GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 02-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
MKCSG
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 CSG DSG Sun-Nav
H&R touring cup-kit MK6 GTI?

As the title states, i have done some research on these and found pretty good reviews but dated back.Anyone on here have some current reviews,pics or input they could share before i make my decision.I have H&R suspension in my cobra and i am very happy with it.

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
jareebz
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI
I have it on mine. Lowers about an inch and half I'd say. Rides pretty close to stock, just more stable going over freeway expansion joints and stuff like that. If I could do it again I would go with the Koni coils though. I'd like to be just a bit lower.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
J-Cooz
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 2010 Golf Sportline
I plan on going with this as well. I don't want a huge drop or have to mess with coils. They seem to have good reviews.
J-Cooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:48 AM   #4
DarkCloak
Banned

Drives: 2010 VW GTI Ice Silver
I have it. Very well composed yet tight. Shocks are perfectly dampened to the spring. The lowering is good (About 2 fingers, and I have small hands) of a gap. I have never encountered a single ramp, pothole, or speed bump that challenges the car. Perfect height.
DarkCloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
hatzo1
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
I actually just installed this kit on mine,Weds. Haven't really gotten to ride in it much but feels nice so far and will settle a bit more. I actually got rid of my ST coilovers to put these on, I do alot of miles on the car and these are a bit less aggressive yet still handle well. Going to throw some better swaybars on the car and be done with it.
hatzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:53 PM   #6
MKCSG
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 CSG DSG Sun-Nav
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzo1 View Post
I actually just installed this kit on mine,Weds. Haven't really gotten to ride in it much but feels nice so far and will settle a bit more. I actually got rid of my ST coilovers to put these on, I do alot of miles on the car and these are a bit less aggressive yet still handle well. Going to throw some better swaybars on the car and be done with it.
Great to here any clearance issues?, happen to have any pictures?
Old 02-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
hatzo1
Autocross Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKCSG View Post
Great to here any clearance issues?, happen to have any pictures?
No clearance issues at all. It's definatley raised up from my ST's. I haven't measured it yet, I'm waiting for it to settle a bit. I personally love the ride now. I liked the look that the ST's gave, but I like the ride on the H&R's so much more. Once I get the swaybars on the car it should be just right. Then it will be up to the mountains again.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:26 AM   #8
Aries Pope
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI Autobahn DSG 4dr Black
Quote:
No clearance issues at all. It's definatley raised up from my ST's. I haven't measured it yet, I'm waiting for it to settle a bit. I personally love the ride now. I liked the look that the ST's gave, but I like the ride on the H&R's so much more. Once I get the swaybars on the car it should be just right. Then it will be up to the mountains again.

Looks great! Ideal drop on the DSG i think. I was thinking I'd go with this kit a while back, but I have been considering the DG springs since I don't want to go too low and have to deal with the bump and dip in my driveway everyday if I am too low.

You went from coils to this, so clearly it's smoother. Anyone compare this to stock? Another plus for the DG is close to stock ride, and my wife will kill me if I make the ride any " sportier " since she's often a passenger, so I think coils are out of the picture for me.
> R20 LED Tails | S2T Paddles | AWE Boost | SuperbrightLEDs | PIAA Fogs
> My Build Thread
Aries Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #9
Skeptix
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 2DR CW
Seems like hardly a difference between this and DG springs.

AWE+GIAC+GHL+VF ENGINEERING+WORK+GS+OEM+SOUTHBEND
Skeptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
hatzo1
Autocross Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries Pope View Post
Looks great! Ideal drop on the DSG i think. I was thinking I'd go with this kit a while back, but I have been considering the DG springs since I don't want to go too low and have to deal with the bump and dip in my driveway everyday if I am too low.

You went from coils to this, so clearly it's smoother. Anyone compare this to stock? Another plus for the DG is close to stock ride, and my wife will kill me if I make the ride any " sportier " since she's often a passenger, so I think coils are out of the picture for me.
Yes I went from coils to this kit. It is definatley smoother than the coils but firmer than the stock ride. Since the picture was taken the car has settled alttile bit more than 1/8" also. The first time my wife rode in it with the cup kit she immediatley noticed the difference. The car is much smoother in the corners and I like the way it transitions in and out of them. Like I said a rear swaybar should bring the car to exactly where I want it to be.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #11
bigpun
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG Autobahn Pkg
Quote:
Yes I went from coils to this kit. It is definatley smoother than the coils but firmer than the stock ride. Since the picture was taken the car has settled alttile bit more than 1/8" also. The first time my wife rode in it with the cup kit she immediatley noticed the difference. The car is much smoother in the corners and I like the way it transitions in and out of them. Like I said a rear swaybar should bring the car to exactly where I want it to be.
if you don't mind can you please post some pics after it is has settled? do you think if put on 18x8.5 wheels i would get some rubbing issue?
bigpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #12
eppy
Oval Champion

Drives: 11 GTI, 01 RSV4, 04 GXR750, F-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpun View Post
if you don't mind can you please post some pics after it is has settled? do you think if put on 18x8.5 wheels i would get some rubbing issue?
I have the cup-kit on my car now with 18x8.5 wheels, no ribbing issues at all. I went with stock 225/40/18 tires and due to the stretch on the tires now I have more gap. Just bought Koni coilovers so my cup kit will be for sale shortly.
eppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #13
bigpun
Touring Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by eppy View Post
I have the cup-kit on my car now with 18x8.5 wheels, no ribbing issues at all. I went with stock 225/40/18 tires and due to the stretch on the tires now I have more gap. Just bought Koni coilovers so my cup kit will be for sale shortly.
so how long have you had the cup-kit for me? if you don't mind can you please post a pic of the problem you mentioned tires stretching. Plus, why are you going for coilover kit?
Old 03-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #14
eppy
Oval Champion

Quote:
so how long have you had the cup-kit for me? if you don't mind can you please post a pic of the problem you mentioned tires stretching. Plus, why are you going for coilover kit?
Maybe 500 miles tops. I went from a 7.5" wheel with a 225/40 tire to a 8.5" wheel with the same tire, this stretches the tire making the profile smaller. With the stock wheels the cup kit looked perfect but with the new wheels I am not happy with the gap so I'm going with the coilovers.

The ride was amazing with the cup kit just not happy with the look after the new wheels.

Shit cell picture
Old 03-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #15
bigpun
Touring Car Champion

Quote:
Maybe 500 miles tops. I went from a 7.5" wheel with a 225/40 tire to a 8.5" wheel with the same tire, this stretches the tire making the profile smaller. With the stock wheels the cup kit looked perfect but with the new wheels I am not happy with the gap so I'm going with the coilovers.

The ride was amazing with the cup kit just not happy with the look after the new wheels.

Shit cell picture
thanks for the info.

if you don't mind can you please post a side pic of your car?
Old 03-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #16
eppy
Oval Champion

Quote:
thanks for the info.

if you don't mind can you please post a side pic of your car?
No problem, I'll post one later today.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #17
eppy
Oval Champion

Here is another crap cell picture, only camera I have here...
Old 03-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #18
Simmsled
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: my wife crazy.
Quote:
Here is another crap cell picture, only camera I have here...
Everything you've got going on here looks proper.
Nice color/wheel combo/stance/fogs.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #19
eppy
Oval Champion

Thank you

I came from a 20th AE MKIV that was dumped on KW V2's, trying not to get carried away on this one just need it a little lower.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #20
Simmsled
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: my wife crazy.
Quote:
Thank you

I came from a 20th AE MKIV that was dumped on KW V2's, trying not to get carried away on this one just need it a little lower.
You MK4 people... always wanting lower. lol

20ths are nice.
Only one question... how do you like the MK6 seats, coming from the lovely Recaros?

Oh, and how does your new suspension ride?