GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR K04 TSI DIY Install

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
A question from the other Thread:

Quick question and I maybe should post this in another thread but how did you go about torquing the manifold studs/nuts? Physically I mean, can you get a torque wrench back there? Looks tight.

Yes. I have a standard 3/8" torque wrench you can buy from harbor freight or mostly anywhere. They're all about the same size. That plus a 3inch extension with a normal socket worked great.

Note: I DID have the entire rain shield and plenum cover off to access the ECU so I had a few more vertical inches to work with.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Modified OPs to include no attachments = Bigger pictures.

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
Did you break in the turbo before you got on it?????????

grambles423

Automotive Engineer

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
hey, got a noob question here. im possibly considering a k04. so if i were to install this myself how does the install of the software play into all this. i understand the swapping of the turbo but could i install the k04 and then drive the car to get it tuned? or can i do the software stuff myself? in the picture on the awe and apr website they show what looks to be an ecu, do i just plug that in and drive?

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
hey, got a noob question here. im possibly considering a k04. so if i were to install this myself how does the install of the software play into all this. i understand the swapping of the turbo but could i install the k04 and then drive the car to get it tuned? or can i do the software stuff myself? in the picture on the awe and apr website they show what looks to be an ecu, do i just plug that in and drive?

When i installed my K04 i drove it in stock mode for 1 week till i had the software done,that's what Arin said to do.Just drive it soft.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer

No, you cannot do the software stuff yourself. I had the same issue with scheduling. I didn't know whether or not I was going to be able to get it up to their HQ to tune it the same day I installed. I talked to Arin and he said keep it in stock mode and just dont run it hard.

OR You can do what I did and ship your ECU to them. Its really not hard pulling it out just a few tamper screws to dremel out. Replace those, and you're golden.

f00kie1

Go Kart Champion
I plan on doing my own K04 install too (thanks for this thread!) and was wondering apart from the K04 (in the mail) what else I need to purchase. I noticed that I need:
- A rev-D DV? Is this required, or can I use the one on my current car?
- Oil (nice... I am due for an oil change in the next 2 months!)
- Filter
- Of course all of the tools

Anything else I am missing?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I plan on doing my own K04 install too (thanks for this thread!) and was wondering apart from the K04 (in the mail) what else I need to purchase. I noticed that I need:
- A rev-D DV? Is this required, or can I use the one on my current car?
- Oil (nice... I am due for an oil change in the next 2 months!)
- Filter
- Of course all of the tools

Anything else I am missing?

What you'll need:
- Rev DV is not NEEDED but highly recommended
- Oil + Filter
- Coolant (G12, dont worry about plus or super plus)

Tools:
- Pretty much EVERYTHING listed in the DIY is what you need, but I'd suggest having an assortment of different types to suffice the need for hand clearance, tool clearance, and bolt extraction. My hands are small, I was able to break torque with the rachet and loosen by hand, this many not be the case for others.

PM if you have any other questions about the install.

f00kie1

Go Kart Champion
What you'll need:
- Rev DV is not NEEDED but highly recommended
- Oil + Filter
- Coolant (G12, dont worry about plus or super plus)

Tools:
- Pretty much EVERYTHING listed in the DIY is what you need, but I'd suggest having an assortment of different types to suffice the need for hand clearance, tool clearance, and bolt extraction. My hands are small, I was able to break torque with the rachet and loosen by hand, this many not be the case for others.

PM if you have any other questions about the install.

Thanks! Is 1 gallon of coolant okay?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Thanks! Is 1 gallon of coolant okay?

Definitely. Mix it 50/50 with either distilled or tap water. Doesnt make a difference. Distilled might be better and its only about $1-2 at the grocery store

f00kie1

Go Kart Champion
Definitely. Mix it 50/50 with either distilled or tap water. Doesnt make a difference. Distilled might be better and its only about $1-2 at the grocery store

Thanks. And is there a way to figure out the revision of the DV ahead of time without taking stuff apart (lifting on stands is fine)? My car is a 2012 so maybe they put 'D' in there by now?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Meh you could do it. This was my first turbo install as well.