GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Mods (interior & exterior modifications)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #21
91Z28
Rally Car Newbie
 
91Z28's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CW GTI
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northglenn CO
Posts: 267
Maybe Keffer has a better deal on the switch ?
91Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #22
crashdb
Formula 5000 Driver
 
crashdb's Avatar
 
Drives: Soundaktor!!
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 1,946
$67 there.
crashdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #23
irishpride
Go Kart Newbie
 
Drives: 81 ITB'd bunny, 2011 GTI
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: KY
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleJames View Post
Ordered the Anthracite Pontentiometer for a 2007 GTI. It's scheduled to arrive today. I'll try to install it this weekend, and give you guys an update.
when it comes, if it doesn't have a red and black wire coming out of the back of it then send it back because they updated the part... just giving you a heads up. hopefully it comes in and it's exactly what you need, plus this info will open more doors for people.. thanks for looking it up.
irishpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:09 PM   #24
TurtleJames
FIA GT Champion
 
TurtleJames's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 GTI
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,149
Got this put in after work. Took less than 10 minutes. I'd say 30 minutes if you've never took apart the sunroof panel before. Just follow the OP's pics. You don't have to disconnect any of the panel wires, only the switch wire. It'll save you a few minutes. Just be careful.

The part I ordered was correct and a perfect color match with the existing switch. Just some things to note:

For the following, "older" refers to the 2007 replacement part.

Good:

1) The older switch has a firmer close position click. Its also easier to feel the position due to the shape of the knob. Makes closing and opening it a lot more intuitive than the one that comes with our cars.

2) The lighted switch completes the panel a lot better.

3) Installation was a breeze since its a perfect match to our panel. The led wire socket is also preexisting. Just make sure you push it in all the way.

4) Anthracite is a perfect match to the existing switch and other panel switches.

Bad:

1) Expensive.

2) The click points on the older switch do not match the newer one. This means that every 3 clicks on the older switch equals one click on the newer one. Hardly any practical implication for every day use unless you have OCD.

Some photos:






Existing switch on the left. Note the led switch has the wires coming out.




My panel is a mess with the V1 and auto dimming mirror wiring, so I just left it plugged in.











__________________
2011 GTI Autobahn DSG | APR K04 | APR IC | Unitronic DSG Stage 2| Carbonio CAI | Neuspeed TOP | UR DP | Magnaflow CBE | P3 Boost Gauge |Unibrace UB / XB |OEM+ Interior / Exterior : Golf R LED Tails | RNS-510 | VW Rear View Camera | Dash Cubby | Under Seat Drawers | Euro Cup Holder | etc. | Q.T. McWhiskers Laser Defense System | VCDS and OEM RVC Services in Northern NJ |
TurtleJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:30 PM   #25
Jason3d
Formula 3000 Driver
 
Jason3d's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 GTI
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,497
Looks good. Would certainly prefer this style of knob, but probably won't pay that much to do it. Maybe I will lurk around the Mk5 forum and wait for someone who's parting out a totalled car.
Jason3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #26
irishpride
Go Kart Newbie
 
Drives: 81 ITB'd bunny, 2011 GTI
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: KY
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleJames View Post
Just follow the OP's pics. You don't have to disconnect any of the panel wires
yeah, I only did becuase I thought I was swapping panels


but thanks for the correct part number, looks like the only difference is "A" for the mk5 style and "C" for ours..

Great info, thanks for your contribution
irishpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:34 AM   #27
eman006
Ready to race!
 
Drives: 2012 GTI Autobahn
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleJames View Post
Got this put in after work. Took less than 10 minutes. I'd say 30 minutes if you've never took apart the sunroof panel before. Just follow the OP's pics. You don't have to disconnect any of the panel wires, only the switch wire. It'll save you a few minutes. Just be careful.

The part I ordered was correct and a perfect color match with the existing switch. Just some things to note:

For the following, "older" refers to the 2007 replacement part.

TurtleJames,
Looks like the back covers with the circuit boards attached to them are the same. Did you try switching the "older" switch's back with the round switch's back. I do believe that the LED on the "older" switch is on the circuit board, so if they are interchangeable, then you can get the LED light on the round switch since the white plastic on the round is opaque. However, would need to check to see if the "older" backing would affect how the roof opens with each click of the round switch.
When you have the time, would you be able to please verify this? Or anyone else?

Thanks.
eman006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:47 AM   #28
jbcritch
Formula 5000 Champion
 
jbcritch's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 CSG MK6 GTI
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman006 View Post
TurtleJames,
Looks like the back covers with the circuit boards attached to them are the same. Did you try switching the "older" switch's back with the round switch's back.
Great question!
__________________
2011 MKVI GTI CSG Autobahn

MY MOD THREAD: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12631
jbcritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #29
xHeartcoreboyx
Formula 1 Driver
 
xHeartcoreboyx's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 CW 2DR GTI DSG
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Qatar
Posts: 9,075
Any word on that tiguan one that looks like the mk6 knob with the light in it?
__________________
| APR K04 ROW v3.1 93oct | APR CAI | APR FMIC | Ultimate Racing DP | INA Oil Cooler | Neuspeed TOP&TBP | DV+ | R8 coils & NGK plugs | Bilstein B14 Coilovers | SuperPro ALK | Stoptech Rotors & Pads | Yoko AD08-R Tires | Build thread |

xHeartcoreboyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #30
zVp
Formula 5000 Champion
 
zVp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Black GTI (DSG)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: GTA, Canada
Posts: 2,602
It sucks the markings for the sunroof positions don't light up. Do they light up in other models (that might fit ours)?

I'd really like to have it so the markings light up as well as the mk6 knobs (I don't really like the mk5 knob).

Thanks for the DIY though! Nice, informative and lots of pictures
__________________
2012 DEEP BLACK PEARL GTI
DSG | APR Stage 1 | DriverGear Springs
zVp's Car Journal
zVp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #31
Gti For Me
FIA GT Champion
 
Gti For Me's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 GTI APR K04 V.3.1
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: 19720
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by zVp View Post
It sucks the markings for the sunroof positions don't light up. Do they light up in other models (that might fit ours)?

I'd really like to have it so the markings light up as well as the mk6 knobs (I don't really like the mk5 knob).

Thanks for the DIY though! Nice, informative and lots of pictures
What like this

Sorry about the crappy photos

Last edited by Gti For Me; 04-14-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Gti For Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #32
jbcritch
Formula 5000 Champion
 
jbcritch's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 CSG MK6 GTI
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti For Me View Post
What like this

Sorry about the crappy photos
So how'd you do it???
__________________
2011 MKVI GTI CSG Autobahn

MY MOD THREAD: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12631
jbcritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #33
Gti For Me
FIA GT Champion
 
Gti For Me's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 GTI APR K04 V.3.1
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: 19720
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcritch View Post
So how'd you do it???
I replaced the light panel and kept the MK6 sunroof switch.


The light panel only came in the 2006 gti vehicals,only down side to this is that the center trim piece is charcoal gray and no other color is available for that model year.It looks pretty close to black but you can tell the differents in color.You can use your black trim that you remove first.

This looks alot better then just the knob replacement.
Gti For Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #34
zVp
Formula 5000 Champion
 
zVp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Black GTI (DSG)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: GTA, Canada
Posts: 2,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti For Me View Post
What like this

Sorry about the crappy photos
That looks pretty cool! Can you get us some clearer pics?
__________________
2012 DEEP BLACK PEARL GTI
DSG | APR Stage 1 | DriverGear Springs
zVp's Car Journal
zVp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #35
Vancity2Constantinople
Banned
 
Drives: OO------OO
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Is Unknown
Posts: 11,788
lol.. running out of modding ideas i see.. does the oem switch bother you people that much??? try having a white fukin interior on a black car with half of it being black... yea. i dont get it why the gti gets the roof black and the golf gets it some retarded beige color... i wish i was in europe and i would have changed it to suede.. too bad we got airbags everywhere. damn NA safety..
Vancity2Constantinople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:28 PM   #36
icee
Oval Newbie
 
Drives: 2011 CSG GTI
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleJames View Post
2) The click points on the older switch do not match the newer one. This means that every 3 clicks on the older switch equals one click on the newer one. Hardly any practical implication for every day use unless you have OCD.
Does this mean you get two clicks that don't adjust the roof at all? Or does the glass move in finer gradations?
icee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:52 AM   #37
eman006
Ready to race!
 
Drives: 2012 GTI Autobahn
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti For Me View Post
I replaced the light panel and kept the MK6 sunroof switch.


The light panel only came in the 2006 gti vehicals,only down side to this is that the center trim piece is charcoal gray and no other color is available for that model year.It looks pretty close to black but you can tell the differents in color.You can use your black trim that you remove first.

This looks alot better then just the knob replacement.
Gti For Me,
First off, thanks for sharing.
So the light panel seems to be in 2 parts that are attached - the actual black panel / trim that we see when installed and then the white plastic "harness" that has all the circuit boards and bulbs attached to the black panel / trim. Did you actually detach the white harness from the old 2006 light panel and attach to your current panel? Just thinking that if the white harness has all the lights and wires, then the LEDs that light up the sunroof pictures on the black panel / trim would be mounted on there also. If you did not do this, did you check to see if it would work? Also, are the sunroof symbols / dots on the newer panel opaque or painted on? If the latter, then switching the white harnesses would be moot.
Thanks.
eman006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:54 AM   #38
Gti For Me
FIA GT Champion
 
Gti For Me's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 GTI APR K04 V.3.1
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: 19720
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by zVp View Post
That looks pretty cool! Can you get us some clearer pics?
I tried but my camera is a piece of shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman006 View Post
Gti For Me,
First off, thanks for sharing.
So the light panel seems to be in 2 parts that are attached - the actual black panel / trim that we see when installed and then the white plastic "harness" that has all the circuit boards and bulbs attached to the black panel / trim. Did you actually detach the white harness from the old 2006 light panel and attach to your current panel? Just thinking that if the white harness has all the lights and wires, then the LEDs that light up the sunroof pictures on the black panel / trim would be mounted on there also. If you did not do this, did you check to see if it would work? Also, are the sunroof symbols / dots on the newer panel opaque or painted on? If the latter, then switching the white harnesses would be moot.
Thanks.
The light panel is a 1 piece design,you can not remove anything.The center trim is a opaque design as our original is painted and will not work I TRIED.If you look at my fat finger you can see that they extended the circuit board with 2 extra led lights.Here a thread on the light panel.http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...er-illuminated

Last edited by Gti For Me; 04-14-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Gti For Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:32 AM   #39
jbcritch
Formula 5000 Champion
 
jbcritch's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 CSG MK6 GTI
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti For Me View Post
I tried but my camera is a piece of shit

The light panel is a 1 piece design,you can not remove anything.The center trim is a opaque design as our original is painted and will not work I TRIED.If you look at my fat finger you can see that they extended the circuit board with 2 extra led lights.Here a thread on the light panel.http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...er-illuminated
We need a DIY for this too! Two great mods to clear up this dang missing part! But
__________________
2011 MKVI GTI CSG Autobahn

MY MOD THREAD: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12631
jbcritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #40
eman006
Ready to race!
 
Drives: 2012 GTI Autobahn
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti For Me View Post
I tried but my camera is a piece of shit

The light panel is a 1 piece design,you can not remove anything.The center trim is a opaque design as our original is painted and will not work I TRIED.If you look at my fat finger you can see that they extended the circuit board with 2 extra led lights.Here a thread on the light panel.http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...er-illuminated
Thanks!
When you put in the round switch in to the panel, does it function like it did before the change (i.e. each click opens to the proper distance)?
Also, did you try switching the backs of the round switch and the one that came with the 2006 light panel to make the round switch dot light up also?
I asked the same question to TurtleJames in a prior post, but was wondering if you tried.
eman006 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.