GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RCD-510 + Bluetooth audio = mono sound...?

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
went into accessibility menu on iphone. moving the slider to the 'L' the sound goes from the radio. So i guess it only plays the right channel.
Setting it to mono sound seems to play the left channel though.

I am also sick of the damn thing starting the music on my iphone when i get into the car.

I hate how they just send these things out in cars half arsed and dont follow up in fixing obvious problems and giving people ways to update it themselves. Its like a token offering.
I bet the systems in ford and other cars get updates and new features. ah well.

McFuzz

Go Kart Champion
yeah - the whole auto-playback on the phone is pissin me off too and I am listening to audio on my SD card of all things! Oh well, what can you do...

Your car came with a 9W3 originally (or was wired from the factory to accept one). The 9W3 did not support A2DP stereo streaming or streaming for that matter, so therefore you are missing two wires from the harness under your seat to the back of the stereo. When the 9W7 unit was installed (possibly by the dealer or VWoA mandate since they are being sued over it) the harness was left untouched, and thus you only have one channel audio. There is no software fix. You must run two more wires for it to work.

I just recently built my own bluetooth harness from scratch so the part numbers you need are:

One: 000 979 009
One: 000 979 010

Cut the wires in half and make it so you have a 009 (plugs into green plug on head unit) ---------x(solder)---------- 010 (plugs into the 54pin connector under your seat. You need two of these wires.

On the 54 pin plug:
Left Channel:
+ is pin 8
- is pin 9

Right Channel:
+ is pin 4
- is pin 5

On the Green plug:
Left Channel:
+ is pin 11
- is pin 5

Right Channel:
+ is pin 12
- is pin 6

I listed both right AND left because I am not sure which channel you are missing. IIRC you should be missing the RIGHT channel.

PeteyPete

I'm an employee of Volkswagen in Germany and one of the perks is that you can drive the cars. So far I have driven a Tiguan (with a RNS 510) and currently a Touran (with a RCD 510). The sound from the BT connection in the Tiguan was amazingly good: clear, pristine sound where you could place all the instruments in the mix very well. With that radio I didn't even need the cable connection to the iPhone. Than I got the Touran with the RCD 510.
Today I'm driving home from work when Fleetwood Mac's Everywhere comes on. The coda has a sample which should be heard on the left and right speakers of your car. This didn't happen and than I also started to question whether it is mono. Selected a song by Jean Michel Jarre, Oxygene 5, which is a perfect check. And sure enough, only one channel was heard. Mind you, this is the same iPhone which is connected to the RCD510 which, until 2 weeks earlier, was connected to the RNS510 and provided clear sound. Hence, the problem is not in the iPhone, but it is in the radio and/or the bluetooth configuration in the car.
Maybe bigbadvoodooguru's advice is good, but I would bring the car to the VW dealer to do the modification if I would be owning it. Or buy myself the RNS510, it's a much nicer radio with a much clearer screen anyway and you have an integrated navigation.
Just my 2 cents! :)

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
Cool. Thanks.

Is this something we can demand the dealer to set right and fix?
Can we really insist they sort out the car to make sure it plays stereo bluetooth streaming?

thelostone

I am quite surprised and disappointed by this, I thought VW was big into noticing these types of details. I will take it up with my dealer and VW of America, but I expect I will have to fix it myself.

As for the auto-play, from some research that appears to be specific to Apple or the Bluetooth standard. I have had this happen in other vehicles, but never one channel on Bluetooth!!

ShrekSquatch

Ready to race!
I have a 3 week old 2012 GTI, and I have the same mono problem.... I have seen threads on VW Vortex about this, where the guy had a jetta with the same issue and VW swapped his head unit out with an RNS510 to fix it (it worked). I am going to be looking up as much info as possible on this, because I use BT audio almost 100% of the time...

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
No further info to look up.
It is wired for left and right. Not a wiring issue.
It is a software issue with the rcd 510. VW know about it (many many people have complained) but they will not issue updated software - some say the software cant be updated with this radio. There is apparently lawsuits regards it.
VW dealer will give you the run around too. Say they dont know about it. I had mine in, technician said confirm mono sound with his phone. Said tried in another car and was mono. Said tried another technicians phone and said that was in stereo. Said rang VW support and they said maybe was a compatibly issue with the phone. He said his is not compatible.

Don't know what phone he had or what they used to confirm stereo or mono.
However only one extra phone showed up on my car when I checked after - not two phones. Was SGH-1717 which I believe is a samsung galaxy note. Dont know if this was the phone that didnt work or that they say did work.

They say my iPhone 4 (5.1) may not be compatible. But they dont know it's an iPhone cos they didn't bother calling to ask and check. Useless.
My Sony Ericsson c905a has same problem. Both show A2DP compatible on myvw website.

I may just follow this up with VWoA instead just for the principle of it. Their lack of support for this radio is disgraceful.

On side note, VW dealer's investigation into headliner rattle around sunglasses holder response was "took sunglasses out of holder. Noise gone." I'm not gonna bother in future.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
To cut a long story short .... VWofA rang me last week and said they are working on a software fix upgrade for the rcd-510 but have no timeline when it will be available. Said to check with dealers to run your vin every now and then, or call customer care to check.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
Just got an update from VWofA

"..... the software update is expected to be released during the 36th week of 2012. That would be in the month of September.
As your dealership will be more aware of the availability I recommend contacting them during that time period."