GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 12-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #15
Woofie2
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI Autobaun
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuchWash View Post
Interesting. Mine's a manual but I guess I've noticed this hesitation too. Will report it to the dealer at 90 day service. I get around the lag by giving it some throttle and feathering in the clutch and get off the line OK, but on full tromp there IS a little lag.
I had noticed this too with my TDI, but I figured it was just me used to driving my Chipped TDI not my new 2.0TDI.
Woofie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:46 PM   #16
dnburgess

Drives: Golf 118TSI Comfortline
Sorry I'm late to this thread. I bought a 118TSI Auto a little while ago. I can't believe how bad the lag is. Impossible to drive through a curve properly - I have to try to hit the pedal a couple of seconds prior to when I think I am likely to need power. Also potentially dangerous when pulling into or turning across traffic - never knowing quite when the acceleration will start.

Its hard to imagine this could be a "Car of the Year" - so I'm assuming there is something wrong with my vehicle.

Can this be fixed?
dnburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:59 AM   #17
spas528
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: soon owner of a gti
interesting, dad's tiguan also has that same initial lag issue. turn it on, put it in D or S, press the gas a little... nothing happens.. press a little further and it jumps.
spas528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:02 AM   #18
KanDyWyte
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: White 5-Door GTI MKVI
I think its just the technology considering it's all electronically controlled. My MKVI is manual and can't complain of any lag other than what is expected from a turbo. I drove my sis' 2010 Mercedes SL550 ($110K car) it does the same thing. I reversed it, then put it in drive quickly (as I would with my manual) and gave it gas. I sat there for what seemed like minutes but was really seconds till the car actually thrusted forward... with a lil' burnout
KanDyWyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:09 PM   #19
mdashali
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2010 CSG 4D DSG
I noticed it too during my test drive. Hope it won't be a big annoyance during regular commute.
mdashali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:13 PM   #20
Purie
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2010 Evo X GSR
They make a aftermarket fix for this, I think I saw a ad in eurotuner. Not sure how it works though but it would drive me nuts in my A3 and I noticed it on the test drive of the mkvi.
Purie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:50 PM   #21
mdashali
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2010 CSG 4D DSG
I doubt this is needed on a new vehicle but would a Throttle Body Adaption would fix this?
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/throttlebody.html
mdashali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:20 PM   #22
jimo
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: GTI MKVI
I have noticed this also. Seems really bad when the car is cold (and I'm pretty good about letting the car warm up before I drive). I have driven other cars with turbo lag but this seems like something more. Would be nice to be able to get this resolved without having to get an aftermarket tune.
jimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:13 PM   #23
MkVi_Ian
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Deep Blk. Metallic MkVI GTI 2dr 6sp
this happens to me too, mainly in first gear. i think it electronically controlled to make inital acceleration smoother instead of jerky from the turbo
MkVi_Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:27 AM   #24
Aitch
Ready to race!

Drives: 2007 Mazda 3 GS
It sounds like this indeed a common issue on these cars, but lets just be clear that it is completely unrelated to "turbo lag".

Turbo lag is encountered when you press on the accelerator, and the RPMs increase but the engine has relatively little power until the turbo spools up, and can provide sufficient boost to give the engine's full power rating (for whatever RPM you are at). Most modern cars have very minimal turbo lag due to the small turbos used.

This is more "engine/tranny lag" where the electronic throttle is slow to respond to the pedal input. This is clearly the case here, since the lag is in the RPMs changing when the pedal is pressed, rather than the engine/car accelerating but with a lack of power.

I found the same thing (although not too severe) when I moved from a Mazda Protege to my Mazda3 (throttle cable -> drive-by-wire) and had to use more effort to blip the throttle during downshifts. It sounds like something that could be addressed either through VW (if they chose to do so) or an aftermarket company through a reflash.
Aitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:33 PM   #25
jgs5607
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2 Dr 2010 GTI Manual - United Gray
I do not notice much of a lag on my manual, I can still balance the car in a turn with the throttle without any problem so if it is there, it is fairly minor.

That said, I also just moved from an automatic that had so much torque converter slop that you really had to anticipate when you would need throttle and apply it a second earlier to have it hit when you needed it (AGGRAVATING!) so the contrast may make what lag there is seem minor. The other aggravating thing I have noticed on some modern car is a lag on closing the throttle for emissions (my Contour had that issue, but there was a "fix" for that that I picked up from one of the Contour forums.)

If they come up with a TSB for this, I would have it applied because more precision in the throttle would be icing on the cake for me.
jgs5607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:31 PM   #26
jmatero
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2010 MkVI GTI DSG
There is definitely a difference in throttle response with the DSG in D vs S.
jmatero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:21 PM   #27
Stein357
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: VAG 2.0T
In my opinion nothing is wrong, the throttle is just insensitive to make the car smoother.
Stein357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:37 PM   #28
Mk6golfer
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 1996 Acura Integra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein357 View Post
In my opinion nothing is wrong, the throttle is just insensitive to make the car smoother.
agreed.

"you could get the fuck out of some groceries in that thing"
Mk6golfer is offline   Reply With Quote