GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

View Poll Results: which transmission?
DSG 191 38.20%
6 speed 261 52.20%
obligatory 3rd option - its your car pick 48 9.60%
Voters: 500. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2010, 10:52 AM   #29
joema
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2015 Mk 7 GTI, APR Stage 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MkVi_Ian View Post
...driving stick makes you a better driver and more aware too. i dont think anyone can argue with that...
If you've never driven a stick, learning that skill might improve your driving a bit.

However the OP has driven a stick for many years -- he's mastered that skill.

After that point, driving a stick doesn't make you better. If it did some F1 drivers would use a stick and blow by their paddle-shifting opponents, empowered by the vast additional skills than only a manual transmission could give them.

This obviously doesn't happen. The highest performance cars on earth use paddle-shifted automated manual transmissions, similar to the DSG. The drivers are the best in the world. If using a manual transmission made them better, they'd use it. They don't.
joema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:47 AM   #30
subacpw
Oval Newbie

Drives: MKVI GTI DSG
well im about to clean out my old baby to make way for the new. its a tough bitter sweet day. the WRX has seen me threw much. highschool, the first part of college, learning to drive. ive never had an accident in it.

I do agree driving a manual makes you a better driver, but ive driven it for 6 years. theres nothing more i can learn.

as far as not being a "man" or getting a "sissy" car. if you really wanted the best performing GTI it would have been a DSG that transmission makes the car quicker (idc wat numbers say) when it comes down to it everyone can drive the DSG quicker in a straight line and faster around a track.

I might miss not having a manual i might regret it on some days. But on my normal drives i know im going to be happy with the DSG.

If it was not a dual clutch there would be no way in hell i would get it. if i was looking at another WRX ther auto is a POS. even bmw (except new 335is) there auto is still "wimpy" auto. the DSG is the new tech its, as said before, where all high end performance cars are going.
Ferrari 458 no manual is that a "sissy" car i think not.
subacpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:54 AM   #31
bigshoulders
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekliptix View Post
I've driven manuals all my life and love them, but this car is shared with my wife who only drives auto.
My girlfriend can't drive a stick, and has no desire to learn.
That is one reason I ordered a MT.
I've put almost 223,000 miles in a manual Jetta TDI, and only had to replace the clutch just a year ago. Try getting that kind of maintenance-free service out of any DSG or Auto!
bigshoulders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:03 PM   #32
AntGTIMKVI
Ready to race!

Drives: 2010 Candy White GTI
I went with the MT for personal preference, but the DSG is a very good alternative. I don't care what the traffic is like I've never been happy with an automatic. Yes...the DSG is an automatic. I don't care how quick it shifts. I'm sure you're not going to be driving every day in sport mode and racing it. With that said....I sprained my left ankle yesterday playing basketball (I'm getting old) and now I can't drive my new GTI. DSG would have come in handy but I still wouldn't change.
AntGTIMKVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:05 PM   #33
MkVi_Ian
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Deep Blk. Metallic MkVI GTI 2dr 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgs5607 View Post
Hey, quit picking on us old guys, I am almost 60 and I prefer the manual
oops, haha no offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiVoT View Post
mocking those of us who never had that kind of thing with our cars is immature. if you just tell us how good it is, that's mature...
youre taking this manual vs. dsg thing awefully personal

Quote:
Originally Posted by joema View Post
If you've never driven a stick, learning that skill might improve your driving a bit.

However the OP has driven a stick for many years -- he's mastered that skill.

After that point, driving a stick doesn't make you better. If it did some F1 drivers would use a stick and blow by their paddle-shifting opponents, empowered by the vast additional skills than only a manual transmission could give them.

This obviously doesn't happen. The highest performance cars on earth use paddle-shifted automated manual transmissions, similar to the DSG. The drivers are the best in the world. If using a manual transmission made them better, they'd use it. They don't.
i wasnt talking about racing skills. i was talking about daily driving skills. like being alert of whats around you and what gear your in. etc.
MkVi_Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #34
TONY
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: NINJA MKVI GTI
honestly manual is more fun , but dsg is so much better in other ways . example say well in newyork theres always traffic specially i get off work during rush hour and i work in the city on the highway if i was driving manual my left ankle would be broken by the time i got home . but on the real side manual sounds better and is more fun but dsg u can not really say theres anything wrong with it . anyways its up to you ur gonna love the gti whatever u choose
- [ APR STAGE II+ ] [ APR TURBO-BACK EXHAUST ] [ CARBONIO INTAKE STAGE I & II ] - - [ APR 2.0 TSI INTERCOOLER ] [ FORGE BOV ADAPTER ] [ H&R SUPERSPORTS ] - - [ 30 % TINTS ] [ APR FRONT/REAR SWAY BARS ] [ ALPHARDS ] -
TONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:48 PM   #35
joema
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2015 Mk 7 GTI, APR Stage 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MkVi_Ian View Post
...i wasnt talking about racing skills. i was talking about daily driving skills. like being alert of whats around you and what gear your in. etc.
The OP was *already* skilled in using a manual transmission, and had many years experience using that.

There's no basis for saying the transmission type he *subsequently* drives will make him a better or worse driver.
joema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:16 PM   #36
volsfan0911
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2010 CW 2 door GTI
It's your car and your money, get what you want! I laugh at all these threads - for me personally, it's a manual. When I drove a DSG versus a manual Mk 5 GTI it was no contest for me. The DSG was faster, smoother and just incredibly impressive with how it worked. It also bored the hell out of me in 30 seconds flat and I thought the manual was 1,000 X more fun. Guess which one I chose for my Mk 6? And I'm 45 with a bad left knee (literally an old partially torn lateral meniscus from playing lacrosse) driving in some of the funnest traffic in the US (Baltimore, DC area). Plus, the stick in the GTI is just so easy and smooth - great transmission IMHO. It makes my wife's TSX feel clunky which is saying a lot!
volsfan0911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #37
MkVi_Ian
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Deep Blk. Metallic MkVI GTI 2dr 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by joema View Post
The OP was *already* skilled in using a manual transmission, and had many years experience using that.

There's no basis for saying the transmission type he *subsequently* drives will make him a better or worse driver.
ok joema thats *your* own opinion and i have *my* own opinion. we'll leave it at that
MkVi_Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:07 PM   #38
Mk6golfer
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 1996 Acura Integra

"you could get the fuck out of some groceries in that thing"
Mk6golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:10 PM   #39
Mk6golfer
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 1996 Acura Integra
I find the clutch pedal to be easier to depress than any car I've driven. Almost to a fault, like a video game. So your leg shouldn't get tired in traffic.

"you could get the fuck out of some groceries in that thing"
Mk6golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:10 PM   #40
StreetSPeed
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2010 VW GTI, 2004 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacpw View Post

I do agree driving a manual makes you a better driver, but ive driven it for 6 years. theres nothing more i can learn.
Unless you are a heel and toe superhero, I doubt that very much. But I digress...
StreetSPeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:12 PM   #41
jjkh
Autocross Newbie

Drives: CSG Golf R Uni stg 1
I had DSG on my MKV and 95% of the time I had it in Drive. But what is cool is whenever I needed power I would just paddle shift down 1 or 2 gears down while in Drive and wow what power!! But one thing I would have liked was to know what gear the car was in shown on the MIDI but the MKVI does show the gear now. Very useful. True you don't the control or connection like on a manual but you get rev-match downshifts and cool sounding upshifts.

I have a 6 speed on my MKVI now its great but there are times when I wish I had DSG. I felt the same thing when I had the DSG. As many have posted you probably will regret whichever you choice but you can't go wrong with either.

If you really can't decide flip a coin.
jjkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:57 PM   #42
fokker
Oval Newbie

Drives: VW
Get the stick and don't look back
fokker is offline   Reply With Quote