GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 12-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
allset
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: 2014 Audi S5 Prestige Package
Send a message via AIM to allset
TOB-Throw Out Bearing Squeal Video Clip

This is the notorious TOB squeal that many ppl here have. Ive yet to hear a good example so here is mine; turn up the volume u cant miss it- happens about 5 seconds in.

It is caused by the 2 piece plastic design of the TOB ( revision part # 0A5141671E)

The slave shaft on the TOB is 2 pieces connected using an o ring to seal it. Apparently, this o ring is not sufficient for the pressure of the oil traveling within. Most likely due to rubber becoming less flexible at cold temps since the noise only seems to happen at lower outside temps with cold starts. The oil slowly leaks past the ring and makes it to the pressure plate and flywheel causing the noise when engaging into first.

The new revised TOB (revision part # 0A5141671F) is a cast aluminum TOB casing with a 1 piece slave shaft; no leaks no squeal.

The info collected here and other sources is being pooled by a few members for submission to VWOA. Right now, all of the available TOB revisions fail and make this squeal. Its very labor intensive to get the TOB removed and reinstalled, so were trying to get some answers on alternatives for this part. Please add ur name if this effects you to the list on the last one posted in this thread.

LUK is VW's primary manufacturer of drive train parts, clutch, pressure plate, single mass and dual mass flywheels, TOB's, etc.

The Schaeffler Group is a combo of LUK (drive train), FAG (chassis) and INA (bearings, etc)

Both are German based companies, both manufacture and/or supply their parts to VW and both have been contacted as part of this effort.

Please add all relevant info to ur TOB failure when u post and take the poll using the link.

Thx.

Also take this poll on ur TOB issue: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28851

SOLD! |UNI KO4 #20 |Shaved Hood&Grille|APR Intercooler|Carbonio|KW V1|Peloquin LSD|Brembo GT 330mm|SB Stage 2 clutch| Centric Rear Matching Rotors|SNOW Methanol Injection|UR Catted/Res'd DP|Borla Catback|NEUSPEED RSe12 Hyper Black,KO4 TDP,TB Pipe,NEUSPEED 25mm & 28mm Sways,Support Brackets & Endlinks|Tyrol DeadSet Kit|R LED Tails|Klii Inlay|VCDS Tweaked||SupremePower.com|KMDTuning.com|GSE|

Last edited by allset; 11-23-2013 at 04:13 PM.
allset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
allset
Formula 1 Driver

FYI on TOB:

Older version part # (0A5141671E)

Latest version part # (0A5141671F)
SOLD! |UNI KO4 #20 |Shaved Hood&Grille|APR Intercooler|Carbonio|KW V1|Peloquin LSD|Brembo GT 330mm|SB Stage 2 clutch| Centric Rear Matching Rotors|SNOW Methanol Injection|UR Catted/Res'd DP|Borla Catback|NEUSPEED RSe12 Hyper Black,KO4 TDP,TB Pipe,NEUSPEED 25mm & 28mm Sways,Support Brackets & Endlinks|Tyrol DeadSet Kit|R LED Tails|Klii Inlay|VCDS Tweaked||SupremePower.com|KMDTuning.com|GSE|
Old 12-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
Isj
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2014 Audi S4
Isj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
allset
Formula 1 Driver

Thanks Isj....

how do u do it again?
Old 12-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
allset
Formula 1 Driver

If u have this problem add ur name, Model Year and TOB revision (D,E,F) that was removed if u have gone that far to this list, i want to give VWOA a percentage of the problem just in here.

Also take this poll: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28851

1. allset 2010

Last edited by allset; 12-08-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
Gti For Me
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTI APR K04 V.3.1
Man is that the fing noise i been hearing every morning when i start the car up,make that loud howl/grone sound for 2 sec and never comes back till the next morning.

It's been doing that when the car had 1K miles on it bone stock,then the mod bug came.I now have 18K.
Gti For Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:08 PM   #7
allset
Formula 1 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti For Me View Post
Man is that the fing noise i been hearing every morning when i start the car up,make that loud howl/grone sound for 2 sec and never comes back till the next morning.

It's been doing that when the car had 1K miles on it bone stock,then the mod bug came.I now have 18K.
yup me too, had it since 2k now 28k. Its worse when it cold but usually always there when clutch is under load.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:17 PM   #8
Gti For Me
Formula 5000 Driver

Mine only on start up and never under load making me think it could be the starter
Old 12-07-2011, 10:26 PM   #9
allset
Formula 1 Driver

Quote:
Mine only on start up and never under load making me think it could be the starter
it happens as ur pressing or releasing the clutch and giving it gas right?
Old 12-07-2011, 10:31 PM   #10
Gti For Me
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by allset View Post
it happens as ur pressing or releasing the clutch and giving it gas right?
nope only on first cold start up,clutch pedal depressed and will not do it again till the next morning.In you video it is the exact same noise but only when i start the car cold.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #11
allset
Formula 1 Driver

Quote:
nope only on first cold start up,clutch pedal depressed and will not do it again till the next morning.In you video it is the exact same noise but only when i start the car cold.
Thats weird. although in the begining mine would only do it when it was cold. Now it does it cold and warm but not every time.

Im replacing the clutch next month so idk wat TOB version to use; they both squeal. F revision i guess.

effing noise is so embarrassing
Old 12-07-2011, 10:36 PM   #12
Gti For Me
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by allset View Post
Thats weird. although in the begining mine would only do it when it was cold. Now it does it cold and warm but not every time.

Im replacing the clutch next month so idk wat TOB version to use; they both squeal. F revision i guess.

effing noise is so embarrassing

It's starting to get on my nerve,i just wish it did it all the time and im soon for a clutch up grade when i put my K04 on in about 2 weeks
Old 12-07-2011, 10:39 PM   #13
allset
Formula 1 Driver

Quote:
It's starting to get on my nerve,i just wish it did it all the time and im soon for a clutch up grade when i put my K04 on in about 2 weeks
u have a 2010 like me, u prolly have the E version. Apparantly they changed the seal on the F revsion TOB so make sure they install that one.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:40 PM   #14
carsfeverguy
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2010 Gti
If u have this problem add ur name to this list, i want to give VWOA a percentage of the problem just in here.

1. allset
2. Carsfeverguy (am at 31000kms, started 2000kms ago-only on cold mornings, none after that)
carsfeverguy is offline   Reply With Quote