GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 01-26-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
joema
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2015 Mk 7 GTI, APR Stage 1
Disable horn beep when locking

My '10 GTI beeps the horn when locking the doors with the remote.

There is no apparent way to disable this using the MFD configuration. There's no menu option, unless I somehow missed it. I looked under all the categories.

The beep isn't a quiet little chirp but is pretty loud. Imagine if you lived in an apartment complex and everyone drove VWs. At night there'd be a constant beeping as people arrive and lock their cars.

- Why is the car delivered with the beep enabled?

- Why is turning the lock confirmation beep on or off NOT a configurable option via the MFD?

- Is VAG-COM the only way to configure this? IF so , why would that be required for such a common activity?
joema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
Aitch
Ready to race!

Drives: 2007 Mazda 3 GS
I believe that VAG-COM is the only way to configure this, from what I've read. Just be happy that it is modifiable, many other manufacturers don't support nearly so many options through something as simple as the MFD, and often aren't easily changed by a consumer with other tools either!
Aitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
Bill Carson
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2010 CW GTi
What is VAG-COM?
Bill Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
fokker
Oval Newbie

Drives: VW
^ It is a software based tool you can use to modify certain aspects of your car. You connect your car to a computer using a cable and then run the software.

For example, with the software you can disable/enable the daytime running lights or disable/enable the windows go up and down with the remote, or turn off the seat belt warning beep, etc, etc. There is literally a ton of options.

Buy here: http://www.ross-tech.com/
fokker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:31 PM   #5
Bill Carson
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2010 CW GTi
Do you have to buy the software from Ross-Tech, or can you go to a shop to have that done?
Bill Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:54 PM   #6
fokker
Oval Newbie

Drives: VW
The only option (that I know of) besides using VAG-COM is to go to your dealer.

Depending on the dealer and what you're asking they may: turn you away, charge you, or do it for free. For example, they'll probably disable the horn when locking for free, but I doubt any dealer would turn off the seatbelt warning light.
fokker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #7
Stein357
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: VAG 2.0T
A lot of performance shops have VAG-COM as well. I had Futrell Autowerks disable my horn as well as a few other modifications with VAG-COM.
Stein357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:08 AM   #8
Super Steve
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 5dr MKVI GTI
is there a way to change it to a smaller sound or make the sound a nicer electronic beep instead?
Super Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:24 AM   #9
TDR-380
Formula 2 Champion

Drives: 2.0 TDI, R
All this talk about the horn sounding when locking with the remote, and my question is: Do only the North American model Mrk VI's come with this feature? Mine's European and there is no beep at all.
TDR-380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:46 AM   #10
koolgreen
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 CSG 6mt detroits
In regard to the vag com.
I presume there is a cable that goes from usb to the car connection?
Perhaps with an adaptor or converter in line.
How much is the software plus the cable?
koolgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:47 AM   #11
bubuski
El Moderador

Drives: MK6 GTI 5-door TR
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI110 View Post
All this talk about the horn sounding when locking with the remote, and my question is: Do only the North American model Mrk VI's come with this feature? Mine's European and there is no beep at all.
Yes, the horn beep when locking is on North American cars. It is not as loud as the main horn for driving though as it is not continuous.
bubuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #12
bubuski
El Moderador

Drives: MK6 GTI 5-door TR
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolgreen View Post
In regard to the vag com.
I presume there is a cable that goes from usb to the car connection?
Perhaps with an adaptor or converter in line.
How much is the software plus the cable?
The software is free to download. The cable will cost you between US$249-349 depending on the version you want. The license is built into the Ross-tech cables so can be easily moved from one laptop to another. This is what you want to buy.
Links for Cables and prices are here. The Micro-CAN (USB) is the cheapest option which supports most newer VAG cars including the Mk6.

However, Ross-tech sells the software only with a license for fee of $99, for those who have an interface cable. The license is not transferable and they will not provide hardware support.

Also, there are cheap(<$50) interface cable made in china sold on ebay. I DO NOT recommend this as I have read enough horror stories of blown usb ports on laptops casued by these fake cables. The last thing you want is the cable burning the vehicle interface or port on your new car..
bubuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:32 PM   #13
neilpalmer400
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2010 Golf GTI
How to disable according to VW's erWin Online system

I've been arguing with VW Canada (dealer & head office) for over 2 months now about this stupid alarm beep on the Golf MkVI. Apparently only Canada & the US get this stupid and annoying (and noise bye-law breaking in the middle of the night - my neighbour is complaining and if I'm charged under the noise bye-law I WILL sue VW Canada) beep from the horn when the alarm is activated. It seems in North America VW likes to cater to their blind customers who can't see the lights flash to confirm the alarm is armed.

Anyway, what really annoys me is they claim it can't be disabled and it's not a programmable feature. This is wrong on so many levels:

1) Obviously it can be disabled, the same cars from the same factory sold anywhere else in the world other than North America don't have this stupid horn beep on alarm activation.

2) If VAG-Com can disable it then obviously it's a programmable feature, and to claim VW's own diagnostic tools can't disable it is, to put it mildly, an obvious lie.

3) I did what the dealer and VW Canada should have done and looked it up myself, on VW's own erWin Online system, which lists step by step instructions on how to disable the "acoustic feedback when locking/unlocking" feature. This is direct from erWin Onlline:

Adapting acoustic feedback when locking/unlocking
– Connect vehicle diagnostic tester.
– Select “Guided fault finding” mode in vehicle diagnostic tester.
– Use “GoTo” button, select “Functions/component” then menu options in succession:
* Body
* Electrical system
* 01 - On Board Diagnostic capable systems
* Onboard supply control unit
* Functions
* Adapting acoustic feedback when locking
AND
* Adapting acoustic feedback when unlocking
neilpalmer400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:09 PM   #14
saucer
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 Golf TDI
^ yeah your dealership either has no idea what they're talking about (which is quite common) or is flat-out lying to you (which is actually more common).