GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 01-19-2015, 11:18 PM   #1
ahamayym
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2012 VW Golf
Base brakes

So, it looks like my discs may have some grooves going into them. If I run my fingernail from the center out to the edge, I can feel a very uneven surface... I have not pulled the pads off to see the condition of those yet. Any advice would be great. BTW, my last scheduled maintenance (30k miles) the dealer inspected them and said that there was plenty of material left on both the disc and pad.
ahamayym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:44 PM   #2
NYCSuits
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: '12 GTI, '16 GSW SE LP/DP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahamayym View Post
So, it looks like my discs may have some grooves going into them. If I run my fingernail from the center out to the edge, I can feel a very uneven surface... I have not pulled the pads off to see the condition of those yet. Any advice would be great. BTW, my last scheduled maintenance (30k miles) the dealer inspected them and said that there was plenty of material left on both the disc and pad.
Some grooves are totally fine...are you getting an vibrations or squealing when applying the brakes?...if not you're good. Btw my brakes are original with plenty of life and I'm at 49k miles
Akrapovic | REVO | RNS510 Rev-Q | OEM Euro Cup Holder | OEM Euro Power Folding Mirrors | OEM Euro Mirrors | OEM Golf R Mirror Caps | OEM RLS Windshield | OEM RLS | OEM Dimming Mirror | OEM DG Springs | OEM LED Tails | OEM Dash Cubby | ECS CF Intake | Unibrace UB | Tyrolsport | SPM RSB | 17" OEM Goals | 18" OEM VW Motorsport | 18" OEM Detroit | OEM+ | OEM Match Markers | OEM Lip Spoiler | 50% llumar | WeatherTech| Vagcom
NYCSuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:53 AM   #3
lilfleck

Drives: '11 GTI Autobahn, DSG
I have the same exact thing. Thought it was an issue, but I don't think it's uncommon. I can't justify buying new brakes when they are full of health. I do want to swap pads though and change the brake fluid. Just want a better bite. The pads I have now are pretty high dust aftermarkets the dealer put on when I bought them.
lilfleck is offline   Reply With Quote