GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MFSW Died! Anyone have this problem before?

gti_guy1

Ready to race!
So I'm making a right out of a gas station this morning and as the steering wheel is going back to center I hear a crunching sound followed by a ding and the air bag light appearing on the dash. Next thing I noticed was that my whole steering wheel was dead, horn, MF controls etc... lol the car doesn't even have 6000km on it :mad:

gti_guy1

Ready to race!
Clock spring died

:thumbsup: Thanks Bro. Just got off the phone with the dealer, should be fixed in a couple of hours. Stupid spring!!!

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
It's not really a spring, basically all the electronics in the wheel, horn, buttons, lights in the buttons, airbag, ect all have wiring. Since you turn the steering wheel back and forth constantly there has to be something to not break the wiring. So it all plugs into a clock spring. Inside the clock spring the wiring is turned into what looks like tape, inch wide, flat, white, with electrical strips in it. The tape is coiled up like a roll of tape except very loose. One end is connected to the steering column, the other to the wheel, when you turn back and forth it could up tighter or it uncoils. If you heard a crunch it was most likely the tape looking wiring getting caught and broken, hence the reason the whole wheel is dead now.

P

plac

It's not really a spring, basically all the electronics in the wheel, horn, buttons, lights in the buttons, airbag, ect all have wiring. Since you turn the steering wheel back and forth constantly there has to be something to not break the wiring. So it all plugs into a clock spring. Inside the clock spring the wiring is turned into what looks like tape, inch wide, flat, white, with electrical strips in it. The tape is coiled up like a roll of tape except very loose. One end is connected to the steering column, the other to the wheel, when you turn back and forth it could up tighter or it uncoils. If you heard a crunch it was most likely the tape looking wiring getting caught and broken, hence the reason the whole wheel is dead now.

dang, excellent info.

PoorHumble

Ready to race!
This is why I love this forum. So much useful info.

BigRobSA

Ready to race!
He knows so much because of the color of his car.

And he's a VW mechanic, that helps, too...but it's mostly the Shadow Blue reason.

;)

jacbo3003

dead clockspring

I'm in the process of repairing a crash damaged GTI (both front airbags deployed), so based on the above if my steering wheel is operating properly I don't need to replace the clockspring?

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
You will have to replace the seat belts, the air bag units, and the dash. Anything else leave it alone unless it's throwing an air bag fault. Last I checked you did not have to replace the airbag module, you can reset crash data 3 times before you have to replace it.

iamgap

Ready to race!
You will have to replace the seat belts, the air bag units, and the dash. Anything else leave it alone unless it's throwing an air bag fault. Last I checked you did not have to replace the airbag module, you can reset crash data 3 times before you have to replace it.

I can understand the Dash and Airbags, but why the seat belts?

gap

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Here's how a front end collision works. You crash and the car instantly sees it via crash sensors and the air bag module goes to work determining how to handle it, if it's an air bag worthy impact by the time you realize you crashed the car has done a bunch of stuff. As soon it gets a crash signal it unlocks all the door, turns the interior lights on, turns the hazard lights on, kills the engine, and disables the fuel pump. The air bag module deciedes if and how hard to set the airbags off, they are dual stage air bags meaning they can apply hard and fast or harder and faster. The drivers side it knows an adult is driving, and if the seat belt is buckled and how hard of a crash it was and deciedes how to set off the bag based on those things. The front seats have a pyrotechnic device in the reel, if it's buckled when you crash the seat belt sets off, it will retract about 8" and lock into place, the purpose of this is to pin your ass to that seat so A) the airbags can deploy as designed and not kill you and B) you stay firmly in your seat. As soon as the belt retracts. The pattern of the threads in the seat belt are designed to slowly stretch to help absorb the impact as you get pushed forward. The passenger side works the same except there are 2 more things it looks at, a belt force sensor and a PODs unit. The belt force sensor knows if there is any force pulling on the seat belt buckle, if there is the car knows the passenger is not sitting properly in there seat and may adjust airbag deployment strategy as it sees fit. The pods unit monitors the weight of the passenger, if it's a heavy adult you will get a harder airbag deployment than if it sees a 75 lb kid.

The seat belt deploys a pyrotechnic device and stretches out, they are a one time use item.

Most people don't pay attention but these cars are very intelligent when it comes to safety, it has earned it's extremely high crash test ratings.