GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 06-23-2012, 11:34 PM   #183
XGC75
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: into shit
I'll chime in on this one. In my experience this lag is a combination of the torque limiter and the ECU trying to rev the engine safely. I drove an '09 jetta 2.5 (mt) for a while that had the same symptom in 1st and even second. It definitely felt like a torque limiter back then.

I see parallels with motor controls (read: electric motor drives), where you can't just inject a whole bunch of current immediately - you have to catch the rotor in the right angle before you strengthen the field and accelerate it. Otherwise you could cause acoustic noise, torque ripple or snap the shaft. In the engine, I can imagine the ECU would wait until it hits the right cam angle before it lets the engine produce torque. I feel the lag only when I'm coming off idle, and it's uneven at best, which to me is pointing toward the rotational position of the engine.

EDIT: I also notice the issue is much less prevalent when ESC is switched off.
XGC75 is offline   Reply With Quote