GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 04-07-2010, 11:03 AM   #57
Basil_Fawlty
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: MkVI GTI 2dr DSG CSG Autobahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlulu View Post
I have a new MKVI GTI ,one month old , and it is my first car with an electronic throttle and turbo. Most of my driving so far has been in the city with many stop signs. I do not get a direct response between my foot pressing and the rpms when starting out at a stop sign. Many times it's count one, two,then it responds.
Even sitting at idle in the driveway if I start "pumping" the pedal and inch or so rapidly the rpms do not change, only the pedal moves.
Is this characteristic of electronic throttles and or turbos? The old direct reponse of a mechanical link throttle may have trained me wrong and I now have to relearn how to drive or should I head to the service department?
I think that it's a combination of turbo lag, throtle lag and DSG lag. I have the MkVI DSG, w/ APR Stage I, and at times, I notice that it's most often a throttle lag But, I'm learning to feather it right.

My '98 MBZ E300 Turbodiesel was the same way, as it had a 5 speed auto, turbo, and electronic throttle as well, and it had the same issues, and I had to learn to feather just right it as well.

But, I also notice that from a stop light of sign, I go to gas it, and the transmission will engage kinda hard (it wasnt in gear, or became indecisive), so that caused a delay. At other times, but not often, I can tell there is turbo lag and some time needed for spool up. It did/does this before, and after the APR Stage I upgrade.
2010 GTI MKVI :: 3DR :: DSG :: CSG :: Bi-Xenon :: Dynaudio :: VW-NAV :: Sunroof :: Autobahn-Pkg :: 18" - Detroits :: LoJack :: Tinted-Windows :: APR Stage I Flash :: APR Stage I & II Carbonio Intake :: GTI Logo Floor Mats :: Rear Trunk Tray
Basil_Fawlty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:04 PM   #58
silverseal

Drives: 07Inf.G35 05Cross.Roadstr / Volusia
Hello - Brand new to the forum. And this is my first post. I am taking a GTI and a TDI out for a test drive tomorrow at a local dealership. In most of the Consumer Reports type magazines and auto review blogs I have been reading for research there is a "long clutch-pedal travel" listed as the lone negative (well, the use of premium gas is also listed as a negative but I am already accustomed to that drawback with my current vehicles). This thread seems to be discussing this very issue. So I would like to ask two questions:
1) Has anyone gotten an official response from the dealer about this?
2 During my test drive (automatic) what is a step by step method to test to see if it is an issue?

Thanks in advance for any and all of your responses.
silverseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:07 PM   #59
IanP

Drives: 2010 GTI (US), ALFA GT V6 (IRL)
This is like finding out you're not the only one with a drinking problem... AAA - Accelerator Annoyance Anonymous. I had my GTI checked out by main dealer this a.m. and compared with 2 others - seems like they all have it. It is dangerous and the times I've left it with Valets and they have stalled it (they drive lots of cars) shows how bad it is.

Aside from waiting minutes for the iPod menus to referesh its the only thing I dislike about the car but I REALLY dislike it - enough for me to bail out and look for something else.

Can anyone else corrobrate the after market solutions and/or clarify if VW are planning a fix?
IanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #60
chapusin
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: and drinks
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanP View Post
This is like finding out you're not the only one with a drinking problem... AAA - Accelerator Annoyance Anonymous. I had my GTI checked out by main dealer this a.m. and compared with 2 others - seems like they all have it. It is dangerous and the times I've left it with Valets and they have stalled it (they drive lots of cars) shows how bad it is.

Aside from waiting minutes for the iPod menus to referesh its the only thing I dislike about the car but I REALLY dislike it - enough for me to bail out and look for something else.

Can anyone else corrobrate the after market solutions and/or clarify if VW are planning a fix?
Same here bro, on the test drive i didnt give it too much importance because i thought i just wasnt giving it enough gas and every car is different but after a couple of days and getting used to the car already I can see it is a hugh annoyance. And yeah, the ipod problem is driving me nuts as well. Good thing i didnt pay extra for the head unit, I did pay extra for dynaudio and it is one of the best investments in my life.. but this is out of topic, VW remove your shitty electronic limiters, it's a GTI!!!!! nobody wants them.
chapusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:32 PM   #61
Kate
Ready to race!

Drives: VW Golf VI tsi 122 DSG 1.4
I thought it was just me too, very different to my previous golfs, time delay between putting foot on pedal and the car actually doing anything is fairly short - but long enough to be scary when getting onto a roundabout. Mine is DSG. It's currently broken down and the hire car (kia, automatic, v low spec,) is much easier to drive in stop/start/ rush hour situations!
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:28 PM   #62
ConnerryGTI
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 13 CW Golf R/10 TR GTI/06 RS GTI
According to this recent thread on vwvortex, that delay/hesitation/ throttle mapping dead zone issue apparently is a built-in saftey net by VW.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...after-shifting

It's a good bit of reading, so if you jump to page 4 of the thread and scroll down, you'll find a post from Arin@APR that partially explains what they found...and why it's only a partial explanation.
ConnerryGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:39 PM   #63
daihard
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 MKVI GTI 5DR
Send a message via AIM to daihard Send a message via Yahoo to daihard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnerryGTI View Post
According to this recent thread on vwvortex, that delay/hesitation/ throttle mapping dead zone issue apparently is a built-in saftey net by VW.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...after-shifting

It's a good bit of reading, so if you jump to page 4 of the thread and scroll down, you'll find a post from Arin@APR that partially explains what they found...and why it's only a partial explanation.
Thanks! I felt a bit of lag myself, but never thought much of it. I figured it was something inherent to DSG.

Now, does that mean I will be able to get rid of the lag if I install APR Stage 1?

----------
"Let no man pull you low enough to hate him" - Martin Luther King, Jr.
daihard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:55 PM   #64
ConnerryGTI
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 13 CW Golf R/10 TR GTI/06 RS GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by daihard View Post
Thanks! I felt a bit of lag myself, but never thought much of it. I figured it was something inherent to DSG.

Now, does that mean I will be able to get rid of the lag if I install APR Stage 1?
It seems possible...I suppose we'll see after APR drops that update on the market, if they find that it won't be detrimental to the vehicle.
ConnerryGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:57 PM   #65
DD89
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 Mk VI GTI, SB
Send a message via AIM to DD89
Quote:
Originally Posted by path View Post
i'm manual...

but it would not surprise me if it was all MK6's...doubtful they have different rheostat/sending units by transmission type

definitely not turbo lag...totally different

its more like extra play for the first fifth of pedal travel, before it tightens up and behaves the way you expect it to.
Exactly. That's what it is, I notice this in my manual as well. It's not much of a factor for me imo.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:56 PM   #66
Ben_GTI
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by daihard View Post

I have apr stage 1 myself. Sadly it does nothing for the throttle lag. I am installing a throttle controller tomorrow that should take care of that
Ben_GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:34 AM   #67
McSwine
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 1967 VW Beetle/2012 CW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_GTI View Post
I I am installing a throttle controller tomorrow that should take care of that
Details, plz.
McSwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #68
Ben_GTI
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSwine View Post
Details, plz.
Please see this thread: http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5413

My other car 987S also had this throttle lag. At the time I bought the Sprint Booster and it made the car so much more enjoyable to drive. It essentially takes away the pillow between your foot and the pedal. For the GTI, I went with the cheaper throttle controller talked about in that thread. Wiring is a bit misleading, but it should work the same as Sprint Booster. I bought it from zenracing on eBay for $130 (vs $300+ for SB)

Last edited by Ben_GTI; 06-05-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Ben_GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:58 AM   #69
Bruno2000
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI 2dr red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_GTI View Post
Please see this thread: http://http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5413

My other car 987S also had this throttle lag. At the time I bought the Sprint Booster and it made the car so much more enjoyable to drive. It essentially takes away the pillow between your foot and the pedal. For the GTI, I went with the cheaper throttle controller talked about in that thread. Wiring is a bit misleading, but it should work the same as Sprint Booster. I bought it from zenracing on eBay for $130 (vs $300+ for SB)
please make a full review in a new threat about your new gadget, im pretty sure a lot others and I will want it if it works good, thx
Bruno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:24 PM   #70
Burn
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 13 GTI, 98 A4
Your URL is a little bungled.

Sprint Booster?

I had problems with this when I first got the car, but I find I've actually learned to drive with it... I rarely get jerky starts and most launches are smooth. Still interested to see what these products can do though.
Burn is offline   Reply With Quote