GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Mods (interior & exterior modifications)

Old 10-01-2011, 06:45 PM   #15
omgturbo!
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2010 GTI, blk full option - 6spd MT
holy crap, thats a lot of work just for a sliding cover for the cup holders...
REVO Stage 1 | Neuspeed P-Flo intake | Custom exhaust | Eurojet Downpipe | Yellow Nokya Fogs | BSH mount insert | VF Engineering Short Shifter | Tiquan pipe (Noise Pipe Delete) | 30% Front, 3% Rear Tint | 1000w JL Audio Amp and W7 Subwoofer | Video-In-Motion | Klii Vinyl rear/wheel insert | Smoked Sidemarkers | Everything LED | VagCOM by me!!
I have VagCOM! | My Feedback Thread! | HellaFast Autosport
omgturbo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #16
andy_uranium
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2011 mk6 GTI CW, 2004 Acura TSX
Nice work on the DYI! How much are the holders and where did you get it from? Anything else to the holder other than the retractable cover? I wonder why VW wouldn't just make this the standard holder. I mean it must have cost a lot to develop and tool for separate parts testing etc.... Just saying.
2011 CW GTI - DSG, Leather, LED R tails, OEM front lip, color matched side markers, red footwell leds, klii plaid vinyl accents, DG springs, Unibrace XB, UB and RB - OZ supertourismo LMs - Hankook V12 evo
andy_uranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #17
inc55
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2015 GTI Autobahn 4-Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgturbo! View Post
It really isn't and I'm lazy!
Old 10-01-2011, 07:31 PM   #18
inc55
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_uranium View Post
Nice work on the DYI! How much are the holders and where did you get it from? Anything else to the holder other than the retractable cover? I wonder why VW wouldn't just make this the standard holder. I mean it must have cost a lot to develop and tool for separate parts testing etc.... Just saying.
It is the standard... In places where people pay a lot for their gti's. The cup holder is very elegant and the bottle opener not only acts as a divider but it helps keep drinks tight so they don't move around (it's slides back and forward). The original cup holders just ruined the appearance of my beautiful interior. I bought it from ecstuning (don't forget to purchase the rear rubber insert separately and the bottle opener.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:49 PM   #19
Banshee
FIA GT Champion

Drives: GTI
I wanted to do this but now seeing the install...idk if I can justify it especially for around one hundred doll hairs.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:45 PM   #20
llcreeperll
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2011 MKVI GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgturbo! View Post
X-f***ing-2!!! lol
Old 10-03-2011, 08:11 AM   #21
CadMan
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2DR / CW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by inc55 View Post
It is the standard... In places where people pay a lot for their gti's. The cup holder is very elegant and the bottle opener not only acts as a divider but it helps keep drinks tight so they don't move around (it's slides back and forward). The original cup holders just ruined the appearance of my beautiful interior. I bought it from ecstuning (don't forget to purchase the rear rubber insert separately and the bottle opener.
Where can you purchase the rear rubber insert?
Old 10-03-2011, 08:24 AM   #22
inc55
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadMan View Post
Where can you purchase the rear rubber insert?
Ecstuning. When you read the product description for the euro cup holder they give you the item number for the rear insert.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:41 AM   #23
TurtleJames
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
Cool write up bro. Glad you got it done. Did you figure out the airbag thing?
TurtleJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #24
inc55
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleJames View Post
Cool write up bro. Glad you got it done. Did you figure out the airbag thing?
No, I'll need to take it to the dealer.

Thx
Old 10-03-2011, 05:18 PM   #25
TurtleJames
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by inc55 View Post
No, I'll need to take it to the dealer.

Thx
Stop by my office sometime this week during the day, and I'll clear the codes for you if you want. Sometimes those lights just come on when you disconnect and reconnect the wires. Let me know.
TurtleJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #26
BonJovic
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: '11 DSG TR GTI
super informative DIY, but seeing how much was needed to take apart in order to install such a minor mod, doesnt seem worth it to me.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #27
168 GTi
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2011 Gti 3dr DSG
Looks great, the euro cup holder is definitely one of my fave mods. IMO well worth the effort, and if you follow the DIY and take your time its not that difficult really. Although it depends on how much use you can get from the euro cup holder. Me personally I use it everyday as I keep my parking pass for work there.
168 GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:58 AM   #28
omgturbo!
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2010 GTI, blk full option - 6spd MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 168 GTi View Post
Looks great, the euro cup holder is definitely one of my fave mods. IMO well worth the effort, and if you follow the DIY and take your time its not that difficult really. Although it depends on how much use you can get from the euro cup holder. Me personally I use it everyday as I keep my parking pass for work there.
I know Its probably easy, but not worth it for me. A previous car of mine had that and it stayed open. Our factory cup holders have a middle section for a redbull. Awesome. So I'm losing out on a bottle opener. I have one on my keychain. Or I could use a lighter. Or anything (college taught me well).

Props to OP tho. Excellent write up. And if its worth it to him/anyone else, cool. Just not for me.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
REVO Stage 1 | Neuspeed P-Flo intake | Custom exhaust | Eurojet Downpipe | Yellow Nokya Fogs | BSH mount insert | VF Engineering Short Shifter | Tiquan pipe (Noise Pipe Delete) | 30% Front, 3% Rear Tint | 1000w JL Audio Amp and W7 Subwoofer | Video-In-Motion | Klii Vinyl rear/wheel insert | Smoked Sidemarkers | Everything LED | VagCOM by me!!
I have VagCOM! | My Feedback Thread! | HellaFast Autosport
omgturbo! is offline   Reply With Quote