GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

USP Motorsport + Unitronic Stage 2

GTIpilot1

Ready to race!
I'm starting this thread because I've just placed my order for the DP and made arrangements to have my reflash done at Axis Motoring in Orlando.

It was quite a pain finding a downpipe that I wouldn't have to fabricate due to my CBFA-ness, but I've heard good things about USP (plus they're right down I-95 here in FL so if the DP is crap, I can go tell them in person :paddle: )

Needless to say, I'm super pumped and craving feedback from some of y'all who've already gone stage 2 sans fmic..

For those of you who will recommend I go out and snatch up a FMIC, I won't be doing an upgraded intercooler anytime soon because among other reasons, I'm shelling out the greater part of $37,000/year for school [thanks for the help Uncle Sam]

Anyway, videos will be added in the coming days comparing acceleration (stock, 1+, 2) starring my piss-poor Windows Movie Maker skills.

Sales@Unitronic

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Hi, our Stage 2 with only a DP, stock Intake and FMIC produced 287HP & 341TQ on the DTS engine Dyno !
looking forward to hear your feedback !!!

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Good luck on this project and keep us posted!

trd420

Go Kart Champion
Nice you will love stage 2:thumbsup: and you should be ok with no upgraded intercooler i have had my UNI stage 2 with stock intercooler and its been A OK

GTIpilot1

Ready to race!
Okay! Just got the software update and downpipe all squared away. I've driven the car about 60 miles (one driving cycle) and to be honest, it's not much different from a roll or on the highway.... perhaps the software hasn't fully adapted yet.

From a stop (1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear successively) is where the difference is felt between Uni 1+ and Uni 2... again, maybe it'll get better after a few more driving cycles.

Wastegate rattle is much more pronounced now too... not sure why, but it's a non-issue.

The exhaust sound is a little bit annoying even with a stock cat-back, but I've had DD cars that I've tuned before and it's always something you get used to after a few days.

Overall, I don't regret my decision to go Stage 2. The price with DP and software upgrade was still under $500 and it was all out of my tax refund, so no worries.

Anyway, I'll post back up here in a day or two and let y'all know how/if it improves.
In the meantime, could anyone who has had stage 1 and then gone stage 2 (any tuning company) weigh in on what they think as far as the butt-dyno figures I've posted etc.?

zhijjawi10

Go Kart Champion
Okay! Just got the software update and downpipe all squared away. I've driven the car about 60 miles (one driving cycle) and to be honest, it's not much different from a roll or on the highway.... perhaps the software hasn't fully adapted yet.

From a stop (1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear successively) is where the difference is felt between Uni 1+ and Uni 2... again, maybe it'll get better after a few more driving cycles.

Wastegate rattle is much more pronounced now too... not sure why, but it's a non-issue.

The exhaust sound is a little bit annoying even with a stock cat-back, but I've had DD cars that I've tuned before and it's always something you get used to after a few days.

Overall, I don't regret my decision to go Stage 2. The price with DP and software upgrade was still under $500 and it was all out of my tax refund, so no worries.

Anyway, I'll post back up here in a day or two and let y'all know how/if it improves.
In the meantime, could anyone who has had stage 1 and then gone stage 2 (any tuning company) weigh in on what they think as far as the butt-dyno figures I've posted etc.?

When I went stage 2, I noticed a huge butt dyno difference. It pulled harder, while also pulling longer. Just stronger/longer power band imo.

GTIpilot1

Ready to race!
So the car has improved a bit since my last post.. Although I certainly feel a broader powerband paired with improved throttle response and the turbo coming on a lot quicker, I still can't say I'm overly impressed with the performance difference at highway speed in 5th/6th. Maybe it's all in my head, but I seem to remember the low-end power being slightly better with the stock DP and Stage 1+...

That said, thrashing the car from a slow roll or a dead-stop is a completely different feeling. It reaches highway speed exactly as I expected it would and just driving it around country roads is a fantastic feeling. The turbo is just so responsive when you mash the throttle coming out of a corner.

For those on the fence of stage 2, I'd say go for it. No way you can lose.

I will, however, say that I am considering welding on a resonator or hi-flow cat. The open DP paired up to the stock CB sounds miserable at times (catless smell isn't too bad, but it sticks to my clothes), yet it's got an intoxicating noise when the revs get beyond 3.5-4k at WOT.

Video showing stock/1+/2 acceleration differences is in the works and should be finished once I'm done being sick.

carsfeverguy

Go Kart Champion
Re-gap your spark plugs to 0.28.
I went form 1+ UNI to stage 2 UNI. I love It!!!
The power up top is good, but keep in mind that 1+ from uni has more top end to begin with.
Give it time to adapt. Roughly 500 kms.
I haven't tried my summers yet. Can't wait.

I have a catted bb downpipe and love the sound.

rs999

Go Kart Champion
GTIpilot, what does the DP stench smell like? Some on this forum say sulfur, my new RAI catted DP smells like burnt gas. :(

carsfeverguy

Go Kart Champion
The power up top is good, but keep in mind that 1+ from uni has more top end to begin with.
Sorry, I was referring when comparing to a stage 1 from APR...:yikes:

As for the re-gap, I talked directly to Uni support about it. I was getting some random misfires... they advised to do this: 0.28 gap. Not only it has improved my idle - smoother now, but the car has more power and more consistent per but dyno.

P

plac

wastegate rattle is louder becuase you dont have a big cat muffling it anymore.

you'll probably end up adding a resonator to the downpipe, its not gonna get any quieter. ha.. read later that you are adding one.. open downpipes on stock catbacks sound raspy like shit. but there will always be guys saying it sounds great. an aftermarket catback changes all that. the stock catback isnt meant to have that much air through it.

i agree the difference is slight, but its noticable mostly on the freeway for me. 60mph is really the magic speed. punching it about 60mph on freeway is very different with a downpipe.

the stage 2 uni ENGINE dyno translates to 243whp/289wtq. still seems like stronger wheel numbers than most of the other tuners dynos.

trd420

Go Kart Champion
Sorry, I was referring when comparing to a stage 1 from APR...:yikes:

As for the re-gap, I talked directly to Uni support about it. I was getting some random misfires... they advised to do this: 0.28 gap. Not only it has improved my idle - smoother now, but the car has more power and more consistent per but dyno.

Nice I'm UNI stage 2 too, I'm going to re-gap them to 0.28 thanks!! :w00t: