GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Mods (interior & exterior modifications)

Old 03-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #15
jbcritch
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2011 CSG MK6 GTI
Any confirmation by anyone on parts numbers? This is one I want to do ASAP.

MY MOD THREAD: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12631
jbcritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #16
crashdb
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: Soundaktor!!
Me too. I can't always feel the detent on the non-lit switch. I'd rather the bigger knob, but I'll take what I can get.
crashdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #17
Jason3d
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 2010 GTI
In for the p/n! Anyone have ETKA?
Jason3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #18
jbcritch
Formula 5000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashdb View Post
Me too. I can't always feel the detent on the non-lit switch. I'd rather the bigger knob, but I'll take what I can get.
I'm kinda thinking the smaller knob will help me see the diagrams on the passenger side of the car. The big knob hides the stuff to my right.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #19
TurtleJames
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
Ordered the Anthracite Pontentiometer for a 2007 GTI. It's scheduled to arrive today. I'll try to install it this weekend, and give you guys an update.
2011 GTI Autobahn DSG | APR K04 | APR IC | Unitronic DSG Stage 2| Carbonio CAI | Neuspeed TOP | UR DP | Magnaflow CBE | P3 Boost Gauge |Unibrace UB / XB |OEM+ Interior / Exterior : Golf R LED Tails | RNS-510 | VW Rear View Camera | Dash Cubby | Under Seat Drawers | Euro Cup Holder | etc. | Q.T. McWhiskers Laser Defense System | VCDS and OEM RVC Services in Northern NJ |
TurtleJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #20
Jason3d
Formula 3000 Driver

Whoa, $72? In that case think I can live with what I've got until I am near a junkyard someday and can pick one up cheap..
Old 03-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #21
91Z28
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 CW GTI
Maybe Keffer has a better deal on the switch ?
91Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #22
crashdb
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: Soundaktor!!
$67 there.
crashdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #23
irishpride
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 81 ITB'd bunny, 2011 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleJames View Post
Ordered the Anthracite Pontentiometer for a 2007 GTI. It's scheduled to arrive today. I'll try to install it this weekend, and give you guys an update.
when it comes, if it doesn't have a red and black wire coming out of the back of it then send it back because they updated the part... just giving you a heads up. hopefully it comes in and it's exactly what you need, plus this info will open more doors for people.. thanks for looking it up.
irishpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:09 AM   #24
TurtleJames
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
Got this put in after work. Took less than 10 minutes. I'd say 30 minutes if you've never took apart the sunroof panel before. Just follow the OP's pics. You don't have to disconnect any of the panel wires, only the switch wire. It'll save you a few minutes. Just be careful.

The part I ordered was correct and a perfect color match with the existing switch. Just some things to note:

For the following, "older" refers to the 2007 replacement part.

Good:

1) The older switch has a firmer close position click. Its also easier to feel the position due to the shape of the knob. Makes closing and opening it a lot more intuitive than the one that comes with our cars.

2) The lighted switch completes the panel a lot better.

3) Installation was a breeze since its a perfect match to our panel. The led wire socket is also preexisting. Just make sure you push it in all the way.

4) Anthracite is a perfect match to the existing switch and other panel switches.

Bad:

1) Expensive.

2) The click points on the older switch do not match the newer one. This means that every 3 clicks on the older switch equals one click on the newer one. Hardly any practical implication for every day use unless you have OCD.

Some photos:

Existing switch on the left. Note the led switch has the wires coming out.

My panel is a mess with the V1 and auto dimming mirror wiring, so I just left it plugged in.

2011 GTI Autobahn DSG | APR K04 | APR IC | Unitronic DSG Stage 2| Carbonio CAI | Neuspeed TOP | UR DP | Magnaflow CBE | P3 Boost Gauge |Unibrace UB / XB |OEM+ Interior / Exterior : Golf R LED Tails | RNS-510 | VW Rear View Camera | Dash Cubby | Under Seat Drawers | Euro Cup Holder | etc. | Q.T. McWhiskers Laser Defense System | VCDS and OEM RVC Services in Northern NJ |
TurtleJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:30 AM   #25
Jason3d
Formula 3000 Driver

Looks good. Would certainly prefer this style of knob, but probably won't pay that much to do it. Maybe I will lurk around the Mk5 forum and wait for someone who's parting out a totalled car.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #26
irishpride
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 81 ITB'd bunny, 2011 GTI
Quote:
Just follow the OP's pics. You don't have to disconnect any of the panel wires
yeah, I only did becuase I thought I was swapping panels

but thanks for the correct part number, looks like the only difference is "A" for the mk5 style and "C" for ours..

Great info, thanks for your contribution
irishpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:34 AM   #27
eman006
Ready to race!

Drives: 2012 GTI Autobahn
Quote:
Got this put in after work. Took less than 10 minutes. I'd say 30 minutes if you've never took apart the sunroof panel before. Just follow the OP's pics. You don't have to disconnect any of the panel wires, only the switch wire. It'll save you a few minutes. Just be careful.

The part I ordered was correct and a perfect color match with the existing switch. Just some things to note:

For the following, "older" refers to the 2007 replacement part.

TurtleJames,
Looks like the back covers with the circuit boards attached to them are the same. Did you try switching the "older" switch's back with the round switch's back. I do believe that the LED on the "older" switch is on the circuit board, so if they are interchangeable, then you can get the LED light on the round switch since the white plastic on the round is opaque. However, would need to check to see if the "older" backing would affect how the roof opens with each click of the round switch.
When you have the time, would you be able to please verify this? Or anyone else?

Thanks.
eman006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #28
jbcritch
Formula 5000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman006 View Post
TurtleJames,
Looks like the back covers with the circuit boards attached to them are the same. Did you try switching the "older" switch's back with the round switch's back.
Great question!