GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AWE Turbo Back/Stage Two Review

Bender1

Banned
On Friday AWE installed my Turbo Back (w/ Polished Silver Round Tips). I put about 80 miles on it in the past 48 hours and drove as much of it enthusiastically as possible. I am really going to end up reviewing three separate things below first the TBE for look and sound, then Stage Two in general, then the AWE Stage Two Power Pack as that is the equivalent of my current modifications.

First the exhaust:
I do not think I have to go into the physical aspect of it too much. Just like the other things they produce it is absolutely top notch in build and appearance. The tips fit PERFECTLY and look stunning. Absolutely stunning. I went with the silver as their maintenance is a bit lower than the diamond black.

What everyone likely is interested in is the sound. To preface, I am going on 30, interested in go not show, dislike drawing attention to myself when unwanted, have a 37 mile one way commute, and don't want to set car alarms off in my neighborhood as I drive by. That said, I am a car guy (as you all know) and a deep rumble that announces itself when you get on it has an irresistible allure.

This is exactly what the AWE TBE does.

In standard cruising its just bold enough so that you know its there. It not loud, but it has a great low pitch. There is no drone at any speed or RPM range. I had a very drone prone exhaust on my last car and this certainly is not it. This is more like a finely tuned instrument.

When you get on it, the analogy continues, it makes its presence known but it does so with great tone and at a great volume. Its loud but not obnoxious. There is something critical that videos of the unit do not capture. Not only is it a great tone but it is RICH. Its like a having a whole orchestra rather than a solo artist.

Great sound in every situation and great appearance. Overall, its perfect.

Stage two:
I have one thing to say to the people that "Stage Two doesn't add any power" or "Stage Two is no good down low":

Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Yes, all tunes are different but I have a hard time believing that they are SO different that this doesn't stand for all of them.

There is a significant amount of power across the entire power band. Its like the smoothness from Stage 1 is just shifted up in the power band. Its truly amazing, smooth, usable power that is available on-demand. If Stage 1 is how the car should come from the factory, then Stage Two (at minimum) is what all enthusiasts should get.

Zero to Sixty is great but Sixty to 100 is mind blowing. Get it. Now.

Stage Two Power Pack:
It must be noted that I am not running Stage Two independently, but with all available supporting mods. AWE calls this the Stage Two Power Pack (if you buy it in a bundle), but I will generally refer to it as Stage 2+. I have included links to the other "power pack" parts below. Regardless of which tuner you use, I HIGHLY recommend all of these parts BEFORE anyone goes Stage 2. No they are not necessary, but the fullness/richness/smoothness of everything will make that Stage 2 tune even more pleasant.

Stage 1 Review:
http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15401

S3 intercooler and TOP review:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=273409#post273409

CCB Intake Review:
http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21463

Stage 1.5 Consolidated review:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=320058&postcount=269

Build Thread:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11277

Bender1

Banned
Thanks Bender. Sure wish my AWE CBE would get here....It's been almost 8 weeks (ordered at Waterfest)....<sigh>

Mine was 8 to the day. They are trying to hire another fabricator but haven't found anyone qualified.

Bender1

Banned
Glad to hear that you are loving the AWE TBE!

I really am. I love that I could easily take a client/the boss/my baby niece for a ride and no one would even realize it was modded, but that if I got on her, she would sing from on high.

Its perfect.

crashdb

Go Kart Champion
I'm waiting as well on my downpipe from them--AND my CCB. After that it's the reflash. I didn't go with their cat-back only because I found a smoking deal on Magnaflow.

I was hoping that I was going to make the BBQ and everything would magically be there and I could get the reflash while I ate. BUT it's too late in the day for me to drive all the way up there and drive back.

Norsk

Go Kart Champion
I really am. I love that I could easily take a client/the boss/my baby niece for a ride and no one would even realize it was modded, but that if I got on her, she would sing from on high.

Its perfect.

Yup, it does sing when you step on it. :D

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
What everyone likely is interested in is the sound. To preface, I am going on 30, interested in go not show, dislike drawing attention to myself when unwanted, have a 37 mile one way commute, and don't want to set car alarms off in my neighborhood as I drive by. That said, I am a car guy (as you all know) and a deep rumble that announces itself when you get on it has an irresistible allure.

Being 40 and having had large cammed V8 cars running no cats and straight pipes in the past, I can really appreciate this comment. Quiet/sleeper is essential to me now. I commute 75 miles each way to work and on my last commuter (Genesis 3.8 Track) I did three different cat-back exhaust systems in 6 months and ended up back at stock to avoid the drone that all the manufacturers claimed didn't exist.

Thanks for all the details. :thumbsup:

Bender1

Banned
Worth it is something only you can judge.

Yes, I think its best to use the downpipe the program was made for (as is in the AWE/GIAC case since they work so closely together) BUT there are loads of really good downpipes out there.

Would love to see Plac's input.

I personally wouldn't go any other way.

P

plac

am i answering the right question?

all catted downpipes and tunes are the close enough to the same to me, as far as POWER.. doesnt make any bit of a difference using different brand downpipes with diff brand tunes. but the quality/fitment/flange-types of the downpipes are how they all differ.

Bender1

Banned
am i answering the right question?

all catted downpipes and tunes are the close enough to the same to me, as far as POWER.. doesnt make any bit of a difference using different brand downpipes with diff brand tunes. but the quality/fitment/flange-types of the downpipes are how they all differ.

:thumbsup: