GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 09-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #15
noname
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI 6spd,CW
Thanks! Makes perfect sense.
noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #16
MK6_EF9
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: away...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny@TireRack.com View Post
Our preferred package for the 2011 would be 205/55R16 Dunlop Winter Sport 3D with 16x6.5 steelies. The total would be $720 plus shipping and any applicable taxes (quoted without tire pressure sensors which run $53.00 each if you need them)
Great! Thank you for the response.
MK6_EF9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:52 PM   #17
waffleman
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 Black GTI manual
What do you all recommend for a 2010 GTI 4 door with the 19 inch wheels? (Could not find on tire rack site) Do you need sensors? All you have to do is switch the tires correct?? (similar procedure as one would put a spare if had a flat)
Dilema.....sport tires or excuse to get the 2012 R with 4 wd....which would do better in snow?
waffleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #18
Sonny@TireRack.com
GolfMK6 Official Vendor

Drives: My kids crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleman View Post
What do you all recommend for a 2010 GTI 4 door with the 19 inch wheels? (Could not find on tire rack site) Do you need sensors? All you have to do is switch the tires correct?? (similar procedure as one would put a spare if had a flat)
Dilema.....sport tires or excuse to get the 2012 R with 4 wd....which would do better in snow?
In your case, I would probably minus size all the way down to a 16" and go with a wheel and tire package (for 19" you would have to go with 235/35R19 which may rub under full suspension compression). You could spend similar money and have a dedicated set to keep your 19" in good shape. Any excuse for an R is a good one! :-)

A good set of studless ice and snow on your GTI will be comparable to an AWD equipped vehicle.

In Pennsylvania a working TPMS system is not required by law. Most people go without sensors on winter packages.

Sonny

Last edited by Sonny@TireRack.com; 09-13-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Sonny@TireRack.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:27 PM   #19
waffleman
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 Black GTI manual
Quote:
In your case, I would probably minus size all the way down to a 16" and go with a wheel and tire package (for 19" you would have to go with 235/35R19 which may rub under full suspension compression). You could spend similar money and have a dedicated set to keep your 19" in good shape. Any excuse for an R is a good one! :-)

A good set of studless ice and snow on your GTI will be comparable to an AWD equipped vehicle.

In Pennsylvania a working TPMS system is not required by law. Most people go without sensors on winter packages.

Sonny

Ok. Is this what you would recommend then?

(1) Set of 4 - KT962 Style 16" ABS
Price: $40.00 for 1
(4) New Steel Wheel 16X6.5 Black Painted
Price: $224.00 for 4
(4) 205/55R16 Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D
Price: $496.00 for 4
(these would qualify for the $50 rebate , correct?)
waffleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #20
Sonny@TireRack.com
GolfMK6 Official Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleman View Post
Ok. Is this what you would recommend then?

(1) Set of 4 - KT962 Style 16" ABS
Price: $40.00 for 1
(4) New Steel Wheel 16X6.5 Black Painted
Price: $224.00 for 4
(4) 205/55R16 Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D
Price: $496.00 for 4
(these would qualify for the $50 rebate , correct?)
That is our preferred package. There are of course other options for alloys if you prefer. Yes sir, that would be eligible for the $50 mail in rebate.

Sonny
Old 09-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #21
Simmsled
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: my wife crazy.
Why the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3Ds
over all other snows for the preferred package?
Old 09-13-2011, 02:20 PM   #22
Sonny@TireRack.com
GolfMK6 Official Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmsled View Post
Why the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3Ds
over all other snows for the preferred package?
Our engineers try to match the tire to the specific application (sportier vehicles will often be paired with performance ice and snow tires) taking into account what the vehicle is capable of. There are certainly other tires out there that will work as good, but for a mix of price and performance, the Dunlop is excellent. If you live in an area that is poorly plowed and don't care how the tires handle on dry pavement (Buick-esque to coin a phrase), there are better options like the Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 or the Michelin X-ice Xi2 that are better tires to get you through worse conditions.

Last edited by Sonny@TireRack.com; 09-13-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Sonny@TireRack.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #23
exsuby
Ready to race!

Drives: 2011 GTI 2dr CSG
Quote:
Our preferred package for the 2011 would be 205/55R16 Dunlop Winter Sport 3D with 16x6.5 steelies. The total would be $720 plus shipping and any applicable taxes (quoted without tire pressure sensors which run $53.00 each if you need them)

Do the steelies have the correct offset and do I need to buy lugbolts and centering rings?
exsuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #24
Sonny@TireRack.com
GolfMK6 Official Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by exsuby View Post
Do the steelies have the correct offset and do I need to buy lugbolts and centering rings?
Steelies will be ET42. We will send new lugbolts and no centering rings are neccessary.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:41 PM   #25
Simmsled
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: my wife crazy.
I can't pin what the Pirelli Sottozero Serie II tires are. The description indicates that its not necessarily a 'snowbelt' tire, but yet its a winter/snow tire? The price looks real good and I've been thinking about picking up 2 sets (one for me, one for the wife). I live in Indianapolis where we don't get as much snow as South Bend. Thoughts?
Old 09-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #26
Sonny@TireRack.com
GolfMK6 Official Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmsled View Post
I can't pin what the Pirelli Sottozero Serie II tires are. The description indicates that its not necessarily a 'snowbelt' tire, but yet its a winter/snow tire? The price looks real good and I've been thinking about picking up 2 sets (one for me, one for the wife). I live in Indianapolis where we don't get as much snow as South Bend. Thoughts?
They are dedicated winter/snow tires. I think this may have to do with the wording in the description you read on our site. "The Winter 210 Sottozero Serie II was developed with the philosophy that winter / snow tires must perform in a variety of unpredictable weather conditions and aren't just for use in the snowbelt states." The tires are meant to be suitable for areas that experience a variety of winter season weather conditions: slush, snow, ice, dry roads in freezing or near freezing temperatures.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:15 AM   #27
kniteshift
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2012 VW GTI Autobahn
year: 2012
make: vw
model: gti
tires only or winter package: winter package
kniteshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #28
Sonny@TireRack.com
GolfMK6 Official Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kniteshift View Post
year: 2012
make: vw
model: gti
tires only or winter package: winter package
Being from the Bay area, I assume you make some trips to Tahoe (correct?). If this is the case, I would probably go with a performance winter tire such as the one in our preferred package, Dunlop Winter Sport 3D or perhaps the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3. The performance winter tire will give you the benefit of far better snow and ice traction than an all-season while still maintaining decent dry road handling (which will probably be what you encounter a majority of the time).