'd be way cooler if you did a FI swapped drivetrain from a salvaged Passat/CC 3.6 4mo. I've seen them both in salvage auction selling well below $5k. 2nd and 4th gen haldex respectively a base of ~300hp in a fairly light compact box thats already set up to fit..mostly. Then TT it up. RAI was looking for 600+ hp out of their project 3.6 CC. It would sound way cooler than a LSX, it would be AWD like you wanted, and VW kids wouldn't hate on you so much.
That would be very cool, but very difficult, that motor would need a new bottom end to handle the power most likely.

LSX would be very easy and cheap, for $5000 I can easily get a motor and trans with a small cam in it and have 400plus horsepower with serious torque. Just need a Golf R rear end with stronger axles and custom driveshaft. I may have to alter the floor pan and firewall for engine and transmission clearance but that would be easy.

I dont think VW kids would hate, hopefully they would think it was cool, but maybe it would be like a honda fanboy who saw a V8 in civic or something.

I have seen in VW magazines some pretty crazy fabrication work and motor swaps.
JenkumLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:26 AM   #30
JenkumLover
Ready to race!

Drives: Gray 2011 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocalPoint View Post
this project was attempted on a MKV GTI/R32 to convert the GTI to AWD/RWD, it was "ATTEMPTED" and fell through because cost was way above the value of the cost it would be to buy an R32 and turbo it. You will spend far more than $10k on this V8/AWD conversion.

Also, modification to the rear will be required as the spare tire wheel wells in the hatch sit higher on the R's to make room for the AWD components. This is not as easy at it may appear.

But by all means, baller, take on the project and report back. Be sure to post cost of the project in total as you go along. That way by the time you're done, I can price out a turbo'd R32/BT Golf R, or a new M3 for the price you dropped on doing this. Those cars will still be faster.
The cost would be high for someone who was paying someone else to do it for them. For me all I would need is the raw materials. Maybe at the end I would need a tuner to help me to keep my gauges and interface working.
JenkumLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:31 AM   #31
OverTimer
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 13 PG GLI Autobahn DSG
Send a message via Yahoo to OverTimer
There's another point I haven't noticed anyone bringing up. VWs 4motion systems are based off of FWD "when the front wheels slip the rear wheels grip" basically opposite to BMW and nearly identical to Mini's new All4 system. When you put RWD into a FWD car it's going to kill handling all of VW and Audis cars with the exception of the R8 are made to be FWD biased.

Anyway going back to AWD if you find salvaged parts and can perform the work yourself it should end up being what a base R would cost including what you've already paid for the GTI. Now if you want to be a true badass you'll shove an Audi 4.2 under the hood or even a new 3.0 supercharged, then you sir would have the most awesome mk6 GTI ever.

But still won't compare to my Harley twin cam 88 Mk1 GTi.......one day one day.
OverTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:42 AM   #32
Y34RZ3R0iscoming
Banned

Drives: 2002 E46 M3 (CSL conversion)
Just fuckin dooooo eeeet
Y34RZ3R0iscoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:59 AM   #33
Hilfloskind
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI CSG 4d/6s
Everyone just needs to take a deep breath and huff some Jenkum.
Grambles' Unicorn Gym Theory
My Build Thread
Hilfloskind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:29 AM   #34
Y34RZ3R0iscoming
Banned

Drives: 2002 E46 M3 (CSL conversion)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilfloskind View Post
Everyone just needs to take a deep breath and huff some Jenkum.
Gimme 20 minutes and aplate of mexican food. xD
Y34RZ3R0iscoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:31 AM   #35
FinalOne
Touring Car Champion

Drives: GTI DSG sunroof, xenon, steel gray
im sure in can be done couse i've seen an AWD GTI in Greece.
i think they also post some videos somewhere in this forum.
try search for their post and contact them for details.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:42 AM   #36
CDUBBGTI91
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: CW 2011 GTI TR 2015 GTI
Honestly I think the op is just high off of some jenkum and isn't thinking "realistically" lol jk. I'm sure this could happen and it would be a badass GTI but will it perform to how you think it will? I'd much rather spend the money to do things to the GTI that you know will turn out better. Stage 3 kit plus all engine mounts, TBE, best intercoolers, best street tires, cosmetic looks, etc. You can still make a badass GTI unique without having to do AWD and engine swaps. Plus how reliable will your GTI be after you do all that is planned?
Mods: APR ko4 V(3.1)//APR DSG V(1.4)//APR rods/pistons//Carbonio Intake Stage 1+2//Billy Boat Downpipe//Magnaflow Catback Exhaust//s3 Intercooler//A.W.E. Turbo Outlet Pipe//BSH Pendulum Mount/BSH Torque Mount Insert//10" JL W7 //20% tint
Ko4 Club Member #4 ...SOLD // Mk7 GTI: APR Stage 2//APR Downpipe//APR Carbonio Intake
YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/cbsantos91
CDUBBGTI91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:01 AM   #37
DBESTGTI
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2011 Stage 2 GTI
Not the whole rear end. I have a brand new Haldex unit (the electronic potion for the rear dif)
Old 07-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #38
RacingManiac
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: Bye MK6, Hello MK7 PP GTI
Since OP mentioned $10K being something that he is not willing to spend to trade up to an R, that might be his limit. And I don't see this swap to AWD being less than that. Most parts you get off the parts catalog will cost more than what you paid for on a car that comes with them. And unless you find a totaled R with most of the part still in tact(from non-US source if you want to do this before the R show up on our shore), you will HAVE to buy something from VW and that will add up over 10K pretty rapidly....

Money no object, it might be a cool project, but for money no object there are a lot more interesting project I'd attempt than this....for most consumer product if you can buy it its' probably better to do that instead of making it....Though crazier things have been done....
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:49 AM   #39
bubuski
El Moderador

Drives: MK6 GTI 5-door TR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSMark5 View Post
Honestly, I think it'd be way cooler if you did a FI swapped drivetrain from a salvaged Passat/CC 3.6 4mo. I've seen them both in salvage auction selling well below $5k. 2nd and 4th gen haldex respectively a base of ~300hp in a fairly light compact box thats already set up to fit..mostly. Then TT it up. RAI was looking for 600+ hp out of their project 3.6 CC. It would sound way cooler than a LSX, it would be AWD like you wanted, and VW kids wouldn't hate on you so much.
This.
bubuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #40
Nicoo..
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 TR GTI
it HAS been done on a similar skoda (FWD 2.0tsi) here.. there was a thread about a very powerful skoda i don't remember very well.. i do remember that they said it could be done for around 6000 or 7000$ by them..
if i ever come across it again i'll tell you
Old 07-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #41
Dave!
Rally Car Champion

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvanSuper View Post
OP needs to wake the fuck up and stop dreaming.
Ahhhhh ha ha ha
Dave! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:26 AM   #42
VR6Growl
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: '12 Jetta 2.5 SEL; '14 328D xDrive
OP:

The MKV GTI/R32 swap mentioned earlier was being done entirely by the owner. He/she had all the necessary skills in welding, fabrication, etc and did all the work in the garage. The issues they ran into were basically that you will need the floor, gas tank, entire drivetrain, and entire electrical system (you need most of it so might as well be all) in order to control the AWD. IIRC they could successfully install the hardware, but they couldn't afford the supporting systems necessary to actually make it work.

Since the Golf R is not here yet, you might be able to source a MKV and retrofit the systems, or as mentioned try a CC. But buying new this will cost you more than a Stage III Golf R would and it would still have less power.
VR6Growl is offline   Reply With Quote