GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #29
RacingManiac
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: Bye MK6, Hello MK7 PP GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
Well, I know the UK cars are spec'd at 207 HP, vs 200 HP here.

Do you have any links to these standards, or are you just a blowhard?
Internet, I believe you can use that....most of these test standard are public domain information....and no one has obligation to search it for you....

EPA has a emission testing lab in Ann Arbor also, you might ask there? lol....
Old 04-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #30
fnord
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI 6MT Sunroof/Nav CSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.0t_convert View Post
Somewhere in your statement is the answer.

You didn't give enough information in the initial statement.

US EPA vs UK ECE-15 are two different test cycles and further in the UK fuel economy is show as distance travelled per unit of measurement vs unit of measurement spent to travel a mile in the USA. Sounds like nitpicking but it makes a different in the numbers.

Using my last car for for example: Honda CR-Z. Virtually the same in both countries.
UK: 6.1/4.4 l/100 km
US: 7.6/6.4 l/100 km

Same car. Different test cycles.
Thanks for an actual answer. After converting, the difference of 31 vs 40 hwy is still very large, and I find it difficult to believe that I could do 120km/h (the extra-urban speed for ECE testing) for a tank and get 40 mpg.

Edit: 120 is the top speed. The average is 70 or 39 mph. Blah.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #31
herbert6368
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 Golf GTI 3drs
You do not want a UK spec GTI, it is RHD
Old 04-10-2012, 08:46 PM   #32
fnord
Go Kart Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
Internet, I believe you can use that....most of these test standard are public domain information....and no one has obligation to search it for you....

EPA has a emission testing lab in Ann Arbor also, you might ask there? lol....
Go look it up would have been a more useful answer than I've gotten from the fucktards with 'hurrr, imperial gallons' and 'buy a prius.'
Old 04-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #33
Twentyonepsi
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 500 WHP MKV GTI, 50 WHP MKI Cabby
Quote:
Go look it up would have been a more useful answer than I've gotten from the fucktards with 'hurrr, imperial gallons' and 'buy a prius.'
Or you could just do your own research and avoid sounding like more of a child with every post.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #34
fnord
Go Kart Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twentyonepsi View Post
Or you could just do your own research and avoid sounding like more of a child with every post.

Why is Ohio filled with useless assholes like you? Is it the water?
Old 04-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #35
RacingManiac
Formula 3000 Champion

Do you think if you get a Canadian spec car you will get 23/35 MPG instead of 21/31 that we get? Because thats what the Canadian car is rated to as per Environment Canada. Same reason why different driver will have different MPG. Different test procedure will result in different measure also. Its not just speed, there can be engine loading condition, test loop contents....etc

Heck, Civic is rated 39MPG Highway in US, in Canada its rated 47MPG(5 l/100km)....
Old 04-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #36
fnord
Go Kart Newbie

Quote:
Do you think if you get a Canadian spec car you will get 23/35 MPG instead of 21/31 that we get? Because thats what the Canadian car is rated to as per Environment Canada. Same reason why different driver will have different MPG. Different test procedure will result in different measure also. Its not just speed, there can be engine loading condition, test loop contents....etc

Heck, Civic is rated 39MPG Highway in US, in Canada its rated 47MPG(5 l/100km)....
Suffice it to say that I found it incomprehensible that the US government would do something right for once.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #37
canuckcharlie
Oval Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI
Europe uses different testing cycles
Old 04-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #38
Twentyonepsi

Quote:
Why is Ohio filled with useless assholes like you? Is it the water?
Because we're smarter? Where's all the name calling for the Michigan residents who disagree with you?

Quote:
Suffice it to say that I found it incomprehensible that the US government would do something right for once.
Where you fail is in the realization that the testing standards are different. You're obviously not open to anyone's opinion but yours. You have a bright future.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #39
RacingManiac
Formula 3000 Champion

They change standard over time also to adapt. The whole hybrid deal screwed up the testing procedure also. I think Canadians are also considering revising the test procedure to be more reflective to real world condition, as people are noticing more discrepancy between the government rating to real world mileage. Personally the MPG rating is only useful as a comparison measure as you can compare directly between 2 cars under same test standard. But that doesn't mean though you will get the same number as they do. Although EPA number is pretty much what I get with my car at the moment...
Old 04-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #40
fnord
Go Kart Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twentyonepsi View Post
Because we're smarter?

Where you fail is in the realization that the testing standards are different. You're obviously not open to anyone's opinion but yours. You have a bright future.
No, you're an asshole, asshole. I help people in other forums with topics in which I have knowledge, and I don't do it like a complete cunt like you. Go fuck yourself.

I now see that the European cycle is quite different from the US standard. A simple answer of 'look at the differences in the testing cycles' would have sufficed. Instead, you opted for the course of being a complete knobgobbling shitfuck, and that, along with the 'hurrr imperial gallons' was completely useless.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #41
fnord
Go Kart Newbie

Quote:
They change standard over time also to adapt. The whole hybrid deal screwed up the testing procedure also. I think Canadians are also considering revising the test procedure to be more reflective to real world condition, as people are noticing more discrepancy between the government rating to real world mileage. Personally the MPG rating is only useful as a comparison measure as you can compare directly between 2 cars under same test standard. But that doesn't mean though you will get the same number as they do. Although EPA number is pretty much what I get with my car at the moment...
I've pretty much gotten very close to EPA numbers with my last vehicles. I expect the GTI to live up to them as well as soon as it warms up and the motor is broken in and winter gas goes away. I just found it difficult to believe that the Europeans, which have pretty strict consumer protection laws, much stricter than the US, would allow such ridiculously flawed numbers, especially in Germany itself.

Considering that people with tunes regularly report seeing a bump in MPG along with the bump in HP, I had to wonder if that might have something to do with it as well, as our cars have less HP than in the EU.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #42
Twentyonepsi

Quote:
No, you're an asshole, asshole. I help people in other forums with topics in which I have knowledge, and I don't do it like a complete cunt like you. Go fuck yourself.

I now see that the European cycle is quite different from the US standard. A simple answer of 'look at the differences in the testing cycles' would have sufficed. Instead, you opted for the course of being a complete knobgobbling shitfuck, and that, along with the 'hurrr imperial gallons' was completely useless.
I didn't mention imperial gallons in a single post here. I did however, mention the difference in testing cycles very very early in this thread. Thanks again for your constructive input.

Closed Thread