GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > VW Golf R Forum

Old 10-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
JimmyT
Autocross Champion

Drives: MKVI GTI
More good news..maybe

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...-gti-r-for-u-s

Found this over on the vortex and thought I would share...enjoy!
JimmyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
mongo
Oval Newbie

Drives: '10 CSG GTI
That's terrific news indeed! All of the previous "It's coming to the States" stuff all seemed to be from back in the first half of the year. I was getting a bit worried that VW had either changed it's mind, or decided to hold off for a year.

With this tidbit, I'm willing to continue to limp through the rest of the year with my Camaro (at 18mpg of super unleaded, power steering leak, and something rattling a bit under the hood).

...GTI-R, huh? Time to start making appropriate desktop wallpapers and such.
mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
bubuski
El Moderador

Drives: MK6 GTI 5-door TR
Great news.......So who is going to beat the Canadian drum?
bubuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:54 AM   #4
maximum6
Go Kart Champion

Drives: gti
now to see if we'll get the Manual transmission
maximum6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:01 AM   #5
mongo
Oval Newbie

I just want that 4 door only rumor to be false. I would certainly prefer a manual, but could be talked into DSG if necessary.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
mrbooby
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: not a vw
Hopefully they will offer a manual tranny this time around.
mrbooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #7
subacpw
Oval Newbie

Drives: MKVI GTI DSG
they need to find a way to send over 2/4 and manual/dsg.

personally ill take a 4 door DSG. loaded less navi for 34 OTD plz k thx bye
subacpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:00 PM   #8
csmk6
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 07 GTI Fah - 09 BMW 135i - 10 B8 S4
4 door is very possible to come i think, if not, i can stand it. dsg, manual, which ever I'll take it on such a nice machine. Actually it'd be hard for me to choose whether i want a dsg or a manual more if they offer both options, so i don't mind if they only offer dsg like massive others do. The only factor here is the price. If it's goes above 35k or even 38k??!! I'd go back to my 10 S4 wet dream ;p
csmk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:02 PM   #9
SupaFlip
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: Gti mkV
Ah looks like they not going to keep the bucket seat? Unless its an option for leather interior
SupaFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:10 PM   #10
ac1208

Drives: 335i & GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubuski View Post
Great news.......So who is going to beat the Canadian drum?
I asked a VW dealer in Toronto today about the R20...and the salesperson said it is not coming to Canada, apparently he was in a meeting with VW AG and confirmed its not coming.
ac1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:16 PM   #11
subacpw
Oval Newbie

Drives: MKVI GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaFlip View Post
Ah looks like they not going to keep the bucket seat? Unless its an option for leather interior
i highly doubt the us would get the buckets. no side airbags.
subacpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:13 AM   #12
JimmyT
Autocross Champion

Drives: MKVI GTI
now on vwvortex the moderators have locked this thread and stated that the information is completely wrong... really don't know what to think of all of it...
JimmyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #13
Q822
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: GTi mk6
Nice, it will be more UNIQUE to have it in Canada
Q822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:04 AM   #14
mongo
Oval Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyT View Post
now on vwvortex the moderators have locked this thread and stated that the information is completely wrong... really don't know what to think of all of it...
The more I dug, the more I thought the absolute nature of the article was a bit shady... Here's the related article that seems to speak the most truth to me:

Quote:
Volkswagen unveiled the new high-zoot R version of the MK VI Golf at the Frankfurt Motor Show last month, but it declined to say whether Americans would ever get a chance to buy one. Fans of the R32 will likely be clamoring for the new R20 if does make it to our shores, in part because of the 400 pounds it has shed.

While we are here in Wolfsburg today to drive VW's more pedestrian Golf varietals, we had a chance to follow up on the R20 possibility for America. First, we asked VW of America CEO Stefan Jacoby, who told us it was being studied and that no decision had yet been reached about the R20 for America. A little later, we talked with Andres Valbuena who happens to be the U.S. product planner for the Golf, GTI and New Beetle. That means he guides the direction of the Golf in this country. To give you some perspective on where Andres stands on this subject, his personal ride back home in Virginia is a 2004 edition R32 with an added blower, so word that Valbuena is pushing hard to get the R20 should come as no surprise. Further, if it does cross the Pond, he wants it available in both two- and four-door bodystyles with a choice of manual or DSG transmissions.

If the R20 does make it here, odds are VW won't be able to justify two powertrains given the expected low volumes. In that event, Valbuena tells us he prefers the manual, but regardless, all R20s would be equipped with all-wheel drive. Working in the R20's favor is the fact that this is essentially the powertrain from the Audi TT-S which has both gearbox options. Hopefully, we'll have a decision from Wolfsburg within a year. If you want the R20 in your local VW showroom, make your voice heard in the comments because the automaker is listening.
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/07/n...me-to-america/