GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > DIY Guides and Discussions

Old 12-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
roy_gti
Ready to race!

Drives: Golf VI gti
How to remove Grille to replace front VW emblem?

i just received piano black VW emblem, order from blog-sport and i'm wondering how to remove the chrome vw symbol on the back and then put the black one on - i looked in the DIY's but couldnt really find any good info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC109551.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	15064  
roy_gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
lon888
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI Carbon Steel Gray 4-door
The grill assembly is held on by some torq fasteners (I'm thinking 4 of them) - they are easily seen when you raise the hood. Remove the screws and wigggle the grill a little, it'll come out.
Valentine 1 / OEM Short Shifter / Euro Dash Cubbie / Euro Seat Cubbie / ECS Torque Arm Insert / Tyrol sport caliper kit / Euro light switch / Dummy button garage door opener / Auto dimming mirror / Stainless Brake Lines / BFI 25mm rear sway bar / euro front and rear cupholders / 42dd Shifter bushings
lon888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
Vwfreak
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 CW TDI
Put your fingers in the emblem, and turn slighty clockwise. To put back new one repeat the same steps but counter clockwise. No need to remove the grill.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
michal
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI
It can be done just by turning the emblem counterclockwise and pulling it out but if you don't want to brake any of the emblem clips you have to remove the upper grille first.

1) Remove the upper grille ( 4 T25 torx screws off the top of the grille assembly, then press the top of the bumper down, and at the same time pull the grille gently up and out.
2) Turn the emblem counterclockwise (about 20 degrees, you should hear a click) You have to turn the emblem first to align its clips with the “slots”.
3) Turn over the grille
4) Push down the bottom of the net (there are 2 clips holding it on the bottom)
5) Push and slide down the “net” just a little (there are 2 more clips holding it on the top)
You can also do it in a different order #4 and 5 first and then #1 (turn the emblem while watching the clips on the back) if you are afraid you can brake them.
6) Use a small screwdriver or a paint can opener (it has a small hook and it will be easier to pull the clips)
7) Find one of the clips and pulling it toward the center of the emblem, pull down the emblem at the same time (first make sure that the clips are aligned with the “slots”). If not align them first by turning the emblem to the left or right a little.
8) Do the same for the second clip. Usually that’s enough to remove the emblem but you can do it with the third one, too.
9) Put back the “net”
10) Put the emblem back
11) Turn it clockwise to align it (you will hear a click)
michal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:12 AM   #5
Halvie
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: Mr. Negativity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vwfreak View Post
Put your fingers in the emblem, and turn slighty clockwise. To put back new one repeat the same steps but counter clockwise. No need to remove the grill.
is it clockwise or counter clockwise to get it out...
Old 12-16-2011, 08:57 AM   #6
Vwfreak
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 CW TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halvie View Post
I remember turning mine clockwise when I had to remove it...

The instruction from Michal are done with the grill removed from the car. To remove the emblem only, you just turn it gently and the emblem comes out.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:28 PM   #7
ChiGuyGolf2.5
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 Golf 2.5L
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_gti View Post
i just received piano black VW emblem, order from blog-sport and i'm wondering how to remove the chrome vw symbol on the back and then put the black one on - i looked in the DIY's but couldnt really find any good info.
Let me just point out the name from the thread "How to remove Grille to replace front VW emblem"

Im confused... which is it, front or back?
ChiGuyGolf2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #8
michal
Formula 5000 Champion

Quote:
I remember turning mine clockwise when I had to remove it...

The instruction from Michal are done with the grill removed from the car. To remove the emblem only, you just turn it gently and the emblem comes out.
In the first few lines of my instruction I stated that you can remove it without taking of the front grill. But I do not recommend it. I did it 3 times by turning the emblem but when I did it for the 4th time I broke 1 clips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halvie View Post
It's definitely counterclockwise.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #9
michal
Formula 5000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuyGolf2.5 View Post
Let me just point out the name from the thread "How to remove Grille to replace front VW emblem"

Im confused... which is it, front or back?
You do not have a rear grille so it's for the front one.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #10
bmallicote
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2011 Tornado Red Autobahn GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by michal View Post
1) Remove the upper grille ( 4 T25 torx screws off the top of the grille assembly, then press the top of the bumper down, and at the same time pull the grille gently up and out.
2) Turn the emblem counterclockwise (about 20 degrees, you should hear a click) You have to turn the emblem first to align its clips with the “slots”.
3) Turn over the grille
5) Push and slide down the “net” just a little (there are 2 more clips holding it on the top)
You can also do it in a different order #4 and 5 first and then #1 (turn the emblem while watching the clips on the back) if you are afraid you can brake them.
6) Use a small screwdriver or a paint can opener (it has a small hook and it will be easier to pull the clips)
7) Find one of the clips and pulling it toward the center of the emblem, pull down the emblem at the same time (first make sure that the clips are aligned with the “slots”). If not align them first by turning the emblem to the left or right a little.
8) Do the same for the second clip. Usually that’s enough to remove the emblem but you can do it with the third one, too.
9) Put back the “net”
10) Put the emblem back
I tool the grill off to remove mine. it was a challenge. but better than braking something.
'11 4dr DSG Tornado Red Autobahn, APR stage 2 ECU, APR CAI 1 & 2, APR downpipe, APR Badge, Clear side markers, Blacked out Front emblem, Red led throughout cabin, Euro switch, Golf R tail lights, FK Silverline Coilovers, Cross Drilled & Slotted Rotors.
bmallicote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #11
razr390
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 UG MK6 2.5 6ATSun&Conv.
I need help! I got the grille off but would anyone care to explain to me how to take the polished front of the grill from the matte part, what clips do I unsnap, etc.?

I'm only 17 and this is my first DIY with this car..

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
razr390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #12
Delta0Medusa
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI 6spd
This may be the most difficult thing ive ever done. Im still working on removing the front emblem...going to smash the damn thing with a hammer in a second
Old 01-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #13
JDM713
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2010 CW GTI DSG
any tips on removing the front GTI badge to replace? I know it has clips, but is removing the grille recommended/necessary?

| APR | Forge | Koni |
| OEM+ | Osir | Magnaflow |
| H&R | SPM |
JDM713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:11 PM   #14
Delta0Medusa
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI 6spd
Finally got it off. Complete pain(at least for me) until i finally noticed the clips everyone has been talking about. First coat of Plasti dip is on!

Last edited by Delta0Medusa; 01-26-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Delta0Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:52 AM   #15
CELR

Drives: 2012 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by michal View Post
It can be done just by turning the emblem counterclockwise and pulling it out but if you don't want to brake any of the emblem clips you have to remove the upper grille first.

3) Turn over the grille
9) Put back the “net”
10) Put the emblem back
I only managed to removed the grille, but is struggling to perform Step No.2

will try again later LOL
CELR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:04 PM   #16
Billy_Bob
Rally Car Champion

Drives: Turbocharged Blueberry
I've actually ended up breaking two emblems from trying to turn the emblem. IDK if the 2012 grille is any different. needless to say, I don;t think it's worth it.
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:09 PM   #17
booini
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2012 Gti MKVI 4dr 6spd Autobahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by CELR View Post
I only managed to removed the grille, but is struggling to perform Step No.2

will try again later LOL
LOL I'm stuck at ste 2 also - #4 AND #5 are easy - pushing the net, and releasing the clips - got that... no problem...

But the twisting the emblem aint happening.

At first I was cautiously twisting lightly to not break anything, later (out of frustration) I gave it some whack... That bad boy isn't budging.

I was hopign to take some detailed step-by-step photos to be more helpful than anything else out there so far, but that's not looking good at this rate!

booini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #18
FiGGy77
FIA GT Champion

Drives: '12 2DR GTI CSG
twisting the emblem is near impossible. after some hours spent and careful examination, it's not coming off unless you break something. not sure how y'all twisted it w/o anything breaking. i had to take everything apart just to get it off. i have some photos. i'll post later
Old 03-26-2012, 06:31 AM   #19
Wheat
Go Kart Champion

Drives: Mk6 GOLF 1.4 TSI SE
Quote:
You actualy twist it counter clockwise to take it off, if your facing the front of the car that is. Just be carefull and you can do it without breaking anything.
Wheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #20
booini
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2012 Gti MKVI 4dr 6spd Autobahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheat View Post
You actualy twist it counter clockwise to take it off, if your facing the front of the car that is. Just be carefull and you can do it without breaking anything.
Since a lot of people seem to find simply twisting the front emblem off near impossible - could someone who has accomplished this please take a video showing how it's done?

It would apparently help a lot of people!

I gave up and removed the grille, masked out the emblem, and plasti-dipped the front this weekend.

I don't LOVE my results, so I'll be reapplying next weekend... but if I could do it by twisting out the front emblem it would be a much neater finish.

booini is offline   Reply With Quote