GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 01-13-2015, 06:52 PM   #1
Charlie22911
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Audi RS5 Datona Grey
The dealership wants my car...

So I got a call today from a guy in sales who wants to get me into a 2015 GTI in exchange for selling my car. They are looking for a car with my mods and offered "top dollar" for it.

My car has around 52k miles on it and is in great condition, I know I'd get crap on it for a normal trade in and probably wouldn't get what I want private party.

My car is paid off and I'm not sure if it is worthwhile, he did say they'd flash the new car to stage 1 for me so there is that.

Thoughts?

APR ko4, APR Carbonio I, APR RSC TBE, APR IC
Ross-Tech HEX-CAN
Charlie22911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:56 PM   #2
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie22911 View Post
So I got a call today from a guy in sales who wants to get me into a 2015 GTI in exchange for selling my car. They are looking for a car with my mods and offered "top dollar" for it.

My car has around 52k miles on it and is in great condition, I know I'd get crap on it for a normal trade in and probably wouldn't get what I want private party.

My car is paid off and I'm not sure if it is worthwhile, he did say they'd flash the new car to stage 1 for me so there is that.

Thoughts?
you realize this is a sales tactic to try and get you to buy a new mk7. guarantee they do not want or give a shit about your car. do not fall for it, unless you want to trade it anyways.
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:58 PM   #3
09GTIJoE
FIA GT Champion

Drives: Sleep .:R
if the price is right, I would consider, tell them to throw in the stage 1 on them
09GTIJoE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:03 PM   #4
DBESTGTI
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2011 Stage 2 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay745 View Post
you realize this is a sales tactic to try and get you to buy a new mk7. guarantee they do not want or give a shit about your car. do not fall for it, unless you want to trade it anyways.
this
Old 01-13-2015, 07:06 PM   #5
ken518
Autocross Champion

Drives: CW 2011 GTI
Don't do it, unless you have money to burn.

Trading in a perfectly running car already modded to your liking that's completely paid off for another car that comes with payments almost always results in regrets when that first monthly payment is due.

Then there's the ton of money you'll be throwing at the new car to mod it again. Besides, when a dealer offers "top dollar", it's usually just means a bit more than the kbb fair condition trade-in value. At least that's my experience...
ken518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:07 PM   #6
(. )( .)
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: Slow
noob
Old 01-13-2015, 07:09 PM   #7
mk6medic
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: something faster than K04
Sounds like someone who works at the dealership wants a K04 to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshay View Post
Iono man. You meatspinned me once when I was in the library. I'm still bitter about that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawbdog View Post
Lol NEEK is like how GK was before he became a mod. Lol.
mk6medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:12 PM   #8
WAP
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 CSG GTI DSG Mk6 VEYRON
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay745 View Post
Listen to Jay. He speaks the truth.
2011 GTI DSG -Detroits swapped for Denvers|Soundaktor killed|DG Base Carrier Bars|VW Valve Stem Caps (+10hp!)|Dash Cubby|Euro Switch|GTI Seat Wrench Inserts|Conti DWS's|Vag-Com Mods|Double Apex USB Charger
WAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:13 PM   #9
NecioVato
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2010 APR Stage 1 VW GTI
You're running a K04 and you are wanting to trade in your ride. If the car has been problem free and PIF, why do it. Doesn't make sense, you are already used to the power you get in the K04 so you would wind up having to add more to the new ride to get what you want; plus to pass on the sport pack to have the LSD doesn't make sense if you are wanting a MK7.

Like someone else said, unless you want a new ride and the MK7 is what you want, maybe you entertain the idea but if you are happy with your current ride, why do it?
NecioVato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:16 PM   #10
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk6medic View Post
Sounds like someone who works at the dealership wants a K04 to me.
This
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:21 PM   #11
Charlie22911

I love my car but now that the power train is nearly up I can't help but think about issues down the line.

I am very happy with the car and wouldn't consider it unless they made it worth my while.

I've shrugged off dealer buyback calls in the past but this is different in that they want a modded car, so I'm taking it at face value. I'll find out in a week when I'm back in town.
I'm just wondering what guys with more experience think, because if it'a purely a sales ploy I'm going to be disappointed.

Ross-Tech HEX-CAN
Old 01-13-2015, 07:31 PM   #12
whitewolf33
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2013 CW Wolfsburg
Do you want the monthly payment? I cant wait to pay mine off
whitewolf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:32 PM   #13
mk6medic
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: something faster than K04
I'm telling ya... it sounds like someone at the dealer has seen your car and knows what is done to it and wants it. They are trying to get you to trade it in for more than you would normally get and they get to buy it from the dealer for basically what they give you so they get it cheap with no markup. Most dealers do not want modded cars. They generally cannot sell them so they have to wholesale them and end up getting nothing so they usually give you nothing.

Just for example, lets say they offer 20k when most places will give 18k. They would usually sell it for 25k, but since it is an employee, he will get it for close to the 20k they gave you. In return, the dealer sells another new car to you. In their eyes, everyone wins. Dealer bro gets the modded car he wants for cheap and already done, dealer gets a sale and you get a brand new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshay View Post
Iono man. You meatspinned me once when I was in the library. I'm still bitter about that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawbdog View Post
Lol NEEK is like how GK was before he became a mod. Lol.
mk6medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:07 PM   #14
Charlie22911

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk6medic View Post
I'm telling ya... it sounds like someone at the dealer has seen your car and knows what is done to it and wants it. They are trying to get you to trade it in for more than you would normally get and they get to buy it from the dealer for basically what they give you so they get it cheap with no markup. Most dealers do not want modded cars. They generally cannot sell them so they have to wholesale them and end up getting nothing so they usually give you nothing.

Just for example, lets say they offer 20k when most places will give 18k. They would usually sell it for 25k, but since it is an employee, he will get it for close to the 20k they gave you. In return, the dealer sells another new car to you. In their eyes, everyone wins. Dealer bro gets the modded car he wants for cheap and already done, dealer gets a sale and you get a brand new car.
If I can get them to 20-22k or close that it will put me around 10 grand for a brand new 2015 autobahn edition GTI with stage 1.
That would be what I consider worth my while.

It doesn't seem like a terrible deal for a 4 year old decently modified car. Then again who doesn't like shiny new things?
I just want to make sure I'm not crazy haha.

Ross-Tech HEX-CAN