GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-21-2017, 11:12 PM   #1
pppfrank
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 8
Unhappy Start engine low rpm / car shaking 10-25 mph

Hi guys I do like this car but unfortunately I've met so many problem with it. Last year it kept stalling and had strange noise from tank direction. Spent 1k on it for cleaning engine and it was good for a while.

Right now the car still have problem. Last time I just started the car but the rpm is only about 600 (nearly stall). I gave a little gas it jumped to 1500 immediately. What is more is the car keeps shaking when I'm cruising about 10-25 mph. It feels like misfire but no code.

Anyone has same issue? Thanks.

2011GTI DSG 73000mile no tune

Last edited by pppfrank; 09-21-2017 at 11:19 PM.
pppfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:47 AM   #2
Mk6 Steve
Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: 2013 Black GTI coupe DSG
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: New Jersey/New York
Posts: 299
It could be several things. My first guess would be the coil packs. They're known to go bad prematurely. Next check your intake piping as you may be sucking in unmetered air. Are you using a VCDS cable to check for your diagnosis?
__________________
APR Stg 2 V2.4 w/ EMCS, Carbonio Stg 1 + 2 w/ AEM dry-flo filter, APR RSC TBE, Do88 Ic, 034 Catch Can Kit, AWE S3 top, Neuspeed charge pipe, GFB DV+ New revision, Rev D, R8 coils w/ NGK 2667, 034 motor/trans mounts, HPA 75A, TyrolSport subframe and brake stiffening kit, F+R Centric w/ StopTech Strt pads, USP SS brake lines, Depo dark cherry tails, ECS Blind Spot Mirrors, Enkei 18x8 black M52 w/ Conti DWS, Soundaktor delete, VCDS Hex-Can, P3 gauge
Mk6 Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:12 AM   #3
WeekendWarriorz
Touring Car Champion
 
WeekendWarriorz's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW Z4M
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA
Posts: 223
Coils, Spark plugs, Boost leak? Usually when the car revs so freely with the blip of the throttle it's an air leak in the intake piping or boost leak from the turbo outlet pipe/intercooler piping.
__________________
- 12' MK6 DSG, Cobb Stage 2/Stratified E30 E-tune |Raceland Downpipe/Resontator Delete | Custom Intake | GFB DV+| DSG |

-2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster 6MT |FBO+E85| BBS RS-GT | VF-engineering |
-2011 BMW 335i X-Drive |FBO+E85| MHD Stage 2+ E30|
WeekendWarriorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:18 AM   #4
Carlosfandango
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Carlosfandango's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 629
Could be low fuel pressure!

Check the high pressure fuel pump,
Low pressure fuel pump,
And fuel filter as it has a pressure regulator in it, (only sure fire way to know the filter is good is to change it).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:22 PM   #5
pppfrank
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk6 Steve View Post
It could be several things. My first guess would be the coil packs. They're known to go bad prematurely. Next check your intake piping as you may be sucking in unmetered air. Are you using a VCDS cable to check for your diagnosis?
Yeah probably. I'll check the coil packs. I don't have that cable... All I can do is do some maintenance myself.
pppfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:25 PM   #6
pppfrank
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarriorz View Post
Coils, Spark plugs, Boost leak? Usually when the car revs so freely with the blip of the throttle it's an air leak in the intake piping or boost leak from the turbo outlet pipe/intercooler piping.
Spark plugs was replaced 6 months ago. Iíll have it checked. BTW where can I find a guide to do some easy fix myself? Thanks
pppfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:26 PM   #7
pppfrank
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosfandango View Post
Could be low fuel pressure!

Check the high pressure fuel pump,
Low pressure fuel pump,
And fuel filter as it has a pressure regulator in it, (only sure fire way to know the filter is good is to change it).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I heard the fuel pump is expensive. Hope itís not the pump. Filter changed a year ago.
pppfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:42 PM   #8
FriggenT
Banned
 
Drives: 2013 Wolfsburg gti DSG
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,571
I'd check for boost leaks/air leaks first, you could have a blown off hose, the turbo outlet pipe is a notorious piece of complete and total SHIT.

Are there any mods done to the car at all? There's no tune I see, but anything at all mechanically?
FriggenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:58 AM   #9
pppfrank
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriggenT View Post
I'd check for boost leaks/air leaks first, you could have a blown off hose, the turbo outlet pipe is a notorious piece of complete and total SHIT.

Are there any mods done to the car at all? There's no tune I see, but anything at all mechanically?
No mods at all. might need to consider upgrade some parts.
And...how to check those parts. It feels like no where to start.
pppfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:53 AM   #10
FriggenT
Banned
 
Drives: 2013 Wolfsburg gti DSG
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppfrank View Post
No mods at all. might need to consider upgrade some parts.
And...how to check those parts. It feels like no where to start.
If it's stock, the green o-ring inside the top leaks quite often, check the rubber that goes to the throttle body and make sure it's not cracked, loose, and that the plastic pipe that it's connected to dfoesnt have a crack.

These cars are full of plastic parts, and eliminating the m imo is your best option, if you want a long life on the car.

You said they cleaned the engine right? It could be possible they didn't tighten something up enough, or left it out completely. Open the hood, listen for hissing sounds, get a soap and water bottle and start spraying around and if bubbles form, you have your leak. If the engine surges, or does anything else while you're spraying, you have a leak there. Listen to the exhaustfrom under the car (add plenty of support, not just the jack) if you have hissing there, it's an exhaust leak.

I don't think it would be the exhaust personally, but you never know. You have aa lot of miles on your stock coil packs, so they could definitely be an issue as was already mentioned. A set of red tops is 80 ish dollars iirc. They are very reliable, and a good investment. The pcv valve is also a common area of failure, it's 80-100 to replace and only about a 15 minute job DIY.

On another note, you might want to look at you DV and make sure you don't have the rev G version, which tears and is junk. That is also the cause of boost leaks. It's worth replacing as well if that's the case.
FriggenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:25 PM   #11
pppfrank
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriggenT View Post
If it's stock, the green o-ring inside the top leaks quite often, check the rubber that goes to the throttle body and make sure it's not cracked, loose, and that the plastic pipe that it's connected to dfoesnt have a crack.

These cars are full of plastic parts, and eliminating the m imo is your best option, if you want a long life on the car.

You said they cleaned the engine right? It could be possible they didn't tighten something up enough, or left it out completely. Open the hood, listen for hissing sounds, get a soap and water bottle and start spraying around and if bubbles form, you have your leak. If the engine surges, or does anything else while you're spraying, you have a leak there. Listen to the exhaustfrom under the car (add plenty of support, not just the jack) if you have hissing there, it's an exhaust leak.

I don't think it would be the exhaust personally, but you never know. You have aa lot of miles on your stock coil packs, so they could definitely be an issue as was already mentioned. A set of red tops is 80 ish dollars iirc. They are very reliable, and a good investment. The pcv valve is also a common area of failure, it's 80-100 to replace and only about a 15 minute job DIY.

On another note, you might want to look at you DV and make sure you don't have the rev G version, which tears and is junk. That is also the cause of boost leaks. It's worth replacing as well if that's the case.
Thanks for the explanation! I'm in Virginia.
pppfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:30 PM   #12
pppfrank
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 8
For update:

Installed 4 new redtop coil packs and 4 new spark plugs. Found very little solid oil on my old coils and spark plugs. What is the reason for this? I'd say it's better but might still have misfire(vibration) in cold start.

Ordered a Go Fast Bits T9351 dv. Try to place this and see what happens.

Found a post :

"
I have a 2011 GTI with 92k miles on it. I noticed the car idled rough on warmup only (fast idle) but I was not getting any CEL. I installed the APR Stage 2 tune (with 4 programs) and that's when I started getting the CEL on warmup only. The codes weren't consistent regarding which cylinders the misfires were occurring. After warmup if I cleared the codes they would not again reappear while I drive the car (only at the next time I warmed the car up).

I replaced the plugs and coils and the issue did not resolve (which I expected due to the misfires affecting all cylinders) . Also, the codes appeared irregardless of which program I ran (Stock, 91, 93).

I just cleaned the carbon from my valves and now everything is perfect. The only other variable is that in the process of cleaning my valves I also replaced my intake manifold (since replacements are readily available and not too expensive)....so it was either the carbon build up or the runner motor in the intake which was the issue.

"

It seems we have same issue here but I got my engine cleaned 6 months ago. And he cleaned the valves. What are these valves?

Thanks guys.
pppfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
engine, misfire, shaking, stalling

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.