GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 09-26-2011, 10:57 AM   #43
Stuart M
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2011 GTI 4 door Black
If you drop wheel size by 2" should tire size not increase by 2" i.e 205/65/16 to keep same outside diameter of wheel?
Stuart M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:50 AM   #44
Sonny@TireRack.com
GolfMK6 Official Vendor

Drives: My kids crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
If you drop wheel size by 2" should tire size not increase by 2" i.e 205/65/16 to keep same outside diameter of wheel?
Correct. When you minus size, you do less wheel and more tire to keep the diameter as close as possible to stock (within 3% of the original size).
Old 09-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #45
Stuart M
Passed Driver's Ed

Beside maybe poorer handling (which isnt a concern in winter) is there a reason not to 65instead of 55. I'm lucky enough to be spending the winter in north Jersey which may be pot hole capital of north east.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:45 PM   #46
roastpuff
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: Mk6 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
Beside maybe poorer handling (which isnt a concern in winter) is there a reason not to 65instead of 55. I'm lucky enough to be spending the winter in north Jersey which may be pot hole capital of north east.
205/65 will be too big and mess up the speedo, and possibly rub as well... You want to stay within 3% of original diameter as said.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:01 PM   #47
Stuart M
Passed Driver's Ed

I must be missing something:
205/40/18 diameter = 537.2mm
205/65/16 diameter = 536.4mm
205/55/16 diameter = 516..4mm
Old 09-26-2011, 05:27 PM   #48
roastpuff
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: Mk6 GTI
Best way to illustrate it:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	1647
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	13315  
Old 09-26-2011, 05:31 PM   #49
Sonny@TireRack.com
GolfMK6 Official Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
205/65 will be too big and mess up the speedo, and possibly rub as well... You want to stay within 3% of original diameter as said.
What he said.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:52 PM   #50
TurtleJames
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
I can vouch that the Dunlop 3D's did a great job for me last winter. When are you guys planning on switching over. I'm thinking begining of November in Jersey.
TurtleJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:13 AM   #51
Stuart M
Passed Driver's Ed

Math.....( Thanks for pointing out my lack of it

I'm going to swap over mid November.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:00 AM   #52
techbiker
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI 2dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny@TireRack.com View Post
Correct. When you minus size, you do less wheel and more tire to keep the diameter as close as possible to stock (within 3% of the original size).
Forgive me if I'm missing something, but if the outside diameter of the tire stays the same (or within 3% of original) then what is the point of going with a 16" wheel versus a 17" or 18"?

I thought the idea was that a smaller wheel diameter leads to a smaller footprint, but if the OD of the tire is the same then where does that smaller footprint come from?
Old 09-29-2011, 09:28 AM   #53
Sonny@TireRack.com
GolfMK6 Official Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by techbiker View Post
Forgive me if I'm missing something, but if the outside diameter of the tire stays the same (or within 3% of original) then what is the point of going with a 16" wheel versus a 17" or 18"?

I thought the idea was that a smaller wheel diameter leads to a smaller footprint, but if the OD of the tire is the same then where does that smaller footprint come from?
There are several benefits of minus sizing:

Less wheel gives you more sidewall for pothole protection.

Smaller diameter wheels are often narrower than their larger counterparts which will in turn allow for a narrower tire.

Lastly, the smaller sizes are usually more cost effective.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:35 PM   #54
TheWombat
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2011 Golf GTI 2dr 6spd Manual
2012 2dr GTI manual

We get a lot of snow and I live at a relatively high elevation on a dirt road, and drive on a lot of hills into work each day. So the 16" package sounds good, for the conditions. But we also have to put snows on in early November, and they stay on until late March or early April (yes, we've had accumulations later than that even) usually. I've never minus sized before but it seems that's the best bad weather choice--I'm just a tad worried that if it doesn't snow enough, I'll be driving a lot on dry pavement in crappy tires! Guess that's better than driving into a ditch in the snow, though.
TheWombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:59 AM   #55
Sonny@TireRack.com
GolfMK6 Official Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWombat View Post
2012 2dr GTI manual

We get a lot of snow and I live at a relatively high elevation on a dirt road, and drive on a lot of hills into work each day. So the 16" package sounds good, for the conditions. But we also have to put snows on in early November, and they stay on until late March or early April (yes, we've had accumulations later than that even) usually. I've never minus sized before but it seems that's the best bad weather choice--I'm just a tad worried that if it doesn't snow enough, I'll be driving a lot on dry pavement in crappy tires! Guess that's better than driving into a ditch in the snow, though.
If you live in an area where you get significant accumulation or maybe the plow doesn't get there as early or often as it should, I would go with something like the Blizzak WS70 or Michelin X-Ice Xi2. Of the two, the Bridgestone would have the better winter traction (very close though) and the Michelin would be a little better handling on the dry roads (not as good as a performance winter tire, but better than the WS70).
Old 09-30-2011, 02:53 PM   #56
TheWombat
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2011 Golf GTI 2dr 6spd Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny@TireRack.com View Post
If you live in an area where you get significant accumulation or maybe the plow doesn't get there as early or often as it should, I would go with something like the Blizzak WS70 or Michelin X-Ice Xi2. Of the two, the Bridgestone would have the better winter traction (very close though) and the Michelin would be a little better handling on the dry roads (not as good as a performance winter tire, but better than the WS70).
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Thanks; I have a set of Michelin X-Ice Xi2 tires used but one winter--but their for my old car, 225 45R18, dang it. They worked very well last winter on a Fusion Sport.
TheWombat is offline   Reply With Quote