GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Alignment Specs?

kram125

I just got my alignment, rotation, and balance done today from Firestone Complete Auto care as part of my "lifetime alignment" that I purchased about a year ago (Seemed like a good deal). I had never been to this shop before and they didn't seem like they knew what they were doing. They came in to ask me where the wheel lock key was. Then while it was on the alignment rack the guy kept messing with the ignition for some reason (I could see the DRLs going on and off for quite a while like he couldn't figure out how to turn them off with the car running) They got it done and everything feels fine but the alignment print out confuses me. It doesn't look like they hardly did anything but then again I don't know what to look for. I did quite a bit of searching and couldn't find the recommended specs for stock. Does this look like an ok job and is there anywhere to find the official specs to compare with? Thanks!

P.S. Sorry for the sideways pic. I took it verticaly but couldn't get it to attach that way.

Attachments

• Alignment.jpg
    Alignment.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 10,474

kpex76

alignment

Your front right caster and camber is off by quite a bit.
Also, your thrust angle is off which makes me believe your car is not tracking straight. Is your steering wheel off-centered?
To fix the camber and caster issue you might have to get the subframe shifted to balance them out.

A.Bursell

Ready to race!
I'm not a pro, though I do understand a little about the alignment specs. But what I do know is that nothing should be RED on your current printout. If it is, I would think they are not done and need to fix it.

Of course, my alignment was done by a VAG shop and they did shift the subframe to get everything in spec.

Adam

GTIProject

Ready to race!
I'm a professional tech, and use a Hunter machine (VAS tool number) on a daily basis. Looking at the alignment sheet, it seems the only thing they did set was front toe.

Golfs/A3's etc have a funky front camber setup in which it can only be equalized, or shifted one side to the other. Your front camber can be adjusted to within spec if they shifted the subframe.

Rear camber looks unchanged, and it looks like they messed with rear toe, but did not get it in spec (???).

People, do NOT take your car to a Firestone/Sullivan/etc for "free alignments". Most shops do not have people trained to adjust and work on the running gear of these vehicles. I took a 2-day course audi/VW runs with Hunter all about alignment and adjustment.

I will also tell you right now that the PR code for the suspension specs is wrongly entered into the computer. Standard suspension (even though it says GTI/R32) is for the normal 2.5/TDI suspension, GTI's are lower and thus need the correct info entered.

kram125

Your front right caster and camber is off by quite a bit.
Also, your thrust angle is off which makes me believe your car is not tracking straight. Is your steering wheel off-centered?
To fix the camber and caster issue you might have to get the subframe shifted to balance them out.

No, everything seems to be normal.

I'm a professional tech, and use a Hunter machine (VAS tool number) on a daily basis. Looking at the alignment sheet, it seems the only thing they did set was front toe.

Golfs/A3's etc have a funky front camber setup in which it can only be equalized, or shifted one side to the other. Your front camber can be adjusted to within spec if they shifted the subframe.

Rear camber looks unchanged, and it looks like they messed with rear toe, but did not get it in spec (???).

People, do NOT take your car to a Firestone/Sullivan/etc for "free alignments". Most shops do not have people trained to adjust and work on the running gear of these vehicles. I took a 2-day course audi/VW runs with Hunter all about alignment and adjustment.

I will also tell you right now that the PR code for the suspension specs is wrongly entered into the computer. Standard suspension (even though it says GTI/R32) is for the normal 2.5/TDI suspension, GTI's are lower and thus need the correct info entered.

Wow, I was afraid of that. Guess I'll have to have the dealer take care of it at my 40,000 mile service. (so expensive!) Will the dealer shift the subframe if they do it? Would it even be worth it to take it back to Firestone and say it isn't good enough?

GTIProject

Ready to race!
A dealer where you are paying for an alignment WILL and should shift the subframe. I honestly would not bring it back to Firestone as they had one chance to earn your business and they obviously don't care. Let the professionals handle it.

We charge $199 for a four wheel alignment using VAG SW and a VAG-specific hunter alignment machine/rack. It's worth every penny.

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
A dealer where you are paying for an alignment WILL and should shift the subframe. I honestly would not bring it back to Firestone as they had one chance to earn your business and they obviously don't care. Let the professionals handle it.

We charge $199 for a four wheel alignment using VAG SW and a VAG-specific hunter alignment machine/rack. It's worth every penny.

how often would you recommend it?

GTIProject

Ready to race!
In a snow belt state, where there are tons of pot holes and shitty roads, I'd personally recommend once a year, or once every two if you swap tires for seasons.

In a nice-road state - once every two years if fine unless you make changes to your suspension. I'd suggest more than once a year if you track the car regularly. I've seen toe change over a year span in my personal car - but I drive ~80 miles a day.

A.Bursell

Ready to race!

Do you normally align lowered Golfs to GTI specs, or do you just stick with whatever model it actually is? Curious...

Adam

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Not a good job indeed !! :eek: Is your car lowered?

Do you normally align lowered Golfs to GTI specs, or do you just stick with whatever model it actually is? Curious...

On mildly lowered car VW specs are fine. If you want/need to have more camber
(if you run camber plates or TT arms) you'll also need more toe in.

Looking at the alignment sheet, it seems the only thing they did set was front toe.

agree :thumbsup:

The subframe needs to be moved - no doubt about it. ;)

It seem they messed up with the toe and camber excenters on rear.
Toe is at the inner side of the lower control arms, camber excenter on the top arm is hard to see.

I wouldn't go back to them. :rolleyes:

valj

Ready to race!
I had the same issue with several alignment shops: some of the indicators stayed in the red zone. And they just said: we did the maximum we can do. They never even mentioned the possibility of shifting the subframe.

Should I go to a VW dealership to fix this as my steering wheel is persistently off center

A.Bursell

Ready to race!
On mildly lowered car VW specs are fine. If you want/need to have more camber
(if you run camber plates or TT arms) you'll also need more toe in.

Thanks but I think maybe I didn't ask right, or I'm not reading your reply right.

I have a Golf TDI. It's on DG springs-- pretty mild lowering (about 1.2"). It was re-aligned to Golf TDI specs (along with frame shift to bring it back into spec). Any potential benefit in tire wear or even performance by aligning to GTI specs?

Thanks,

Adam

dragon69185

Go Kart Champion
Just had mines done yesterday by a local shop that specializes in Euros (and owner and couple employees are good friends). For reference: on Solo Werks Coilovers with 24" FTG fronts and 24-1/4" FTG rears on 18x8 ET45 with 205/40s all around on a Golf.

Hope this helps to give you a reference.

Attachments

• Asian Alignment.jpg
    Asian Alignment.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 11,093

ina12K04gti

Ready to race!
Excellent information. I'm on H&R Ultra Lows 24" ftg front 24 1/4 ftg rear. I had my alignment done when I replaced my suspension but my tires are still wearing on the inside of the fronts. I don't have a problem paying $199 for an alignment but would I be able to get it into specs being that it's this low ?

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
Guess I'll have to have the dealer take care of it at my 40,000 mile service. (so expensive!) [/QUOTE]

My dealer charged 79.99 for an alignment. Thought that was pretty reasonable....