GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Technical Understanding: Geometrical Analysis and Dimensional Tolerancing

grambles423

Automotive Engineer

My12GTI

Ready to race!
I hate to go off topic, but every post I see about VAGer I never pronounce it vagger, I pronounce it vajer (á la vagina, or the slang, vaj) and it makes me life.

Continue.

Wood

Ready to race!
Nice post. This is a part of my everyday life. Enjoyed the read.

JDM713

Go Kart Champion
interesting read. Having no background in engineering, it's always a trip for me to try to understand how people manage to create a car that is able to not only function but maintain extended reliability.

lon888

Ready to race!
Grambles - thanks for the informative post - it's refreshing to see something intelligent. I don't know about you but I'm a little weary of posts that go like this - "Doood, ny DP f'ed up my ZAZ and RFH now its LOL and shit." Eeesh.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I love stuff like this. Thanks for sharing your experience with us G...

No problem man. Anything I can bring to help stimulate open thinking.

I hate to go off topic, but every post I see about VAGer I never pronounce it vagger, I pronounce it vajer (á la vagina, or the slang, vaj) and it makes me life

Its tough sometimes, I know. My relatives call it "the vaj."

Nice post. This is a part of my everyday life. Enjoyed the read.

Care to elaborate? Just dimensional tolerancing in general?

interesting read. Having no background in engineering, it's always a trip for me to try to understand how people manage to create a car that is able to not only function but maintain extended reliability.

Trust me it extends WAY beyond this, but this is a good start. Having to make a "foolproof" system to where ANYONE can install it is tough, but using fixtures we can accommodate various percentiles of human build. Honda loves to focus on ergonomics more so than the steps to make it. Mercedes was more concerned with the car than the individual. Differences in culture I guess?

I face palm sometimes looking at designs from R&D and ever wonder if they have even seen an automotive plant.

Grambles - thanks for the informative post - it's refreshing to see something intelligent. I don't know about you but I'm a little weary of posts that go like this - "Doood, ny DP f'ed up my ZAZ and RFH now its LOL and shit." Eeesh.

I totally 100% 10/10 absolutely-positively-without a doubt-kick me in the face agree.

Mr. Skinny

Ready to race!
Great article. Even though I don't understand the auto industry jargon, I guessed where you were going with "tolerance stack". I'm a Mechanical Engr. by education, but I don't work strictly in the ME field.

Anyhow, very informative.

As and aside, do you know why it takes the opening logo/banner/picture to load at the vager.org site? It used to load OK, but now it just fails to load.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Great article. Even though I don't understand the auto industry jargon, I guessed where you were going with "tolerance stack". I'm a Mechanical Engr. by education, but I don't work strictly in the ME field.

Anyhow, very informative.

As and aside, do you know why it takes the opening logo/banner/picture to load at the vager.org site? It used to load OK, but now it just fails to load.

I'm not sure. Bender is in charge of site functions and I cant find the origination of the picture. I'll check into it.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Morning Bump for intellectual pleasure

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Bump

FamousEric

Ready to race!
interesting. i'm half way through school (while serving in the Air Force) to get my electrical engineering degree... reads like this infatuate me.

thanks.

DougDome

Go Kart Champion
Good article, however it could use a good copy edit. Sometimes a couple spelling errors can take a lot away from the reader's experience with the piece. Especially if it influences the perceived credibility of the source.

For instance, I bet you're more likely to believe that a set of instructions left out a step if it was poorly translated from Chinese than if the same instructions were presented in perfect English.

I am not saying that these spelling errors influence my perception of your expertise, but let's say you wanted to leverage this blog to show a potential new employer your skills.

Just food for thought! I thoroughly enjoyed the post :)

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Good article, however it could use a good copy edit. Sometimes a couple spelling errors can take a lot away from the reader's experience with the piece. Especially if it influences the perceived credibility of the source.

For instance, I bet you're more likely to believe that a set of instructions left out a step if it was poorly translated from Chinese than if the same instructions were presented in perfect English.

I am not saying that these spelling errors influence my perception of your expertise, but let's say you wanted to leverage this blog to show a potential new employer your skills.

Just food for thought! I thoroughly enjoyed the post :)

I got ya. I'll review it when I get a chance.