GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Installing door warning lamps/puddle lamps

91Z28

Ready to race!
I just did this and after pulling the door panels off id recommend just pulling the lower portion of the door panel, you can then get under the door and pull out the plug, wire up your new harness and feed it through to the opening. There's really no reason to take the whole door panel off. Also if you do decide to pull the whole panel off get some replacement fasteners, they break if you look at them the wrong way...

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
I just did this and after pulling the door panels off id recommend just pulling the lower portion of the door panel, you can then get under the door and pull out the plug, wire up your new harness and feed it through to the opening. There's really no reason to take the whole door panel off. Also if you do decide to pull the whole panel off get some replacement fasteners, they break if you look at them the wrong way...

Good to know! Just ordered these and will install them when they arrive. :D

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
Also, how long has shipping been taking from Bold-Sports? I got a tracking number right away but Hong Kong Post's tracking kinda sucks and still has no info for my package. (I have a feeling there won't be any tracking until USPS gets it or even until it arrives in my mailbox.)

rc0224

Ready to race!
u can start tracking it once usps gets it...usually 1-2 weeks depends on how long the customs holds them

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
So I attempted to install the door warning lights last night and today. I managed to get the ones for the front doors working, but I couldn't get the wires inserted into the back connectors even though the plug was unlocked (or so I thought). I did find out that pretty much all of the door clips in both back doors are broken. Stupid body shop that fixed my car after the accident. :(

What's the part number for these so I can go to the dealer/order online? Next time I remove the door panels I can go ahead and fix this and finish installing the lights. :thumbdown:

Dark Anghell1

Ready to race!
Dont get me wrong, they are nice...maybe if i get a sound system fitted i will get these done at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone with typos

Took me 10 minutes per door start to finish...don't think that's anylonger than installing a euroswitch or even LED dome lights. :iono:

Question: I inserted the wires into Pins 18 and 19 on both driver and passenger sides. Added 64 to long coding for both doors. My driver's side door light works, passenge doesn't. I tried turning LED bulb 180 degrees and that didn't do anything. Anyone experience same thing? Could it be that wires have to be connected to different pins?

Thanks!

echlon

Ready to race!
I have the week off so I decided to install this today and I couldn't get the freaking door panel off, I guess I won't be able to do this mod after all .... :(

eman006

So I attempted to install the door warning lights last night and today. I managed to get the ones for the front doors working, but I couldn't get the wires inserted into the back connectors even though the plug was unlocked (or so I thought). I did find out that pretty much all of the door clips in both back doors are broken. Stupid body shop that fixed my car after the accident. :(

What's the part number for these so I can go to the dealer/order online? Next time I remove the door panels I can go ahead and fix this and finish installing the lights. :thumbdown:

Got these installed from Bold-Sport.com with the LEDs. Love them.
Wires for the back doors were a PITA to insert since they did not seem to go in all the way just by hand (even with the pink / purple slider unlocked). I took the tip of a plastic zip tie and pushed the connectors down into the connector all the way.
Also, the door clips can be fixed if they come out in the pushed-in position. I took my panel prying tool with the notched tip and fit in the clip right below the disc that has been pushed in. I then took a flat head screwdriver and levered against the prying tool to pop the disc back up. Re-insert the clip back into where it belongs and voila! You're door will "Click" back into place snug as a bug.....or GTI.
Hope this helps.

eman006

rc0224

Ready to race!
Got these installed from Bold-Sport.com with the LEDs. Love them.
Wires for the back doors were a PITA to insert since they did not seem to go in all the way just by hand (even with the pink / purple slider unlocked). I took the tip of a plastic zip tie and pushed the connectors down into the connector all the way.
Also, the door clips can be fixed if they come out in the pushed-in position. I took my panel prying tool with the notched tip and fit in the clip right below the disc that has been pushed in. I then took a flat head screwdriver and levered against the prying tool to pop the disc back up. Re-insert the clip back into where it belongs and voila! You're door will "Click" back into place snug as a bug.....or GTI.
Hope this helps.

eman006

As confuse as it sounds ima give it a shot again when im back in vancouver, hopefully the weather is good and warm enough

tmiw

Go Kart Champion

Hmm. Do you push the zip tie from the top of the connector? I'm not sure I'm visualizing this correctly.

eman006

Hmm. Do you push the zip tie from the top of the connector? I'm not sure I'm visualizing this correctly.

Before I address: Make sure you unlock that little pink/purple slider in the white connector - per the DIY found in this thread.
Push the base of the connectors with tip of plastic zip tie at the point where you inserted the wires to push the wire connectors all the way into the white connector. The repair wire is not rigid enough to give you enough finger-force to push the connectors all the way in. It seems that the wires only go in half-way and do not make contact to where the lights will work. You will see this if you look at the white connector where it plugs into the car (opposite side from where you inserted the wires). You will be able to see all the other wires' connectors close to the surface, but the wires that you insert do not come close to the surface.

Using the zip tie will enable you to push the wires to where you can see their connectors near the surface like the other wires' connectors. Also, make sure that you have the correct repair wire with the rear doors - mine already came pre-wired from Bold-Sport.com but to show you, here is the link to ECS Tuning so you can see what the wire connector that you're plugging in should look like: http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/000_979_131_E/ES1009070/

The front doors should be using the wire with this connector (which is the same connector on the wire for a EuroSwitch for your headlights):
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/000_979_009_E/ES265357/

Other than that, the DIY should address all your other questions.

BTW, if you forget to re-lock the pink/purple slider in the white connector, don't worry, the slider is designed to re-lock once you reconnect the white connector to the door. I know this because I forgot to re-lock after testing and putting everything back together and had to tear off the door panel again to re-lock only to find that the re-locking is automatically done.

Sorry that I do not have pics available since I was in a rush to get these done and did not have time to take the necessary pics, but hopefully, my description above is enough.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any issues. :thumbsup:

eman006

eman006

....... I did find out that pretty much all of the door clips in both back doors are broken. Stupid body shop that fixed my car after the accident. :(

Bold-Sport.com has the door clips for about $0.89 per clip if you buy a bag of 6 ($5.34). With shipping, they may be a little expensive. Since I ordered with the door warning lights, I just got them from Bold-Sport. You may want to just check with your local VW dealer to see if they sell. Not sure if the part number at the VW is the same as the one at B-S.com. Good to have back-up spares since I did break 2 clips during both front and back installs. Here is the link.

http://www.bold-sport.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=7L6+868+243&category_id=0&model=1&product_id=49

Hope this helps.

eman006

Last edited:

eman006

Some pics of the finished product in the dark. Taken with my cell phone, but you get the a good idea of what it will look like.

Front and Rear:

Front Driver:

Front Passenger:

Last edited:

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
Push the base of the connectors with tip of plastic zip tie at the point where you inserted the wires to push the wire connectors all the way into the white connector. The repair wire is not rigid enough to give you enough finger-force to push the connectors all the way in. It seems that the wires only go in half-way and do not make contact to where the lights will work. You will see this if you look at the white connector where it plugs into the car (opposite side from where you inserted the wires). You will be able to see all the other wires' connectors close to the surface, but the wires that you insert do not come close to the surface.

Using the zip tie will enable you to push the wires to where you can see their connectors near the surface like the other wires' connectors.

I made another attempt while investigating a new squeak that developed and I was able to get both of the rear ones in with your advice. Thanks! :thumbup: I was almost going to remove the ones in the front to get everything looking the same again, but I don't have to now.

Next step is probably going to be to find a decent LED that fits in the warning light enclosure so that I can get the light a bit brigher. :)