GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 02-23-2010, 07:29 AM   #43
J-Spec159

Drives: 2010 Golf 2.0TDi auto (Australia)
Q.

Hey im in Australia. ill be shortly receiving a new Golf TDi 2.0 litre.This lag problem is very prominent and most definitely in the electronics. is there a 'chip' fix for this available???

Its just the lag in initial acceleration really, in my opinion, makes it a little dangerous at busy intersections...
J-Spec159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #44
siagolf
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 Blk MK6 GTI
i think this is related to the "low speed torque limiter" that is programmed in our stock ECU's...from Austin@GIAC:

"The limiters are in the OE software as a hardware protection and have been present in all chain drive 2.0T models. This is one of the items we modify in order to increase smoothness. You will not get any of that jerkiness with our software, all of the "delays" are gone."

I've contacted APR to see if their flashes also remove/remap the low speed torque limiter but haven't heard back...anyone with first hand experience if APR's flashes actually remove/remap this?

**EDIT**: another possible solution is to go the Sprintbooster route...modifies the signal from the gas pedal to eliminate that drive-by-wire delay/lag, and make it more immediate/responsive especially at partial throttle regardless of whether you're chipped or not. I've contacted Sprintbooster to see if they're coming out with a MK6 GTI application as they don't have one listed on their website yet. Oh, here's a Vortex forum that discusses this: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4644334

Last edited by siagolf; 02-23-2010 at 07:12 PM.
siagolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:22 PM   #45
Ryephile
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: '11 TDI: RS/4dr/6mt
Send a message via AIM to Ryephile
I can vouch for the throttle pedal delay too on my GTI 6mt. It seems that if you gently roll onto the throttle while engaging the clutch, the engine will get off idle, then "go into smooth mode" where it will make very little power and not pay attention to any more pedal inputs for a split second, then after that work as normal. This delay is very noticeable only if you very lightly use the throttle from a stop, not while moving. If you rev the engine just a tiny bit while leaving a stop, the delay isn't there and all feels normal. It seems like VW programmed in the slow-launch delay to improve smoothness, but the fact that it ignores your foot after you gently leave from stop is hugely annoying. I wasn't planning on going with an ECU flash, but this throttle dead-space/delay is absurd at best. I've started learning how to drive around it, but I'd rather it did what I want, not what it thinks I want.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:58 AM   #46
J-Spec159

Drives: 2010 Golf 2.0TDi auto (Australia)
yeah ive read about those. Seems like a good way to go, im not after more power or anything just to fix that throttle delay. Also, being a company vehicle it looks easy to remove at service time... he he he
J-Spec159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:09 PM   #47
phase2
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2010 GTI 4DR Man
I thought I was going crazy this morning. It was my first time driving my GTI to work.

I have the manual transmission and the car was just not taking off in 1st gear, a lot of hesitation.

Problem is I was taught to engage the clutch then apply gas. This triggers this first gear slop every time.

I'm having to rev the engine before I engage the clutch to get a decent 1st gear take off. I hate to do that because it wears on the clutch.
phase2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:27 PM   #48
darknightohio
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2010 VW GTI United Gray
I have the same problem, I wish I could just turn off all the electronic crap. Thtas what I loved about my 04 WRX, no tractoin control, no e-diff, no 1st gear nanny...just straight forward driving. I hope they have a flash to elimnate this problem soon...very annoying...
darknightohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:44 AM   #49
MichaelLegaspi
Oval Champion

Drives: United Gray GTI
I think I read on the vortex that the new GIAC chip for MK6 GTI's will eliminate this problem, I am highly considering it too because of that if it actually does..
MichaelLegaspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:58 PM   #50
carbonmk6
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by phase2 View Post

I have the manual transmission and the car was just not taking off in 1st gear, a lot of hesitation.

Problem is I was taught to engage the clutch then apply gas. This triggers this first gear slop every time.

I'm having to rev the engine before I engage the clutch to get a decent 1st gear take off. I hate to do that because it wears on the clutch.
+1
When I first got the car I hated the 1st gear because the clutch is so forgiving the fiction point range is pretty big. I was used to a single point fiction point and not a range. I've gotten used to the clutch now after a month of driving in traffic everyday.
carbonmk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:32 AM   #51
artinmoTTion
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: BSH race, APR stg2, 42DD DP, AWE CB
APR helps a lot with this.

Very happy to report that this problem is greatly minimized with the new APR software. Can't say for sure that it's completely eliminated, as the system still probably has some inherent lag, but the problem seems like mostly a memory at this point, and what happens after the pedal is pressed with the APR software is in general so much more impressive than stock, that I must urge you to back away from the computer and proceed directly to your local APR rep. Strong, smooth, broad power band, like it should have been from the VAGtory. Seriously, go get it!
artinmoTTion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #52
Woofie2
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI Autobaun
Has anyone used one of these:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Flyer-Sprint_Booster/

They claim to help reduce throttle dead space and increase throttle response?
Woofie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:18 PM   #53
jmatero
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2010 MkVI GTI DSG
I have the DSG but I can tell you that if I want to pull out quickly into another lane from a stop/crawl, the car barely moves... and then THRUSTS. Not very linear... and I've owned turbos and TBW before.
jmatero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:53 AM   #54
chapusin
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: and drinks
I am so glad I found this thread but most of all, that the chip can fix it, tough the fix should exist from VW and not from a third party. I agree that this is not only annoying but dangerous. This is my 2nd day with my new gti and I almost crashed today because the car just stood there doing nothing. Which brings another dangerous issue, when its not moving and youre trying to go, there you are, flooring the accelerator at wot and when the car decides to go forward it surges forward like crazy and you can even loose control because it wasnt expected. These cars are famous for their linear response but this is a dead spot that is really unacceptable. And yes I have driven dbw before, and honestly i dont think its a dbw issue because my 8th gen civic had DBW and while it was bad in the sense that if you floor it in neutral and let it go quickly, you'll see that the system is so slow that it wont start revving until your foot is out. I found the response times for this test to be exactly the same on both cars, the civic and the gti, they take the same ammount of time to start revving, however, when on first gear and trying to advance, the civic starts moving and doesn't hessitate, it has little torque yes but it doesnt stop moving, the gti does.

Please if someone has chipped their cars, confirm that this is indeed fixed with aftermarket solutions. Oh and both of the cars im talking about are MT. Otherwise, we might need to push for a TBS.
chapusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:30 AM   #55
RIP335
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2010 CW 2dr GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofie2 View Post
Has anyone used one of these:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Flyer-Sprint_Booster/

They claim to help reduce throttle dead space and increase throttle response?

Please... god one thing I can't stand about VAG is that, one needs to fork alot of cash to get a decent performing vehicle.

e|studioG Design

http://estudiogdesign.com/
RIP335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:59 AM   #56
NEOHMark
Rally Car Champion

Drives: '10 Black MkVI
The intermittent cases aside, this almost sounds like the amount of throttle response 'dialed in' to the car. GM used to be famous for dialing in just the opposite response - the first 1/4 to 1/3 of the pedal travel used to cause the car to JUMP off the line.....and then there was very little left in the last 2/3s of the pedal travel. It gave the customer(s) the impression the cars were quicker/more powerful than they really were - a cheap marketing trick engineered into the fuel delivery.

IMHO with today's fly-by-wire throttles, it'd be a whole lot easier to dial in whatever throttle response the engineers (or marketers) choose to, so it's more than likely purposeful. What that purpose is, however, is anybody's guess. Especially if it's peeving off the faithful.
NEOHMark is offline   Reply With Quote