GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECS Tuning:VAG Jack Pad Adapter Kit Volkswagen Golf V 2.0T

sgessler2011

Ready to race!
For Christmas I received the ECS Tuning VW jack pad kit.
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Search/Jack/ES251835/

At first I didn't think it would fit the GTI. Upon second inspection I discovered that the front jack pad location is concealed by a part of the underbody aerodynamic shielding with the dimples on it. Once the small access panels are loosened the factory installed cover that is plugged into the frame can be removed by prying with a flathead screwdriver and the front jack pad can be gently jacked into place within the frame.
The rear install was much easier. Simply pull the rubber plug out of the frame and replace with the jack pad plug by jacking it into the frame slowly. Now when you want to lift the car you can do it with much greater confidence using the factory designed OEM parts.
See the attached photos for help. The ECS install page is pretty bad and doesn't mention the GTI needs the front underbody panel removed to install the front kit.

Steve
ecs pad.jpg

IMG_3448.jpg

IMG_3449.jpg

IMG_3451.jpg

IMG_3447.jpg

IMG_3450.jpg

IMG_3452.jpg

IMG_3453.jpg

sgessler2011

Ready to race!
so where do you jack it

The flat pad ( first photo) sits on the jack. You jack it into the cylindrical receiver to ensure its positively in place. BMW uses a rectangular jack point in much the same way.

BAM its mitch

Go Kart Champion
I looked into these and came to find out that those jack points are designed for a 4 point lift, not a floor jack. The understanding I got was that by using these jack points with a floor jack, you could potentially cause some bending of the surrounding body. Something you might want to investigate further.

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
I looked into these and came to find out that those jack points are designed for a 4 point lift, not a floor jack. The understanding I got was that by using these jack points with a floor jack, you could potentially cause some bending of the surrounding body. Something you might want to investigate further.

This.

sgessler2011

Ready to race!

Forward the information please. I'll contact VW and see what I can find. The area where these are installed is a very robust part of the unibody. That said ill look further. Post what ever info you have and the source.

To quote ecs "If you have ever tried to lift a Volkswagen / Audi car from the rockers, then you know how frustrating and potentially dangerous it can be. If your floor jack is not properly placed on the rockers, they will crush and bend under the pressure causing a dangerous situation. This ECS jack pad adapter fits right into your factory jack pads, and provides a safe lifting point for any floor jack allowing you to work on your car with peace of mind.

One jack pad is required for corner, so if you typically lift your car up one corner at a time you only need one jack pad adapter. This jack pad adapter works perfectly with our Schwaben low-boy jack (ES240941) for the perfect solution to lifting your car at home."

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:

micah360

Ready to race!
I've jacked my VWs and Audis for years (countless times) from the designated jack points on the rockers, with a good floorjack (no pad), and I've never had a problem with any crushing or bending and it's felt very secure. Not sure what ECS is talking about there?

Last edited:

sgessler2011

Ready to race!
This is the information I came across when looking at them. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5110208-Do-These-Jack-Pad-Adapters-From-ECS-Really-Work

You may want to contact scenturion and see where he got his information from regarding the floor jack/4 point lift.

Reading all related threads now. Thanks BAM.I'll talk to my VW techs as well. This is from the thread link on vortex:

Originally Posted by scenturion
"Just saw this thread -
They are only meant to be used on a 4-point lift. Jacking the car with a floor jack from one of these points can bend the underbody.

And, yes, you can buy them from other places, such as worldimpex or probably your local VW dealer with the part numbers, 8N0 804 583 and 8N0 803 855."

If you just want to use a floor jack, I would recommend something like this to lift from the pinch welds, or just do what I did and cut a slot into a hockey puck
."

Reply to scenturion:
"Okay this is what I found while speaking to various people at ECS, VW Tech, and my local GTI crowd. First, scenturion is right about a few things. These reinforced rubber pads are VW approved for a 4 point lift found at most dealers. But if you were to go to the top picture, you'll notice that it's not just a simple rubber plug, that it's actually a two piece system. The funnel shaped center piece fits into the rubber pad after the rubber pad has been installed. That transfers the load to the upper welded frame and according to my sources, makes it perfectly fine to use as a lift point without fear of bending anything, especially if you were to use the custom black anodized aluminum jack pad adapter from ECS. It has a raised nipple on one side that fits inside the base of the black cone shaped plug. Now I agree it could be a little scary to use a jack stand here, but I will test it first. If you were to leave out that cone shaped piece, then yes, it would bend the lower pan since all the weight (load) will be on it alone. Second, these pads ARE REMOVEABLE. Simply remove the center cone shaped plug and pull off the rubber pad, then install your plastic cover if you wish.

I'm buying a set. Thanks all."

I'll do my Hw now too.
Steve

Last edited:

Gti-mrk6

Ready to race!
:thumbdown:
Got these adapters only to find that jacking the front using these adapters does not allow for jack stand placement under control arm mount/bracket since your jack is gets in the way.

Hornblower

Passed Driver's Ed
:thumbdown:
Got these adapters only to find that jacking the front using these adapters does not allow for jack stand placement under control arm mount/bracket since your jack is gets in the way.

X2...bought 2 sets of these, one for Jetta and the other for GTI. I was also disappointed to find how difficult it was to use these and still have access to either the pinch weld jack points or the control arm bracket. I tried using a low and long floor jack which should have made the job easier but that didn't help. The real problem is the locations of those pads are just too close to other possible jack points making the use of jack stands difficult. I suppose a shop using a four-point lift will really appreciate these as long as they realize they are there. From that perspective, it wasn't a total waste.

Cyclehobby

Passed Driver's Ed
Slotted hockey puck. Fits nicely on the rocker pinch (just like the factory emergency-it-will-fall-on-you-and-kill-you jack) and lays perfectly in the lift area of my floor jack. No crushing, no scratches and cheap. I made 2 of them. One to keep in the car and one for the garage. What the hell.

Used the same one on my old Audi A4 before I bought my GTI.