GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front Right Wheel Bearing

JTMK6

How's it going guys, been searching the web for hours figuring out how to do my front right wheel bearing. Ordered my wheel bearing for a REALLY good price, and was planning on replacing it today, just curious if anyone has done this on an MK6 yet? I seen a bunch of MK5 DIY guides but no MK6's.

If anyone has any information on this, let me know. Thanks guys :D

JTMK6

Well I bought it used from the dealer with 7k miles on it, about 4 months ago. When I bought it, I didnt take it on the highway, just city drove it for the test drive. I finally hit the highway 3 months later to find out when I hit 60+ my wheel makes a thumping noise. Come to find out my bearing is screwed and the dealer wont replace it (which made me really pissed). And they wanted 825 bucks, for parts and labor to fix it. So I literally laughed in their face and bought it online for 85 bucks.

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
what was the reason for not covering it? Unless something happened (an impact but you would like see that on wheel and damage to other parts) it should be covered under warranty. The MKVI is going to be identical to a MKV so that DYI should work. Don't forget to pack the bearing correctly and with the right grease (fun stuff if you have to do it by hand).

JTMK6

They had said it wasn't a car defect that it had happened before I bought it, so therefor its not covered since it had happened from a person.. I had almost a 2 hr dispute with them trying to get them to fix it for free because they had sold me a car with a fxcked up bearing -.- Which makes me really mad, makes me not want to buy a used car again regardless of the miles. But thanks I'll check them out again, appreciate the help.

JTMK6

They're pretty much accusing me of doing it, but there is not one scratch on my detroits, and I've NEVER hit anything.

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
Fight it more! That's insane. I would call VW and argue. A wheel bearing should go out at that low of mileage.

65dunebuugy

insert custom title here
Its really simple and can be done in about 30 mins. You will need a M10, M12 Tripple square (go to Sears and order the Schwaben set of 4 and save money if you order online at a Sears store), also will need a 22mm wrench (IRC) to remove the caliper bracket (no need to remove the caliper itself, T30 to remove the rotor retaining screw, a 26mm a hammer (you always new to have one of those around).

1. Remove wheel center cap. (use a pick or small screw driver)
2. Break lose axle bolt (26mm socket)
3. Raise vehicle with jack and support with stand
4. Remove the wheel (17mm socket)
5. Remove caliper bracket (2 bolts used, 22MM)
6. Remove rotor retaining screw (T30 screwdriver)
7. Remove 4 bearing retaining bolts (M12 triple square and a hammer to tap the socket into the bolt, You will strip it if you don't. Turn the car to the right all the way to get the axle to come out.
8. Beat bearing out.
9. Clean mating surface
10. Install new bearing (4 bolts, torque to gutten n tight)
11. Slide axle into bearing (do not force)
12. Install axle nut (do not tighten)
13. Re-install rotor and retaining screw (apply anti-seize if desired)
14. Re-install caliper bracket bolts (apply anti-seize if desired)
15. Re-install wheel (17mm socket)
16. Lower car
17. Tighten axle nut

lon888

Ready to race!
Unless you have done some front suspension mods you're not telling us about, the bearing should be covered under your 3/30K warranty. A bearing is not a "normal wear item" like brake pads or clutch. If you can, go to another dealer or call VWoA and find out why its not covered under your warranty. Good luck.

JTMK6

Nope my car is completely stock other then APR Carbonio intake, breathing kit, and Revo stage 1. Haven't touched my suspension at all. I've been down there everyday for the past week talking to them and I just got to the point where I said fxck it and just ordered it myself. But good thinking Ion, Ill probably call them up and see whats going on, and see what they can do before I even touch this new hub/bearing.

@65dunebugy - Thanks man, found a MK5 DIY guide so I'll go off of that.

Type_TDi

Just joined this forum to share my experience on a similar problem I've been experiencing in hopes to help and find the solution. If you want to read the "long" version, here's a link (http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f19/2010-golf-tdi-60-75-mph-vibration-shaking-14546/)

My car is a 2010 Golf TDi with about 22k on the clock, I also bought the car used about 2 months ago. In short, I've tried 4 different sets of wheels (the stock 17"'s, a set of VMR 18"'s, stock 04' A4 16"'s, and the 18"'s BBS CH's off my old S4), the left front axle has been changed under warranty and an alignment performed. The dealer had three people drive it on the interstate and all reported no issues. If there's something I don't want to hear from any dealership, ever again, is "we checked it out, you're all set". I've had Porsche's, Audi's and now a VW and anytime you hear that, it's about as useful as hearing "we did some random things that might have fixed it but we're in such a rush we can't really find the root cause so see you next time". OK, end rant :)

There are issues. This weekend I found out that two of the rims that came with the car were bent. I'm OCD, so I measured them with a dial indicator (see video's in link to other forum), there's is no refuting that they are bent, but I don't even want to bother trying to get the dealership to pay for it. In their eyes I'm probably taking the car to run in hill climbs and other off road adventures.

Similar to dasVW.com's other post, I have the same hummmm pause hummmm, pause type of sound going on. You can absolutely hear it on some of the new fresh pavement sections I drive on daily. The steering wheel shakes and I'm tired of enduring it for 1.5 hours a day :) There are certainly speeds above 60mph where the problem is worse, and hitting the throttle amplify's it.

These folks at the dealership have been very friendly, however at this point they don't seem to have the skills to nail down the issue. So, similar to what JTMK6 decided, I'm going to slap new bearings on myself and see how it goes.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
OP: Where did you buy the car? Factory warranty on the GTI is 3 years/36k miles, though I'm pretty sure the bearing would fall into the drivetrain category, in which case I think it's 5 years/60k miles...

I had a wheel bearing replaced on my Mk5 Jetta under CPO warranty after my dumb ass tried to do a handbrake slide and wound up sliding off the concrete, through dirt, and into a curb...Replaced both rear wheels myself, alignment was OK, though quickly got some growling noise from the rear. Took it in, feigned ignorance, an hour later I had a brand new bearing.

dasVW.com

Ready to race!
Just joined this forum to share my experience on a similar problem I've been experiencing in hopes to help and find the solution. If you want to read the "long" version, here's a link (http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f19/2010-golf-tdi-60-75-mph-vibration-shaking-14546/)

My car is a 2010 Golf TDi with about 22k on the clock, I also bought the car used about 2 months ago. In short, I've tried 4 different sets of wheels (the stock 17"'s, a set of VMR 18"'s, stock 04' A4 16"'s, and the 18"'s BBS CH's off my old S4), the left front axle has been changed under warranty and an alignment performed. The dealer had three people drive it on the interstate and all reported no issues. If there's something I don't want to hear from any dealership, ever again, is "we checked it out, you're all set". I've had Porsche's, Audi's and now a VW and anytime you hear that, it's about as useful as hearing "we did some random things that might have fixed it but we're in such a rush we can't really find the root cause so see you next time". OK, end rant :)

There are issues. This weekend I found out that two of the rims that came with the car were bent. I'm OCD, so I measured them with a dial indicator (see video's in link to other forum), there's is no refuting that they are bent, but I don't even want to bother trying to get the dealership to pay for it. In their eyes I'm probably taking the car to run in hill climbs and other off road adventures.

Similar to dasVW.com's other post, I have the same hummmm pause hummmm, pause type of sound going on. You can absolutely hear it on some of the new fresh pavement sections I drive on daily. The steering wheel shakes and I'm tired of enduring it for 1.5 hours a day :) There are certainly speeds above 60mph where the problem is worse, and hitting the throttle amplify's it.

These folks at the dealership have been very friendly, however at this point they don't seem to have the skills to nail down the issue. So, similar to what JTMK6 decided, I'm going to slap new bearings on myself and see how it goes.

Let me know if your hummmm goes away after the new wheel bearing.