GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Budget System Build Plan - Looking for Feedback

TomMcD

Ready to race!
Starting with a base 2011 GTI 2 door and RCD-310 4x20w, 8 way stock speakers. I intend to do all the work myself, something I am comfortable with. Especially after getting quoted $2600 for basically this same setup installed. I believe I can complete this for half that.

Goal: Stealth SQ on a budget. I'm looking for a system that will hold together at high volumes, but not require them to get the most out of it. I listen to something from every type of music out there. Classic Rock, Modern Rock, Techno, C&W, Classical, HipHop, Showtunes, (yes showtunes) as a partial list, often at modest volume but occasionally not.

Proposed parts list:
Head unit: Stock - I want to keep the integration and don't want flash. If I found a good deal on a take out RNS I would probably upgrade. I will also add a SOT-976 to keep the wiring tidy.
Amp: Apline MRX-V60 - Size (fits under driver seat) Power is matched nicely to the rest of my shopping list. Line level and speaker level inputs. Better s/n and cheaper than pdx-5.
Fronts: Focal 165VB - At the top of what I want to spend but sound amazing to me. Also measure out as a drop in fit with spacers.
Rears: Focal 165CVX or 165CA1 - Nicely voiced to work with the VB's and the price is a nice bonus. I am still debating coax or components for the rear.
Sub Box: Uber Stealth Underfloor - Fit, finish and price.
Sub: Pioneer TS-SW2501S2 - Size, RMS requirements and per Nik the most popular sub for his box.

I will probably add some Dynamat like product to bare metal of the rear floor and possibly the fenders but not much farther without a compelling reason. Thanks for the input and I intend to write up a DIY thread when I start the work.

--Tom

p.s. I'm aware of the current thinking of imaging a 'stage' at the front of the vehicle and that is not my goal here. I like my music to surround me, filling the space with sound.

Ironhorse

Ready to race!
Sounds good. Not sure why you would keep the head unit, especially that one? If budget is an issue I would leave the rear speakers stock for now and replace the head unit. You can always replace the rears at a later time. Love the focals.

Showtunes? :)

j/k

good luck and keep us updated on what you do, w/pics of course.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Eventually I'm looking to drop in the rear hatch uber stealth box from nik as well. Interested to see your impressions with the Pioneer. Good luck with it!

TomMcD

Ready to race!
Sounds good. Not sure why you would keep the head unit, especially that one? If budget is an issue I would leave the rear speakers stock for now and replace the head unit. You can always replace the rears at a later time. Love the focals.

Showtunes? :)

j/k

good luck and keep us updated on what you do, w/pics of course.

I'm planning on staying with a stock HU for the integration aspect. (Bluetooth, Clock, MFD, iPhone) But it doesn't have to be the 310. I would swap to another of the stock HU's if I found a good deal on one, especially with NAV and SD card slot.

:lol: Yeah, I know. :iono: Even have the soundtrack to a Bollywood movie in rotation right now. Yes, I sing along. :bellyroll: No, I don't speak Hindi.

RioGrandeValley

Ready to race!
Good Luck with this build. Nice hardware without breaking the bank. I agree with other's posting leave rears alone for now to save even a few more $$$. However I disagree with SQ goal and keeping a factory head unit. These lack any real audio control features and are very lacking to say the least.
Yes the Integration part as you mentioned is nice but the SQ will suffer. Kind of bitter sweet so to speak.

Hey Black Friday right around the corner and Xmas sales coming up too. If you can leave rears alone for now and wait on sub as well maybe you can purchase a "Better" head unit. Just like home theater the subs and rear channels can always wait til budget allows. Hit the main Must Do equipment pieces first. Your car, Your money just my two cents and nothing else.

Tomato

TomMcD

Ready to race!
The not wanting to swap out the HU isn't really a budget thing. It's more that I don't want to give up the functions of how it all ties in with the car, even though I don't have the steering wheel controls I like how it works. Add to that, I like the idea of keeping the interior looking stock. Plus, if I do get fed up with how it sounds I can always go back in and add a sound processor, then switch my input from Speaker Level to Line level.

Ordered the Uber Stealth box tonight. Expected lead time 30 days or so. Should be a good sounding Christmas. :)