GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 11-17-2009, 10:45 AM   #57
SoFlaGTI
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2010 Carbon Steel Gray VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by itzalexbish View Post
ive beenn gettin the same noise...somewhat like a baseball card on a bike...did u find out what it is?!
It only did it when going really hard around a corner, I have tried cornering like that again, but the noise didn't return. Someone said that it's something to do with the way the car is put together, and it stops after a few days/weeks. I am hoping so, since mine stopped doing that. It could also be a wheel bearing that is no bueno... see below.

Also, I am wondering, does anyone elses car sound like a wheel bearing is shot when driving at about 60 in 6th with DSG? the noise comes from the front wheels, so I don't think it's the typical drone from exhaust and stuff.
SoFlaGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:50 AM   #58
mongo
Oval Newbie

Drives: '10 CSG GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteydog View Post
Wow.. GTI definitely has some initial quality issues!

I would be very annoyed by the rear washer leakage, but VW should be able to address that easily, esp. the problem appears to be wide-spread.

Now all other intermittent noises to me are the issues that VW can explain away and leave the owners with love-hate relationships with their GTI... I am in the market for a new GTI and am doing research before buying it... Well, I am glad I am doing my research! I am a bit discouraged at this time and will wait a bit before getting the car, if I am to buy a GTI...

I have owned a Passat and had a great experience with the car but disliked the experience with the VW service... I am hoping GTI would be a more reliable car so that I don't have to see VW service department more than just for the regular routine maintenance...

Thanks guys for all your input! It's very valuable to potential buyers, and I am sure VW will have to pay attention to the owners if we all put pressure for better cars from them! Definitely don't let VW get away with explaining issues away! We should expect more from them so that they will keep on improving their quality.
You and I have different ideas about initial quality issues. With the thousands of parts on a car, I consider it pretty awesome that the major issue with the car is a leaky nozzle on the back windshield. You should go over to northamericanmotoring.com (a MINI site) and check out their "stock problems/issues" subforum. The "cold start issue" (it's stickied) for the R55, R56, and R57 models is what I would call a real issue.
mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:34 PM   #59
koolgreen
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 CSG 6mt detroits
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleman View Post
Isthis noise specific to a specific build date? (I'm not sure how you tell build date in VW).

I haven't had any rattling/noise from doors, or wind noise from sunroof either.

The build date and country of manufacture is usually on the drivers door jam near the latch.
With serial etc.........
________
Wendie 99

Last edited by koolgreen; 05-16-2011 at 01:30 PM.
koolgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #60
peteydog
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo View Post
You and I have different ideas about initial quality issues. With the thousands of parts on a car, I consider it pretty awesome that the major issue with the car is a leaky nozzle on the back windshield. You should go over to northamericanmotoring.com (a MINI site) and check out their "stock problems/issues" subforum. The "cold start issue" (it's stickied) for the R55, R56, and R57 models is what I would call a real issue.
yikes! I hope that GTI owners won't find any issue like that down the road! What a nightmare it would be for me!

My concern isn't really with the leaky nozzle problem. I know that can be addressed easily. It's more about those intermittent noises from somewhere in GTI (transmission, suspension, doors, radio, etc...) that many people have experienced in their first 1 - 2 months of ownership... Probably being paranoid, I can't help but wonder if the root cause of the noise is truly what the VW service says or it's a prelude to something more serious... Furthermore, regardless of the severity of the issues, it requires time to take the car in and leave with the service, which means loss of use of your car for a day or more. I don't think most people who buy $30K car would expect to return to the dealership within 1 month for any unscheduled service!

I am not going to compare VW to other car companies because there are always better and worse. My point is if we as owners can put pressure on VW to build better quality cars, it's a win-win situation for both VW and us! I think we shouldn't expect anything less than excellence from a car company like VW that is capable to build awesome cars.
peteydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:47 PM   #61
boosted
Oval Newbie

Drives:
Does anyone notice that weird wind noise in the cabin with all the windows up and the moonroof slide back about halfway?
boosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #62
Chris@APR
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2010 CW GTI APR (STG3)
Send a message via AIM to Chris@APR
Yes, it is the plastic vent looking piece on the moonrood slider (the piece with fabric on it). The pastic where the handle is to slide it back, it makes an annoying like tapping sound.

2006 UG GTI APR Stage 4 (Sold)
2010 Candy White GTI APR Stage 3 Hotness
Chris@APR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:12 PM   #63
dthomas53
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: MkVI CSG, 2DR, Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by kozluv View Post
Does anyone notice that weird wind noise in the cabin with all the windows up and the moonroof slide back about halfway?
I believe it also has to do with the pressure. If you open your windows a crack, you'll notice it goes away (i.e. allows the air to flow freely out).
dthomas53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:58 AM   #64
boosted
Oval Newbie

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomas53 View Post
I believe it also has to do with the pressure. If you open your windows a crack, you'll notice it goes away (i.e. allows the air to flow freely out).
It does not happen in the MK5 Jetta.
boosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:06 PM   #65
drewnyc
Ready to race!

Drives: Mk6 Golf TDI
I have door clicking noises and an occasional buzzing noise from front dash area.

Took it to the dealer - they looked at it but couldn't find cause...
drewnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:47 PM   #66
STEF mrk6gti
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: vw golf gti dsg black 4dr 09 plate
5000 mile 2 month every fine luv the dsg gearbox its amazing need to get fancy exhaust for the turbo bk then a reemapp should do the trik
STEF mrk6gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:09 AM   #67
Super Steve
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 5dr MKVI GTI
i definatly have a leaky rear washer nozzle (although not alot. it discharges 3 dropish washer fluid on the hatch window)
You can see the dry makrs every now and then its wet. Also the nozzle it self looks wet (shiny)
Super Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:23 AM   #68
dthomas53
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: MkVI CSG, 2DR, Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleman View Post
How loud is this grinding noise? I've got a 2010 GTI with MT, nearly 700 miles on it. I listened carefully last night and again this AM and cannot hear any grinding noise in 1st or any other gear with windows closed, radio off. I cannot feel anything abnormal either. Isthis noise specific to a specific build date? (I'm not sure how you tell build date in VW).

I haven't had any rattling/noise from doors, or wind noise from sunroof either.
The grinding noise doesn't seem to have anything to do with the engine, and only starts as you begin to engage the clutch. If I leave it in neutral and simply rev the engine, there is no noise. And if you have to listen that hard, then you don't have it, which is good.

Not sure about it being specific to build dates...
dthomas53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:54 AM   #69
mongo
Oval Newbie

Drives: '10 CSG GTI
We have come up with a working hypothesis at my dealership for the leaking rear washer nozzle. The thought is that because the GTI has a much bigger/thicker rear spoiler, it must have an extension tube in it for the rear washer fluid. After the rear washer jet gets used, a little bit of fluid will remain in that extension tube. As you drive, a mixture of going over the right bumps, or traveling at speeds that will provide the right air movement over the nozzle head will cause that little bit left in the tube to leak out... At least, that seems to be a reasonable explanation to explain my experiences with leaking washer fluid from the rear.

I also mentioned a squeaking that I had thought was coming from the passenger door. As it turns out, it was not coming from the door. It was coming from the passenger seat. I have the leather seats. The seat was adjusted just right so that when I went over bumps the leather where the back and butt meet would squeak. The solution was just recline the seat a single notch.
mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:18 AM   #70
golfmk6jerzey
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: Candy White manual 2 door 2010 GTI
Send a message via AIM to golfmk6jerzey
Is it normal when im driving over 70-80 mph the driver doorr sounds like air is going through it and feels as if the door is slightly open but not.?....anyone hear that at fast speeds?
golfmk6jerzey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gti issues