GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

lack of footwell lights

Eneubauer

Go Kart Champion
So I wanted to install red footwell lights but of course our cars dont have footwell lights so i picked up two red neon tubes and mounted them under the front seats to hopefully give off a nice ambient glow installed them today waiting for it to get dark out to see the full effect. Rather than hardwiring it i also picked up a 12v outlet hub that gives me 3 outlets and ran the wires from the trunk up to the seats through the moulding.

Will post a pic later to show how it turned out

DJEuphoria

Go Kart Champion
i remember putting those blue pep boys lights under my eclipse's dashboard. i hard wired it though. (actually, i just wrapped the positive wire around my cigarette lighter's fuse and grounded the negative)

it makes it more convenient so when you shut off the car the lights turn off automatically.

Eneubauer

Go Kart Champion
the way i have it it turns off automatically the cigarette lighter doesn't work if the car is off

Eneubauer

Go Kart Champion
looks really good not to bright not to dim just what i was looking for will post pictures in an hour camera died as soon as i got outside

Eneubauer

Go Kart Champion
Ok so my camera didnt really have a great setting so the lighting in real life is actually alittle bit brighter than the pics but like i said before not to bright. for the ease of setting this all up I am extremely happy with the outcome.

ChiGuyGolf2.5

Ready to race!
how much were the lights? Where did you get them? How hard was the install? I am very interested in doing this.

:thumbsup: To a job well done!

Eneubauer

Go Kart Champion
Picked the lights up from pep boys for about 25 I believe. They are 10" red neon tubes with 12v plug for easy installation. It literally took about 10 minutes most of that was taking the lights out of the plastic packaging lol. Like I said up top I bought a 3 way splitter with 3 ft. Extension And plugged it in to the trunk outlet than from there I plugged in the neons an ran them from the trunk down through the side moldings,under the front seat and than installed them to the flat bottom brace with the double sided tape. I will post pictures today possibly to show exactly all the steps if you would like. Literally though easiest mod I have ever done on any car

jmlivid

Go Kart Champion
Nice job. Looks stealth man.

Eneubauer

Go Kart Champion
The lights were 25 each sorry didn't mention that before and the splitter was like 15 so the whole project was about 70 bucks could prob do it for cheaper somehow but I'd rather spend the little bit extra to make it easy install and easy uninstall if I ever wanted to

Eneubauer

Go Kart Champion
well finally got around to taking the pictures of how i set it up so here they are

this is the splitter i got

plugged in to the rear 12v outlet

plugged the two neon tubes in two outlets and ran them on the side of the car

tucked the wire down passed the cushion left alittle visible just to show what i was talking about

tucked the wire into the moulding and brought it back out right behind the seats. this is the only wire visible but im sure theres a way to hide it.

slid the tube under the seat make sure your seat is up as high as it can go to make this easier and than drop back to desired height after

and there you have it. really easy install as an alternative to no footwell lights

you can also tuck your splitter under the floor in the trunk

But personally i leave it like this

just in case i want to turn them off there is a button on each of the lights 12v plug

DJEuphoria

Go Kart Champion
surprisingly clean install.

and i'm honestly surprised no one has said a single negative comment about putting pep boys neons inside your car haha

but looks clean, good work.

ever put them in music mode? i used to leave my neons in my old eclipse to strobe with the beat of the stereo. but i had a really loud stereo so it was pretty hard to adjust them accordingly.

i was a pretty big ricer back in the day though. i had the gaudiest eclipse ever. but it wasn't TOO half assed. but i did have a neon light obsession. under glow and all :laugh:

did teach me a lot about car electronics though. wired all my lights/stereo equipment myself so i guess that was good.

Eneubauer

Go Kart Champion
haha yea i was kinda suprised i havent gotten any bad comments either lol. at first i really hated the idea of the neons i didnt want it to be ricer but luckily how they are set up it gives it a nice ambient glow and thats all i wanted haha. I havent tried the music pulsing option i felt that might be a bit over the top and might push it from being kinda classy to ricer haha

ChiGuyGolf2.5

Ready to race!
The way I see it, not having floor lights is kinda of a safety hazard when getting in or out.

I drive my grandpa around at times and at night he has a hard time seeing anything, so floor lights are sort of a must for me. I will probably be doing this install after Christmas! Thank you for the write up!