GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Relocating RNS-510 to make room for Tablet

pswhite

Relocating RNS-510 to make room for Tablet (Finished! Now with details and pictures!)

Hi everyone,

I've tried searching around for some answers on this idea, but can't find too many on this forum or any MKVI encompassing this.

First off, I've disliked the RNS-510 (2010 Golf TDI) since I began using it. Slow to respond, clunky to use, and only about half of my POIs are present. In light of this, like many others, I'd like to replace my head unit with an android tablet.

Maybe some of you can give me some input as to the feasibility of this project. My three ideas are below:

1. Recess or relocate the head unit, leaving it to aux. If I can recess it back an inch in it's pocket, that will create enough room for the tablet. If not, I'll need to place it in the trunk. This will allow me to retain the stock bluetooth with my iphone, the steering wheel for volume control, and route the android tab to the aux input.
2. Replace the head unit with a cheap single din head unit with aux input and handsfree, placing this in the glove box and the android in the double din slot.
3. Get rid of the head unit, connecting the stereo out on the android to the front and rear L/R inputs to the factory amp (I have the dynaudio upgrade). Downside to this is I lose my handsfree as well as the steering wheel control for volume.

Ideally I'd like to use option 1. I realize it's kind of a cheat, but it would be the cheapest and save my steering wheel controls/hands free.

My questions are:
1. Is there room behind the stock unit to recess it back an inch or two if I were to remove the metal tabs which hold it in place?
2. Is there some kind of extension harness which would allow me to relocate the head unit to the boot?
3. If I have to remove the head unit altogether, will this affect any other function in the car? I realize steering wheel control would be gone, as well as bluetooth, and the MFI display, but would this affect the alarm or other important bits?

Thanks for any input! If I can make this work I'll post the final workings. For any who would like to discuss using an android tablet versus RNS-510 or a Pioneer head unit (my second choice) or even the mounting, please do, but I feel I've already considered those and I'd like to give this a shot.

--Phil

EDIT: I finally got around to making it work, so the details are here

Last edited:

chanman87

Ready to race!
i suggest doing the single DIN.....then on the top placing a single DIn deck
bottom
try attaching a plate to attach a Proclip onto it
then using a ProCLIP anchor to hold the TABLET

TomMcD

Ready to race!
Okay, my viewpoint here.

Options
1. Recess
Yes there is room. BUT it will require creative trimming inside the dash to remove the rear tabs and deepen the mounting points for the front of the radio.

2. Replace
You can get a very decent head unit or in fact HU/AMP/Speakers for $1000 to $1500. You pull the stock system and you can sell it for enough to cover most of your costs.

3. See 2. with a Line output converter you could turn your two channel tablet audio out into 4 channel to feed the DynaAudio or an aftermarket high power amp.

Questions
1. See 1 above
2. No. But you could take a 'SOT-976' radio harness and lengthen it by 15 or 20 feet with 3 or 4 pieces of 9 conductor 'speed wire'.
3. Fall out from radio removal should be trivial. There is an option in VCDS (vag-com) to select no radio which is what I would do at that point so you don't confuse the car.

I have seen several setups where someone mounted the tablet in front of the radio and could pivot it away when they wanted access to the existing head unit. Such as found here. http://caraudiomag.com/articles/top-9-ipad-car-solutions I would suggest you check out the forums here http://diymobileaudio.com for your more detailed questions.

To get a good clean install inside the dash will require reworking the center console and isn't a beginner project. It is something a respectable custom shop could do in a couple days. Depends on how much you want to spend. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

91Z28

Ready to race!
If you do this, trade me your RNS for my RCD, id be happy just to have the slow, nearly unresponsive, clunky navigation lol

mginster

Sorry, but i think the scosche mount looks terrible. If it didnt stick out and sat flush on the dash ring it would like much nicer and you could hide the wires. With this, you mine as well buy any of the other million cup holder mounts, dash clips, etc and then you can still maintain all your stock features.

DJEuphoria

Go Kart Champion
save yourself the headache and just get an RNS310. runs a lot smoother and quicker. mine never gave me any problems. the screens a bit smaller but on the brightside it works like it should and everything is integrated pretty damn well and i'm VERRRRRRY picky about my headunits.

pswhite

Hey y'all. I started this thread last year and finally got around to getting all the parts and playing this past weekend. Additionally, PAC came out with a new interface that combines the harness with steering wheel controls. Works well. Anyways, here's the first round:

The fascia still needs to be filled, sanded, and painted, but all in all it keeps a fairly clean appearance. If anyone is interested in this (and I know it's not up everyone's alley), I'll post a run down.

techbiker

Passed Driver's Ed
Please to post details. I've been contemplating how to do this lately.