GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just Skip Stage II totally and go for KO4?

TheCastle

Ready to race!
I've been doing a lot of reading on this and other Forum's on performance upgrade options for my 2011 MK6 GTI with DSG. I just wanted to share my thoughts with everyone and gather some opinions pro's con's or otherwise on my thought about APR's upgrades.

Anyway Stage 1 is a fantastic option provides tons of power for $599 and seems to have no real down side. 254hp on 93 octane :)

Stage II is basically an ECU tune, Intake $269 (Carbino), Down Pipe $629.10 and install about $300 for both. So for about ~1300 you get 274hp, or about 20 hp more than Stage II. hmmm. That and most of the real-world comparisons show little->no difference in performance on the street between stage I and II. they're close enough that driving talent is the bigger factor in a race. Plus the intake and down pipe add some more noise to the car. So there isn't much upside it would seem to stage II

But, you can do a K04 on a stock car according to APR. You do not need a down pipe, intake, or intercooler upgrade to use this turbo. However, to get the maximum from it you should do the supporting mods. APR has a software tune for a K04 on a stock car... Anyway a K04 is $2400ish right now at APR, and my local shop will install it for $600. So for about ~$3000 you will get about 335hp/345lb-ft (based on AWE numbers on a stock car, APR will not disclose the performance of K04 on a stock car). Plus going this route you won't really increase the noise level of the car much.

So my thinking is going from Stage I->II you get 20 dyno HP, and not much difference on the street for $1300 or $65 per HP and added noise.

why not just skip all the stage II mods, and just bolt on a K04? You get ~81hp and your cost per HP is on $37, seems like a better way to go for more performance and bang for the buck. You can always do the intake and down-pipe later for more performance.

Anyone here just skipped all the stage II mods like I'm contemplating and just bolted on a K04? You guys happy with it? Any reliability problems with a K04 and stock hardware. Was there one mod that you did that made a huge difference with the K04, like an S3 intercooler, intake, down-pipe?

Just thinking it might be a better bang for the buck just to bolt on a K04, plus its a lot more stealthy to a dealer and may make it much easier to hide for warranty repairs? Anyone have thoughts?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I was going to, but I can't afford it right now, so will be stage 2 in another 2 weeks. If you can afford it, sure - by all means, go for it.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I wholeheartedly agree. Stock to K04 would be worth while until you get the supporting mods. and honestly, I dont think the dealer would EVER notice

So many K04 threads lately....should I make a K04 technical thread?

BAM its mitch

Go Kart Champion
I've been doing a lot of reading on this and other Forum's on performance upgrade options for my 2011 MK6 GTI with DSG. I just wanted to share my thoughts with everyone and gather some opinions pro's con's or otherwise on my thought about APR's upgrades.

Anyway Stage 1 is a fantastic option provides tons of power for $599 and seems to have no real down side. 254hp on 93 octane :)

Stage II is basically an ECU tune, Intake $269 (Carbino), Down Pipe $629.10 and install about $300 for both. So for about ~1300 you get 274hp, or about 20 hp more than Stage II. hmmm. That and most of the real-world comparisons show little->no difference in performance on the street between stage I and II. they're close enough that driving talent is the bigger factor in a race. Plus the intake and down pipe add some more noise to the car. So there isn't much upside it would seem to stage II

But, you can do a K04 on a stock car according to APR. You do not need a down pipe, intake, or intercooler upgrade to use this turbo. However, to get the maximum from it you should do the supporting mods. APR has a software tune for a K04 on a stock car... Anyway a K04 is $2400ish right now at APR, and my local shop will install it for $600. So for about ~$3000 you will get about 335hp/345lb-ft (based on AWE numbers on a stock car, APR will not disclose the performance of K04 on a stock car). Plus going this route you won't really increase the noise level of the car much.

So my thinking is going from Stage I->II you get 20 dyno HP, and not much difference on the street for $1300 or $65 per HP and added noise.

why not just skip all the stage II mods, and just bolt on a K04? You get ~81hp and your cost per HP is on $37, seems like a better way to go for more performance and bang for the buck. You can always do the intake and down-pipe later for more performance.

Anyone here just skipped all the stage II mods like I'm contemplating and just bolted on a K04? You guys happy with it? Any reliability problems with a K04 and stock hardware. Was there one mod that you did that made a huge difference with the K04, like an S3 intercooler, intake, down-pipe?

Just thinking it might be a better bang for the buck just to bolt on a K04, plus its a lot more stealthy to a dealer and may make it much easier to hide for warranty repairs? Anyone have thoughts?

I think the main reason most people don't is because the intake and exhaust will only make K04 better and the tune doesn't cost anything extra. Oh and of course money.

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
If you can afford it, like Gunkata said, go for it. That being said...two things:

1) stage 1 to stage 2 IS a great and quite noticeable bump in performance, despite what you may think...stage 1 adds a nice low end burst, stage 2 fills the whole thing out and provides a nice, smooth power band vs. a lolvtec kick

2) Upgrading all at once may be nice in terms of getting to the result you want, but doing these upgrades in increments is part of the fun. Keep in mind, you are really losing out with a K04 without an upgraded intake and downpipe...which you'd want (in terms of the intake) for any stage and need (in terms of the downpipe) in terms of stage 2. Running a K04 setup without either would be wasteful AND you'll definitely end up getting both before the day is done...trust me. If you do these things AFTER the fact, they won't feel as significant.

Consider yourself lucky, though. Being DSG means no added cost with the K04 from an automatically necessary clutch upgrade.

TheCastle

Ready to race!
I wholeheartedly agree. Stock to K04 would be worth while until you get the supporting mods. and honestly, I dont think the dealer would EVER notice

Its Christmas and with a so many people already Stage I, and the K04 is on sale. Very tempting!

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
well I would say that your numbers are off a bit. The fact is that when you go stage 2 (by adding a dp and getting the tune) you will feel a pretty good jump in power on the road, no question about that. As for running the k04 without any supporting mods, the numbers are more like 300 hp. So now the question for you is, is it worth $2,300 to jump from 274 hp on stage 2, to 300 hp on k04? This is according to Arin, who posted yesterday about this. Another thing is that you live in Texas. You are definitely going to want an intercooler. Having been stage 2 on the stock intercooler, there is a decent amount of heatsoak, and on k04 and in texas, I'm sure it's going to be very frustrating.
I am also in the boat of going k04, and when you install the k04, you have to take off the dp, so you might as well just get a downpipe so that way you can save the couple hundred bucks of installing it later. The k04 is an expensive proposition, contrary to what most peole say. You really will need some kind of intercooler, and it really makes no sense not to get a downpipe, because you'll lose money on the install. You're also looking at a clutch within a very short period.
I completely understand what you're saying, but now that I'm in the thick of ordering things, I've realized it's not a quick, simple solution of $2,300 and i'll build it out later... Don't forget install about about $500-$600 on intercooler plus $600-800 on the k04. Plus clutch install down the road...

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion

He's not stock though, he already has the stage 1 tune. I agree a stock to k04, makes sense. That's actually the way i'm doing it. You save the cost of the stage 1 tune ($600 + install) if you go straight to k04.

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
I'm also interested in running the K04 on the stock DP for emissions and sound reasons.
I actually went back from stage 2 to 1 for those reasons.
Maybe Arin can chime in and let us know what the power loss would be from using the stock DP with the K04 and if the non-test pipe file would cause any CEL's or emissions issues.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
he's mentioned there is some power loss, but nothing too crazy and it shouldnt affect CEL's / emissions.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
How about this. From Stock to Stages. Price Per HP and Price Per TQ

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 370

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
How about this. From Stock to Stages. Price Per HP and Price Per TQ

Nitpicking, but shouldn't it be calculated using increase of HP/TQ over stock instead of total HP/TQ? Nevertheless, chart clearly shows that tuning is the best bang for the buck. But most of us here *won't mention any names* aren't really practical in that sense....to say the least. ;)

Oh and I found Arin's post from yesterday...sorry.

I would expect around 300 HP or so. It's actually a pretty big difference.

That is a big difference. If it was ~30, I'd consider it. But 60+ is quite a lot. Wish there was a dyno to confirm.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Great Table. Are you quoting AWE's retail compared to APR's sale pricing? Not quite clear as to what is what.

Its says it on the sheet. APR sale pricing with APR prodcuts.

THe only AWE claim is the Stock K04 numbers

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
APR is saying k04 with stock supporting mods puts out 300, which is a huge difference between 335hp, as 300 hp is only 25 hp more than stage 2, which wouldn't be worth the investment of the k04 at $2,300. The best way to do k04 is to at least get a downpipe, and intercooler and intake have to be a close second.... If you're going to have all APR figues, you might as well keep those figures for the k04, not switch to AWE. Plus the OP is only talking about APR, so i'm assuming he has APR stage 1, so if you want him to switch over to AWE, you have to add that into the cost.