GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 01-23-2010, 04:56 PM   #29
steelfish
Ready to race!

Drives: 2010 Golf
I had an Audi 2001 auto, there was a bad turbo lag. I hated the SOB so bad.
Than I bought 2007 Jetta 2.0T manual, no lag at all. Fun to drive, nice to jump into traffic, never an issue for 3 years. Now I got 2010 Golf 2.5L auto, not missing turbo at all, and no need for manual transmission. Seems like some kind of safety maybe.Cheers
steelfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:08 PM   #30
jmblur
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: MkVI GTI 2dr DSG CSG
I really don't notice any "lag" at all - maybe when stomping on it not in launch mode, as I haven't done that yet (roads are salty/sandy around here still so I can spin wheels with half throttle). It's definitely a less sensitive throttle map in the top 1/4 for easier around-town driving, but I don't notice any sort of lag.
jmblur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #31
Hodag
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2010 GTI
Identical to Path, I'm now driving my MK6 immediately after my MK5 - literally parking my MK5 on the lot when I picked up my MK6, and I too notice the pedal lag. I notice it the worst coming off a stop sign. I'm positive my MK5 wasn't this bad. It's just irritating when the car doesn't respond to the input.
So, question is, can anything be done to correct this?
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:53 AM   #32
Professor
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: MKVI Golf 2Dr Manual
I'd always thought "dead spots" were a VW 1st gear tradition...

Everyone I've known with VW's, automatic or manual, have always remarked on the dead spot in first gear. Mine have always been the same way. I think some of it has to do with the long clutch travel, but more of it to do with just how VW's are in general. Seems like the punchiness has always been more prevalent in 2nd gear, though I'm basing this on pure feel and probably talking out of my head .

Professor.
1995 Jetta III, Green
1988 Fox, Blue

(My other car is a 2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab with K&N and Magnaflow Exhaust)
Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #33
timb
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: CW 3d DSG
I have the DSG and have also noticed this, I notice it most when I back off my drive in the morning, when I try to pull away there is a noticable delay before the car starts moving. This can be worrying some mornings as I back onto a busy street and you sit there for a second waiting for the car to respond. Glad it's not just my car and I agree with some of the previous comments this is not turbo lag. It's a slow response.
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:03 PM   #34
Burn
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 13 GTI, 98 A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein357 View Post
In my opinion nothing is wrong, the throttle is just insensitive to make the car smoother.
In my opinion you either don't experience this nor understand what's happening.

Brought it up with dealer, they felt it also. Completely intermittent. Often, throttle response is immediate - car goes as soon as you step on the accelerator. Every once in a while, no response... for almost a full second, then it's as though the clutch pops and the car kicks like a rocket.

DSG car.
Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:47 AM   #35
niloch

Drives: VW'10 GTI / VW'10 SportsWagen SE
I've had my MKVI (DSG) for just over a month now and have recently started noticing this issue as well. What I found interesting today is that even just letting up on the break and not touching the gas, the car takes about a second or two to respond before moving forward or reverse. This has almost caused a few mishaps while trying to park as the car all of a sudden lurches forward or back.

Sitting in Rush hour a week or two ago at a crawl also was quite annoying. Never touched the gas but the engine would rev up and down as I crawled along.

Anyone else experience this? Or is it just the delay from pressing the gas that others are noticing?

Other then that I love the MKVI.
niloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:05 AM   #36
jmblur
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: MkVI GTI 2dr DSG CSG
niloch, I take it you were driving a normal auto before? The DSG is NOT a normal automatic transmission - it just emulates one while in D or S modes.

What's happening when you just let off the brake but don't give it gas is that the car slowly disengages the clutch - so it won't move for a second, then it will disengage, grab, and then it will rev it a bit to keep from stalling. Continuous slow off-gas creeping is bad for the clutches in the DSG - try to drive it more like a manual, where you're not just creeping up a couple feet - let a bit more space open up so you can actually get on the gas a bit and get it in gear.
jmblur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:11 AM   #37
artinmoTTion
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: BSH race, APR stg2, 42DD DP, AWE CB
listening to those who've already been chipped, it appears that the performance software does improve the situation, to answer someone's question from earlier. looking forward to answering with first hand knowledge...
artinmoTTion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:11 PM   #38
kmshultz
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2010 Candy White GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatero View Post
There is definitely a difference in throttle response with the DSG in D vs S.
Agree, I just discovered this as well. If you throw it into S mode in city traffic, the throttle responds instantly when you need to pass the grandma in front of you.

The tradeoff is poorer fuel efficiency and harsh-feeling downshifts.
kmshultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:18 PM   #39
niloch

Drives: VW'10 GTI / VW'10 SportsWagen SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmblur View Post
niloch, I take it you were driving a normal auto before?
Hi jmblur, yah I was triving an BMW X3 automatic previously (always in tiptronic) but many manuals before that including a previous VW ('00 Jetta). I do feel it acts more like a stick with the clutch engagement. Good to know that I should not let it creep the same way as an autmatic, I'll start treating it more like a stick and give it a little gas as I engage it.

Thanks
niloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:27 PM   #40
quarantine
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: golf
how about clutch slip.....does that help with the dead spot?
quarantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:08 PM   #41
RiledMKVI
Ready to race!

Drives: DB GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by path View Post
i am coming from a MK5 GTI, and have literally driven the 5 and 6 back-to-back. i can say with a great deal of confidence that there is a fair amount of slop in the throttle pedal. it takes more travel to get the rev response you want in the 6 than it did in the 5, and the spring in the pedal is much lighter. there was almost NO turbo lag at all in the 5. i can't imagine that turbo lag resurfaced in the 6, i think there have been some changes in the ride by wire software that connects the reostat on the pedal to the fuel injectors.

i wonder if revised ECU software from APR or the like will cure this?
i'm in the same boat as you. there is a definite lag with this car that didn't exist on the mkv.
RiledMKVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:28 AM   #42
koolgreen
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 CSG 6mt detroits
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI110 View Post
I think you are experiencing "turbo lag". And it is always a few seconds before it kicks in. Nothing too serious. As for the pumping and nothing happening, it may be a characteristic of electronic throttle control.
that is not turbo lag.
turbo lag can only be felt under load.
koolgreen is offline   Reply With Quote