GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 01-16-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
.5Lambo
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2010 Golf Modded!
NLS Short Shifter Review...

So today i installed my NLS short shifter. What a PIA it was to get the original shifter off. I also changed my shifter bracket bushings. I noticed while putting re-aligning the shifter my linkage is not completely in and when it is i got to push down to get into first. Its fine now after messing with it a bit but not sure if thats how its supposed to be.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp9ggefOjAE

Any how. The shifts feel great. Feels like a totally different transmission. Very crisp shifts and the throw is reduced by night and day. It feels very close to a mustang GT with a short shifter. It almost clicks in place. These are the bushings i replaced. Later down the road i will get the 42DD bushings. For now this is it.
http://shop.verdictmotorsports.com/p...&categoryId=13
.5Lambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
jgs5607
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2 Dr 2010 GTI Manual - United Gray
That is one mod I really think would help make driving the car more enjoyable. I will have to look up where to buy the shifter itself.

The bushing will take slop out; does it add a lot of vibration that you can notice?
jgs5607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:22 PM   #3
.5Lambo
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2010 Golf Modded!
I fixed the little issue i was having and its like butter now. Feels amazing. Shifting from 1-2 is no prob.

Bushings added to the shifting mechanism will not affect vibration once so ever.

You have the GTI i think there is a different brand who makes the shifter for it similar to the NLS. Nuespeed i think...
.5Lambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #4
VWghost26
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 Golf 2.5
where did you order the nls shifter? I can't seem to track down a site. I was looking at the vf engineering and looking at forge but I can't find our car on the forge site. But the nls looks nicely made
VWghost26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #5
DaWoLF

Drives: 2011 CW GTi
Send a message via AIM to DaWoLF
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWghost26 View Post
where did you order the nls shifter? I can't seem to track down a site. I was looking at the vf engineering and looking at forge but I can't find our car on the forge site. But the nls looks nicely made
ebay, their 100 bucks plus shipping but its not for GTI's. Its only for 5 speed trannys. Sucks for us GTI owners but what can ya do lol But i think your ok.
DaWoLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:56 PM   #6
VWghost26

Definately my next mod. As long as it has close to stock smoothness. I'd rather not sacrifice driveability for having a shorter throw.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:54 AM   #7
the_abuse
Touring Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWoLF View Post
ebay, their 100 bucks plus shipping but its not for GTI's. Its only for 5 speed trannys. Sucks for us GTI owners but what can ya do lol But i think your ok.
heres what your looking for

http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Detail?no=274

mk6 gti 6 speed short shifter
the_abuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:40 AM   #8
VWghost26

I hear that the dieselgeek shifters are really nice quality and reduce the side to side too. But you lose the stock shifting smoothness and that it takes some getting used to to work it properly. I don't want any more effort in driving. I think any mod should make things smoother working but alot of people like the notchier / race car feel.

So where do you purchase the 42dd bushings at?
Old 08-10-2011, 09:42 AM   #9
fredf
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
Quote:
I hear that the dieselgeek shifters are really nice quality and reduce the side to side too. But you lose the stock shifting smoothness and that it takes some getting used to to work it properly. I don't want any more effort in driving. I think any mod should make things smoother working but alot of people like the notchier / race car feel.

So where do you purchase the 42dd bushings at?
I see you are in Canada. If you are near them, H2Sport in Brampton carries them. Or you can mail order them from the source:
http://www.42draftdesigns.com/
Old 08-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #10
DaWoLF

Drives: 2011 CW GTi
Send a message via AIM to DaWoLF
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_abuse View Post
heres what your looking for

http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Detail?no=274

mk6 gti 6 speed short shifter
Oh i know about dieselgeek lol thanks though i was just talking about price wise with the 2 lol 100 over 200 sounds better but i will most likely end up with DG because it does look very well made.
DaWoLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #11
VWghost26

Just ordered mine today.......lets hope shipping to Canada is quick. Because my Carbonio Intake is taking forever.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:29 PM   #12
VWghost26

Quote:
Just ordered mine today.......lets hope shipping to Canada is quick. Because my Carbonio Intake is taking forever.
Are there any torque settings to follow when installing this short shifter. After the first one getting lost in the mail I just received my replacement one and i'm eager to get this on tomorrow night. Any tips before install?
Old 09-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #13
Hilfloskind
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI CSG 4d/6s
17ft/lbs for the shifter torque, IIRC.
Grambles' Unicorn Gym Theory
My Build Thread
Hilfloskind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:09 PM   #14
VWghost26