GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tiguan = GTI

Tecni

Ready to race!
Is the engine in the 2.0 Tiguan the EXACT same as the GTI?

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Yes.

Tiggy is basically just a taller GTI with a bit more cargo space. It is, however, heavier and has more drivetrain loss in the AWD version so it will not be as fast as a GTI or handle as well...

EJveeDub

In one of the old brochure for the Tiguan, It stated it was the "GTI of SUVs"
I suppose you can Chip it to go fast and lower it for better handling.

Fiveflat

Ready to race!
If only they'd offer the TDI in it... My wife would be out of the TDI Jetta in a heartbeat!

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
I test drove one with the slush box (not DSG) and was surprisingly unimpressed with the power, didn't like the slush box at all, and I didn't like the SUV ride either. They aren't bad for what they are, but don't have the expectation that you'll chip it and have it feel like a GTI.

rs999

Go Kart Champion
I test drove one with the slush box (not DSG) and was surprisingly unimpressed with the power, didn't like the slush box at all, and I didn't like the SUV ride either. They aren't bad for what they are, but don't have the expectation that you'll chip it and have it feel like a GTI.

I was about to ask if this is a way to get a Golf R DSG but thanks for the heads up. I'm guessing they are using the stock VW automatic found in Jettas and Golfs.

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
In one of the old brochure for the Tiguan, It stated it was the "GTI of SUVs"
I suppose you can Chip it to go fast and lower it for better handling.

you're better off with one of these if you want a fast suv.

emk6

Ready to race!
^ i like very much and i want

poprocks01

Ready to race!
you're better off with one of these if you want a fast suv.

Would be cool if they actually brought an STI Forester over here. Unfortunately, the one we get is a pig, even with the Turbo. The 4-speed auto it had when i drove it just ruins that thing. Otherwise spacious interior and beautiful sunroof.

EJveeDub

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
On of our local SA guys. KO4 upgrade and exhaust.

Tecni

Ready to race!
Yeah but sometimes they'll say its the same motor and then when you look closely, the bolt holes are in different places and the mounts won't be exactly the same...

...that's what I'm trying to find out.

I found a good price on a Tiguan engine and I'm thinking of building it but I don't wanna get a surprise later.