GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

View Poll Results: which transmission?
DSG 191 38.20%
6 speed 261 52.20%
obligatory 3rd option - its your car pick 48 9.60%
Voters: 500. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2010, 11:13 PM   #43
n2oinferno
Ready to race!

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
So you went with the DSG? I had one in my MKV. It was a good transmission and still pretty fun to drive. The downside (other than not a stick) was it was ridiculously expensive to service.

I drove manuals all my life until I bought my MKV with DSG. My wife had an automatic Jetta. After the dealership crashed my GTI and bought it from me I inherited a Bonneville with an automatic. And in the beginning of last year we traded the Jetta for a used Yaris with an automatic.

I'm so sick of automatics now that I'm sure my next car will be a manual, haha.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:28 AM   #44
MrClean
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 10 GTI 4dr / 06 CS / 12 TTRS
It is really hard to be convinced by reading posted opinions on the Internet, mainly, IMHO, because people are going to say what they have is the best!

You really need to go drive both and see what suits your preferences.

For me, the DSG was the best fit for the 2.0T and the intended purpose for the car.
This is my daily driver and is a family/fun car. I bought the GTI for its handling and its versatility.
For some reason, I feel DSG in a TT or GTI is fine, but I would never want it in my Porsche.

Does that make any sense?

I think it does, but find it tough to explain.
Clearbra, VW DGs, 38% Tint
Black Roof, & R Taillights
MrClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:46 AM   #45
subacpw
Oval Newbie

Drives: MKVI GTI DSG
I ended up getting the car I had looked at.

2 door carbon gray steel.
DSG
pretty much everything but navi.

personally i love the DSG. Im 23 i love manual trannys but the DSG was just as much fun to me. maybe i wont feel the same in 2 months maybe ill love it more. but so far im extremely happy. except for the power, i need more. its a lil slower than my wrx but APR will change that.

id like to think im pretty darn good at heel an toe. while i might miss a manual at times ill jus take my dads vette out for a spin.
subacpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:00 AM   #46
Beeb
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: mk6 GTI
DSG all day all night
Tech
DSG
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:26 AM   #47
boofer
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2007 Honda S2000
i'd go with the DSG

i did not enjoy the 6MT very much. the clutch was really soft with a somewhat vague engagement point (at least, to me). the shifter throws were decent, though. the DSG, however, was so fast, so fun, and held the gear until i told it what to do. i had a lot of fun with it and it remains the only automatic transmission that i would ever buy. maybe i formed my opinion right after driving the DSG (since i drove that before the 6MT).

i have been driving stick for almost 12 years now (5 speed RSX, 6 speed TSX, 6 speed S2000, and now back to a 6 speed TSX) and i still prefer the DSG in the GTI. i dunno, it doesn't have that laggy torque converter feel to it. it's direct and really quick.

in the end, though, go with what you want. have you driven both? you shouldn't make your decision based on what 20 people said on the internet.
boofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:29 AM   #48
boofer
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2007 Honda S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacpw View Post
i test drove both the 6 spd is smooth as butta great shifting but i dont like how light the clutch feels its just feels too soft, but im sure that would help in traffic.
i forgot that you said that too...it really is very soft, to the point where if my clutch felt that soft, i would fear that air got into the hydraulic line.

also, if your gf is going to be driving it occasionally....DSG all the way (unless she is superb with a manual transmission). i cannot stand it when people drive my car and ride the clutch all day and shift like crap, so that, coupled with the stop and go traffic that you described, would make me absolutely recommend the DSG.
boofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:23 AM   #49
Power-san
Oval Champion

Drives: GTI MKVI
So easy for me to say 6 Speed. I drove the DSG and was bored in 5 minutes.
Power-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:30 AM   #50
Marvin
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: Golf MK6 1.4TSI 'SE' 122PS - 5dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power-san View Post
So easy for me to say 6 Speed. I drove the DSG and was bored in 5 minutes.
Well I have been driving cars with manual transmission and 'sticks' as you call them (I call them gearlevers) since passing my driving test in 1956 and have to say that I have only very limited experience with automatics.
However my mate has a VW Jetta with a DSG box and has had troubles manoeuvring in very confined spaces or pulling away on some very steep hill we have in parts of the UK.
Not having the 'conventional' torque converter means that power can be delivered rather suddenly and embarrassingy, causing some problems or even front 'axle tramp'.

VW Golf MK6 1.4TSI 122PS 'SE' 5dr | Reflex Silver | Sunroof | MFSW | Parking Sensors | Luxury Pack | Standard Alloys |Auto lights, wipers, dimming rear view mirror - everything!!
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:52 PM   #51
jmblur
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: MkVI GTI 2dr DSG CSG
If you're used to an auto the stopping/starting is definitely different. It acts much more like a manual trans. The first couple days I had it I was a bit surprised every time it seemed to "surge" when given a bit of gas from a stop, but now it's very easy to control. As for hills, the DSG hill hold brakes, so it's never been a problem for me. Requires a bit more touch than a normal auto, but I actually prefer it.
jmblur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:12 PM   #52
jman
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI 4dr CW
For me, DSG is the reason I didn't even look at other cars. I love the versatility of it: you can leave it in D for the start-stop daily grind and slide it into manual or use the paddles when the conditions warrant.

The paddle shifting is so much more fun than a stick IMO.... instant, perfect shifts while keeping your hands on the wheel, rather than disconnecting the power with the clutch pedal, sliding a lever and then reconnecting the engine by lifting that clutch pedal while pressing the gas.

BTW, I drove only manuals for the first 10 yrs of my driving life. I love driving and understand the connected feeling and satisfacton of a perfect shift...it's just not fun every day in a typical NA city with straight roads connected by lights and congested highways/freeways.

In the end it, comes down to personal preference, the above is just my take on it.
jman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:41 PM   #53
StreetSPeed
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2010 VW GTI, 2004 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacpw View Post
I ended up getting the car I had looked at.

personally i love the DSG. Im 23 i love manual trannys but the DSG was just as much fun to me. maybe i wont feel the same in 2 months maybe ill love it more.
Give us an honest assessment in a couple months and let us know what you think. Might only take you a week however. Congrats on the new car. I'm loving mine and I've had it 2 days.
StreetSPeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:44 PM   #54
subacpw
Oval Newbie

Drives: MKVI GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSPeed View Post
Give us an honest assessment in a couple months and let us know what you think. Might only take you a week however. Congrats on the new car. I'm loving mine and I've had it 2 days.

i figure ill know in about a week or two if I made the wrong decision. close to 200 miles and im still happy. I did get a lil upset but thats cause i had to get rid of my first car, i was attached.

the quality of the interior blows my old wrx outta the water.
subacpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:33 PM   #55
trueman
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: CS VI 5Dr DSG ACC bi Xenon 18"Tint
I am going to order 2 GTIs identical except for transmissions after reading these post hahaha
trueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:41 PM   #56
Randycfitch
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI
If you live in urban traffic, the DSG is probably a good idea. I drive a 5 spd now and order a DSG on the GTI. I test drove both. The DSG can give you the same control as the manual --- but only when you decide you need it. I'm not sure you loose anything by going with the DSG. IMHO
Randycfitch is offline   Reply With Quote