GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 09-29-2011, 02:05 AM   #1
Red Dragon
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2010 Golf GTI Mk6
Rev D diverter valve???

I have noticed alot of you guys have got Rev D Diverter Valves. Whats the difference/advantage of these over stock?

Last edited by Red Dragon; 09-29-2011 at 02:31 AM.
Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:59 AM   #2
sgessler2011
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: Now: MK7 GTI PP, traded in my 2011
If you have suffered a sudden loss of boost a likely culprit is a torn diverter valve. Since many of us have confirmed that our cars have the piston type which is more robust and can't tear its not an issue. On my 2011 I have a C type. I replaced it with a D thinking the C was the old style that was bound to tear. Wrong, now I have a spare piston type. So, leave it alone until it fails.
Steve

Then: 2011GTI Carbon Steel Gray DSG
1992 Corrado SLC VR6
sgessler2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
GTIwannagofast
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2010 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgessler2011 View Post
If you have suffered a sudden loss of boost a likely culprit is a torn diverter valve. Since many of us have confirmed that our cars have the piston type which is more robust and can't tear its not an issue. On my 2011 I have a C type. I replaced it with a D thinking the C was the old style that was bound to tear. Wrong, now I have a spare piston type. So, leave it alone until it fails.
Steve

if it isn't broke, don't fix it.
GTIwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:06 AM   #4
GTIwannagofast
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dragon View Post
I have noticed alot of you guys have got Rev D Diverter Valves. Whats the difference/advantage of these over stock?
i've also came across a whole bunch of threads for this topic... search for 'em.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
xHeartcoreboyx
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: '10 CW 2DR GTI DSG
I installed it for the peace of mind, my stock one was a rubber one, the mechanic told me this will hold boost a lot better and is far less likely to break.

xHeartcoreboyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:08 AM   #6
DBESTGTI
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2011 Stage 2 GTI
There is no reason to buy the Rev D. People do it so they can fix a problem that no longer exists. I think people just want to have a longer mod list.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:34 AM   #7
Hilfloskind
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI CSG 4d/6s
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBESTGTI View Post
There is no reason to buy the Rev D. People do it so they can fix a problem that no longer exists. I think people just want to have a longer mod list.
This^
Grambles' Unicorn Gym Theory
My Build Thread
Hilfloskind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:43 AM   #8
NeoSA
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2011 G6 GTI DSG
Quote:
Wrong.

If you are running on anything that includes stage 1 and above and you're using the Rev. G (diaphragm) DV - then there is a reason to replace it with either a D or a C piston type DV.

The rubber diaphragm DV's do not last very long on modified GTi's with higher boost pressures. This is a known fact and is the single biggest point of failure on modified GTis. I'm surprised you don't know that?

Rubber diaphragm Diverter valves fail all the time. Replacing them with a stronger, more reliable piston type DV is the logical thing to do. End of story.
NeoSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:46 AM   #9
Hilfloskind
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI CSG 4d/6s
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSA View Post
Wrong.

If you are running on anything that includes stage 1 and above and you're using the Rev. G (diaphragm) DV - then there is a reason to replace it with either a D or a C piston type DV.

The rubber diaphragm DV's do not last very long on modified GTi's with higher boost pressures. This is a known fact and is the single biggest point of failure on modified GTis. I'm surprised you don't know that?

Rubber diaphragm Diverter valves fail all the time. Replacing them with a stronger, more reliable piston type DV is the logical thing to do. End of story.

...evidence of this?
Grambles' Unicorn Gym Theory
My Build Thread
Hilfloskind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:00 AM   #10
GTIwannagofast
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilfloskind View Post
...evidence of this?

just sayin they fail all the time doesn't mean anything. we need proof, maybe a poll thread will end this debate.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:01 AM   #11
GTIwannagofast
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIwannagofast View Post

just sayin they fail all the time doesn't mean anything. we need proof, maybe a poll thread will end this debate.
.... i don't know how to do that
Old 09-29-2011, 11:48 AM   #12
fredf
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
Quote:
Wrong.

If you are running on anything that includes stage 1 and above and you're using the ______ (insert clutch or other component that you are worried about)- then there is a reason to replace it with ____________(insert your favourite upgrade eg: Southbend clutch).

Why wait, pull out your wallet and re-do a number of OEM parts in anticipation of a possible failure.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:30 PM   #13
DBESTGTI
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2011 Stage 2 GTI
Quote:
Wrong.

Wrong.

The MK6 TSI's do not have the divertor valve problems the older models did. I'm surprised you don't know that? The stock valve is fine. End of story.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #14
VW-TX
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI AutoBahn, DSG, Candy White
Quote:
Wrong.

The MK6 TSI's do not have the divertor valve problems the older models did. I'm surprised you don't know that? The stock valve is fine. End of story.
Well I have seen enough proof on these forums to know this isn't true.