GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbocharger muffler delete?

sgessler2011

Ready to race!
Reading up on APR and their k04 kit, I learned that the oem turbocharger on our GTis has a muffler to reduce the sound of the turbo. I'm certain I'm not alone, I want to hear that sound. Is their any way to remove the turbocharger muffler and replace the flange? I'm guessing ours are factory flanged wth this muffler and it's not a bolt on change.
That would be a great modification just to hear the smaller k03 spooling up.
Tonight I was at a red light and saw a rare Buick Grand National. The car hammered the gas crossing my intersection. The sound of the turbo spooling up sounded like a giant electric motor. I want more of that sound.
Any thoughts? Anyone Frye, Bueller?

Red Dragon1

Passed Driver's Ed
I could be wrong, but judging buy the look of my standard turbo (sitting on the garage bench) it doesnt appear to have a turbo muffler.

Do you have the stage 1 and 2 carbonio intake? I had a reasonably decent whistle with the standard turbo.

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
I could be wrong, but judging buy the look of my standard turbo (sitting on the garage bench) it doesnt appear to have a turbo muffler.

Do you have the stage 1 and 2 carbonio intake? I had a reasonably decent whistle with the standard turbo.

I think I read previously that we do have a turbo muffler in the stock K03...could be mistaken, though.

Bigmack74

Ready to race!
That's crazy that VW would muffle the turbo.

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
That's crazy that VW would muffle the turbo.

Not really...they are trying to appeal to a broad audience...more people would prefer it quiet than loud. You have to understand, not everyone that buys these cars is an enthusiast. Even those that are don't necessarily want noisy turbos. It's better business to build the car in a refined and quiet manner than to make it growl, roar and scream. The people that want that are way outnumbered and can simply modify the car to add volume to various components.

Bigmack74

Ready to race!
Not really...they are trying to appeal to a broad audience...more people would prefer it quiet than loud. You have to understand, not everyone that buys these cars is an enthusiast. Even those that are don't necessarily want noisy turbos. It's better business to build the car in a refined and quiet manner than to make it growl, roar and scream. The people that want that are way outnumbered and can simply modify the car to add volume to various components.

Good point

darian

Ready to race!
If you are talking about the mk6 gti with tsi engine than you should know that you dont have the k03 turbo you have the newer IHI one

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

iamhoward

Ready to race!
there are many things from the turbo to the exhaust tips that muffle the sound, including the turbo, the more you remove the more sound you will hear

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
If you are talking about the mk6 gti with tsi engine than you should know that you dont have the k03 turbo you have the newer IHI one

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

THIS

iglex

Reading up on APR and their k04 kit, I learned that the oem turbocharger on our GTis has a muffler to reduce the sound of the turbo. I'm certain I'm not alone, I want to hear that sound. Is their any way to remove the turbocharger muffler and replace the flange? I'm guessing ours are factory flanged wth this muffler and it's not a bolt on change.
That would be a great modification just to hear the smaller k03 spooling up.
Tonight I was at a red light and saw a rare Buick Grand National. The car hammered the gas crossing my intersection. The sound of the turbo spooling up sounded like a giant electric motor. I want more of that sound.
Any thoughts? Anyone Frye, Bueller?

Yes, the factory IHI turbocharger has a small turbo muffler.

Here's a picture:

It is cast and would require a significant amount of effort to remove for (most likely) minimal benefits. I'd recommend looking at other methods for improving the sound of your car.

Bigmack74

Ready to race!

Here's a picture:

It is cast and would require a significant amount of effort to remove for (most likely) minimal benefits. I'd recommend looking at other methods for improving the sound of your car.

:w00t: thanks for the pic

sgessler2011

Ready to race!

Here's a picture:

I think this answered my question. I have APR stage 1 and their Carbonio intake. The turbo is more noticeable, however as an enthusiast of forced fed motors I would enjoy hearing it more. I know that the VW group must make their cars appeal to all audiences, this means a rather quiet car. Thanks everyone for your input.
Steve

sgessler2011

Ready to race!

You are 100% correct..