GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 01-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
KanDyWyte
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: White 5-Door GTI MKVI
Stretched BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDW 2's?

So it's about that time to get some new rubber on my 19's and I have been doing some research; however, I can't seem to find the answer to my question. I would like to know if any of you guys are running this model of BFG tire on an 8.5" wide rim, stretched. I know thats a really specific population, but my concerns are these tires and their beefiness. I think with these I may need a little more stretch in the tire numbers than my current setup. I want subtle stretch (as shown), not that extreme stuff where i'd be cautios taking turns quick. Any insight on what tires you guys are running stretched and why you'd reccomend them would also help. I summed it up to these BFG's due to overall user rating, wear and appearance.

This is the closest thing I found: 18x9.5 on 255/35/18 but I have no clue how to gauge the conversion between the 9.5 w/255 tire vs. 8.5 w/235 tire

My current setup on Falken 452's: 225/35/19 on 19x8.5 42mm offset.

And incase anyone inquires, this is why I really don't want another set of Falken 452's... even if it's not the product that's faulty, i don't want to risk this pricey f* up again: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8788
Old 01-16-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
Phil W
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: Mkv
get nankangs lol
Phil W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:51 PM   #3
harelow
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: static stance
Nankangs are good if ur broke as fuck the tires wear quick and are super loud falk 512 are where its at.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:54 PM   #4
Phil W
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: Mkv
Okay definitely not true lol.
Phil W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:55 PM   #5
vbrad26

Drives: 2012 CSG 2 dr. 6 spd. GTI
nitto neogens
but there is really no stretching a a tire on a 19x8.5
smallest tire you can get is a 215/35 and thats not much stretch but would probably be close to what you are looking at on the subie
but check out www.tyrestretch.com and maybe that will help you out
Old 01-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #6
DRedman45
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: UG '10 4dr gti(sold)-E86 //M coupe
Send a message via AIM to DRedman45
for your stretch question here are your answers http://tyrestretch.com/

I would go for a 215/35

the G forces are super loud, but super sticky...they also wear quick...the sidewalls are pretty stiff and thats not great for stretching, but the mild stretch you want would be fine
Old 01-17-2012, 12:36 AM   #7
harelow

Drives: static stance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil W View Post
Okay definitely not true lol.
Ive owned two sets all were crap. They stretch yes one of the easiest tires but its cheap. Price and quality had a set that lasted 15000 miles they are shit. Get em if u want thats on you.

But back on topic i love the look of kdw2s ive seen em on a mkiv that had some stretch looked sick.

The g force sports wernt bad.

Last edited by harelow; 01-17-2012 at 12:42 AM.
harelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
KanDyWyte
FIA GT Newbie

Thanks guys! After reading multiple threads on www.stanceworks.com and www.tyrestretch.com, I've realized none of those stretch guys are running these BFG tires, so that must count for something.

I also think 215/35 is the route i'm taking from your recommendations and those on the stretch forums. From all the reading I think I was vicitim of the Falken "bubbling"...

So now i'm currently on two different tires:

Toyo Proxies 4

but these only come 225/35 so i may rule these out

and

Kumho Ecsta SPT

This Kumho setup is (215/35) EXACTLY the stretch I want. You guys hear good things about these?
Old 01-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
KanDyWyte
FIA GT Newbie

As far as nankangs, I want better quality in all honesty. Price isn't an issue in this purchase... so long as I don't have to do it again in a short period..like the falkens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRedman45 View Post
for your stretch question here are your answers http://tyrestretch.com/

I would go for a 215/35

the G forces are super loud, but super sticky...they also wear quick...the sidewalls are pretty stiff and thats not great for stretching, but the mild stretch you want would be fine
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, they look really good, and the sound I don't care about, ill turn up the stereo. Haha! If I got these the 215/35 would be the way im pretty sure. A guy on stanceworks had of list of tires that run large/true/small and these BFG's were "Large" - So we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harelow View Post
Ive owned two sets all were crap. They stretch yes one of the easiest tires but its cheap. Price and quality had a set that lasted 15000 miles they are shit. Get em if u want thats on you.

But back on topic i love the look of kdw2s ive seen em on a mkiv that had some stretch looked sick.

The g force sports wernt bad.
Yeah, I'm going to try to hit up a meet tonight after work and see what they're running if any to confirm this. I had NO CLUE 215/35 tires were so much cheaper than 225/35 until I started shopping that size!
Old 01-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #10
vbrad26

i had falken 215/35 fk452's on my 19x8.5's
(and 225/35's on my 19x9.5s)
and they were a good tire and i was very happy with them

and i had those kumhos on my rx8 but they definitely were not stretched but i liked them
Old 01-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #11
RSMark5
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 3.6 4mo, 9k Aero
Hate those proxy 4s. They have the weakest sidewall i've ever encountered. I'd never run them again. I'd also stay away from the KDW2s though personally. They're super loud, only mildly sticky (nothing like a star specs) and wear really fast. I mean like 10-12,000 miles. Theres not many choices out there in that size, but of the ones I've tried (which is a lot) I would say a 215/35/19 Dunlop DZ101 or the General Exclaim UHP (if you can still get your hands ont hem). Mild stretch like your asking for, nice rigid sidewalls for a good ride, good tread wear, and both are moderately good performers for the price.
RSMark5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #12
vbrad26

did you look at the neo-gen?
Old 01-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #13
RSMark5
Formula 5000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbrad26 View Post
Yeah, I've had a set of neogen's before. Nothing to write home about. Choppy, loud, and not a great performer. Neogens were designed with camber in mind though and do have the cool asymmetrical tread pattern, they ride pretty smooth because of the stiff sidewall and shoulder and have a decent tread life though.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #14
JewFro
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
How long did your Falken 452's last you? You hinted that you were unimpressed with their tread life.

Several of my friends swear by Falken 512 and 912's for longevity and good looking stretch. Have you looked into them? You can still get 512's from Discount Tire and the built in rim guard really adds a nice look to the stretch IMO.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #15
KanDyWyte
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSMark5 View Post
Hate those proxy 4s. They have the weakest sidewall i've ever encountered. I'd never run them again. I'd also stay away from the KDW2s though personally. They're super loud, only mildly sticky (nothing like a star specs) and wear really fast. I mean like 10-12,000 miles. Theres not many choices out there in that size, but of the ones I've tried (which is a lot) I would say a 215/35/19 Dunlop DZ101 or the General Exclaim UHP (if you can still get your hands ont hem). Mild stretch like your asking for, nice rigid sidewalls for a good ride, good tread wear, and both are moderately good performers for the price.
I was looking at the Dunlop's but there was smack talking about them on stanceworks and General Exclaim's looked like a cheap tire.

Quote:
Nah, I havent looked into those yet. I'll check them out tonight. I think I'm sold on the Kumho's since the image has the exact stretch I want (no surprises).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewFro View Post
How long did your Falken 452's last you? You hinted that you were unimpressed with their tread life.

Several of my friends swear by Falken 512 and 912's for longevity and good looking stretch. Have you looked into them? You can still get 512's from Discount Tire and the built in rim guard really adds a nice look to the stretch IMO.
My 452's still have 50% tread and I've put on approx 15k miles before falling victim to the "bubbling" issue. Left a bad taste in my mouth, so I'm not going back to Falken to burn my $$$.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #16
KanDyWyte
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Yeah, I've had a set of neogen's before. Nothing to write home about. Choppy, loud, and not a great performer. Neogens were designed with camber in mind though and do have the cool asymmetrical tread pattern, they ride pretty smooth because of the stiff sidewall and shoulder and have a decent tread life though.
They do look good... but from this review I'm set on the Kumho Ecsta's. I have yet to hear anything bad about them.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #17
RSMark5
Formula 5000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanDyWyte View Post
They do look good... but from this review I'm set on the Kumho Ecsta's. I have yet to hear anything bad about them.
Only thing bad about the Kumho's is that they can get a little loud towards the end of their life (but alot of tires do this) and are a bit on the softer side of compounds. Probably a 15,000 mile tire or so realistically with semi-regular abuse. if you know what i mean haha.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #18
vbrad26

well like i said i had them on an old car (not stretched at all) and i was happy with them
Old 01-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #19
KanDyWyte
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Only thing bad about the Kumho's is that they can get a little loud towards the end of their life (but alot of tires do this) and are a bit on the softer side of compounds. Probably a 15,000 mile tire or so realistically with semi-regular abuse. if you know what i mean haha.
I'm probably going to get the Kumho's only because I have a visual on the stretch I'm getting and won't be disappointed by too much or too little stretch (although I'm sure the guys at stanceworks would argue there's no such thing as too much stretch. Haha! Plus if they wear prematurely I'll some how get a "un-repairable" nail and file a claim on my road-hazard insurance, if YOU know what I mean!

Quote:
well like i said i had them on an old car (not stretched at all) and i was happy with them
Thanks to the input you guys gave me I've crossed off the BFG's, and I have summed it up to those 2 tires (Kumho's vs Neogen) which I think are both great choices! I don't expect a perfect tire, but I think these 2 are plenty good and won't "bubble" prematurely like the Falkens.

Thanks guys for the input!
Old 01-19-2012, 05:40 AM   #20
lowerthanzimmy
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: Bagged 11' GTI, 12' Beetle
what ever tire shop you go to, they are gunnna hate your guts for stretching KDW's...... they are a horrible tire to stretch. the sidewalls are like cement.
lowerthanzimmy is offline   Reply With Quote