GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hill start assist

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Hey everyone,

I just picked up my new 2012 Candy White GTI four door Friday. I'm loving it so far! I have the base model with the 6 speed manual transmission and was just curious to hear some opinions on the hill start assist feature. So far, I really don't like it.

It feels like I'm fighting the brakes when I take off from a start on a hill and I've actually stalled once because of this. I've been driving a manual for about 5-6 years, and am very confident that I am quite proficient. Is the feeling of this system something you get used to eventually? It's certainly not a huge thing, and one of the only things I don't care for thus far... Just curious to hear some other thoughts on it.

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
yeah I'm not a huge fan of it either...I notice it in the morning, I shift it into reverse and it holds the brakes on (even when flat). I find it unnerving

Odd, I actually like this feature. Works great for me. You can modify or disable with VCDS though if you choose.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
yeah I'm not a huge fan of it either...I notice it in the morning, I shift it into reverse and it holds the brakes on (even when flat). I find it unnerving

That as the issue around here, stuff that is seemingly flat turns out it wasn't and is a slight hill so its on. You attempt to move the car doesn't you let off suddenly it goes backwards, turns out to be worse.

My driveway is close to 45 degrees in one part, it was fun to stop on it and have the car hold, but its so steep you still weren't getting started without doing a burnout.. just had to roll back and start a the bottom.

Krazy_Z

Go Kart Champion
I use it only once in a while in the UK. I have never noticed it begin a fight against the brakes I have even tested it once you come out on the clutch more than 50% the brakes release thus allowing the car to move forward with no issues. I kind of like this feature even though I don't use it to much.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
Odd, I actually like this feature. Works great for me. You can modify or disable with VCDS though if you choose.

long island is flat :)

If I lived in an area where most roads were flat but had steep hills I could see it. In GA you can't go 100feet forward without changing 25ft in elevation, nothing in this state is flat so everytime you leave a stop sign it feels like someone put the parking brake on.

techbiker

Passed Driver's Ed
The hill assist on mine shuts off the moment you touch the gas pedal and doesn't activate if you're facing downhill unless you're in reverse.

If you don't hit the gas at all the hill assist deactivates (brakes release) after 2 or 3 seconds.

Did they change its configuration for 2012?

mikeh61

Ready to race!
i turned mine off too. i've been driving a stick for 10+ years, so my foot work is quick and the hill hold assist caused me to stall a few times in traffic on slight inclines

BigRobSA

Ready to race!
Glad my 2010 didn't come with this crap.

I already have "hill start assist", it's called a brain and a working left and right foot.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like it could be nice. Downtown Seattle has long and super steep hills all over.

I do appreciate having it - especially when its raining as it makes it easier to maintain traction and not having to counter gravity on our incredibly steep hills.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
The hill assist on mine shuts off the moment you touch the gas pedal and doesn't activate if you're facing downhill unless you're in reverse.

If you don't hit the gas at all the hill assist deactivates (brakes release) after 2 or 3 seconds.

Mine definitely doesn't seem to get off of the brakes right when the gas pedal is touched. It won't let the car roll back at all it seems, it just feels really odd. That being said, I'm still "getting used" to the car, so maybe I could learn to like it. I didn't know I could disable it, I better spend some quality time with my owners manual.

0cMk6

Passed Driver's Ed
i was wondering if the US version had this feature on the 2012 gti.. is this feature a standard feature? or does it come with a specific package?

fredf

Go Kart Champion

Same here. I think it's a great feature.