GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > VW Golf R Forum

Old 01-02-2010, 08:19 AM   #1
JonnyG

Drives: Golf R32 DSG
Thumbs up EVO Golf R review

My EVO mag has just dropped through the letterbox this morning.

The Golf R is reviewed in the "Driven" section.

The good news is it get's a pretty good review - 4.5 stars out of 5

A few quotes below :-

"the Golf R feels sharper, angrier and a whole lot faster than the current GTI"

"Whereas the chunky R32 always fell victim to the law of diminishing returns, the Golf R proves that when executed well, more power can equal decisively more performance"

The same goes for the chassis. Experience suggests that switching a Golf from front wheel drive to all wheel drive delivers security at the expense of sparkle, yet the Golf R's 4Motion system seems to achieve the opposite. The steering response is cleaner and the general enthusiasm for corners more energetic than than the beautifully polished but overwhelmingly straight laced GTI"

"All in all then the Golf R is a yet another hugely impressive addition to the hot hatch Premier League........The Golf R has also got terrific pace and tractability, coupled to a memorable effervescent engine and a sport biased chassis that exudes confidence, composure and perhaps most importantly genuine enthusiasm. Golf R - same game, bigger balls."
JonnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
GTI2007

Drives: Golf 5 Plus TDI
Pretty cool. Now I really want to get myself a Golf R
GTI2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
JimmyT
Autocross Champion

Drives: MKVI GTI
hope VoA announces something soon....
JimmyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
Onassis
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: R
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI2007 View Post
Pretty cool. Now I really want to get myself a Golf R
Be honest.... You wanted a Golf-R long before this article came out
Onassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
GTI2007

Drives: Golf 5 Plus TDI
That's true. I wanted one since I heard the rumours of its specifications
GTI2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
bubuski
El Moderador

Drives: MK6 GTI 5-door TR
"the Golf R feels sharper, angrier and a whole lot faster than the current GTI"

VW did good onthis one.
bubuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:54 PM   #7
dstill
Rally Car Champion

Drives: Mk6 Golf 140 TDi SE
I wished i could afford one Hope you all have fun in them, i'll follow behind in my diesel, ha ha.
dstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:14 PM   #8
MonthOLDpickle
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 VW GTI
Isn't it gonna be the price of an Audi?
MonthOLDpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
JimmyT
Autocross Champion

Drives: MKVI GTI
the guesses are between 33K and 42K, but those are just guesses.
JimmyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:45 PM   #10
MonthOLDpickle

Just get an Audi imo lol
Old 01-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #11
TDR-380
Formula 2 Champion

Drives: 2.0 TDI, R
Man, I wish I had the cash to afford one of these. The local dealership has one on the showroom floor and one as a test drive car. I might look into it.

As for the comment about getting an Audi instead. I say naah! the styling is as old as the company itself and as anyone who's a fan of Top Gear knows, Audi's are for c*cks!
TDR-380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:03 PM   #12
Japan8
Ready to race!

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonthOLDpickle View Post
Just get an Audi imo lol
What audi is this? An A4 is bigger and definitely heavier with Quattro... and much slower with just the 2.0T (which you'd have to get at this price). An A3? Meh... even compared to the MkV GTI... the GTI was sharper and sportier... the Golf R will kill it. An A5 stripper... too slow, doesn't have a lot of the options available.
Japan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:30 PM   #13
MonthOLDpickle

You realize the Golf R is using Audi parts? I mean they are the same company. I mean If I am gonna spend over 34K bones might as well get the Audi over a VW.

And whoopie due Golf is faster cause its what..shorter? Pretty much same engine. Also fun to go fast..when you can't =p

Also note a non-sporty A3 has only 70 HP less than the Golf-R. 207 Torque. 3461 lbs. Now if they had a sport version of the A3 I am sure stock it will have more HP than a Golf-R.

Audi A4 59 HP less. 258 Torque. 3616 lbs. This is stock.

Than again if I was going Audi I would actually just get a nicer car model within Audi.

Note if the GTI weighs 2900 the golf-r will prob weigh around 3100.

Also note that Audi engines are more tuned stock than VW..this is common sense being what the two companies lean torwards.. 2011 Audi will have an increase.

Not trying to flame. Just noting that 32K+ for a car with less stock features is a..yeah.

2010 5 DR Deep Black GTI

Options: Bi-Xenons (AFS) / 18" Detroits / Autobahn Package (Leather + Sunroof) / DSG / Dynaudio
Old 01-06-2010, 11:21 PM   #14
Japan8
Ready to race!

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonthOLDpickle View Post
You realize the Golf R is using Audi parts? I mean they are the same company. I mean If I am gonna spend over 34K bones might as well get the Audi over a VW.

And whoopie due Golf is faster cause its what..shorter? Pretty much same engine. Also fun to go fast..when you can't =p

Also note a non-sporty A3 has only 70 HP less than the Golf-R. 207 Torque. 3461 lbs. Now if they had a sport version of the A3 I am sure stock it will have more HP than a Golf-R.

Audi A4 59 HP less. 258 Torque. 3616 lbs. This is stock.

Than again if I was going Audi I would actually just get a nicer car model within Audi.

Note if the GTI weighs 2900 the golf-r will prob weigh around 3100.

Also note that Audi engines are more tuned stock than VW..this is common sense being what the two companies lean torwards.. 2011 Audi will have an increase.

Not trying to flame. Just noting that 32K+ for a car with less stock features is a..yeah.
It's not the same engine at all. The only Audi with that motor in the US is the TTS... which costs a lot more and comes in DSG only. The stock A3 is not faster and handles worse than a GTI. There is no S3 in the US and there is not even a rumor of it coming AND if it did, it'd still cost as much as a TTS and come in DSG only.... because that's how VAG rolls.

Your argument about parts, blah, blah.. is just that... blah, blah, blah... especially considering how much parts and platform sharing that all automakers do these days. Have you ever spent the time actually pricing out an Audi? Those options ain't cheap... loaded up... there is no comparison.

70hp and AWD is a lot. 500lbs is a lot too. Shorter wheelbase matters too. It doesn't matter if you think so or not when it is backed by both simple physics and the performance numbers from many cars.

People don't buy a Evo or STI because they care of luxury first. They care about performance first. The Golf R is in the same camp, but offering a better balance of luxury and performance. You're making an apples to oranges comparison using the A4 or even the A5 (with the 2.0T it is basically stripped with very few options). The Audi that would compete on paper is the TTS... and the TTS is not just a little more on top of $32k+.

Not trying to flame. Just noting that your kung fu is weak.

Last edited by Japan8; 01-06-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Japan8 is offline   Reply With Quote