GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

View Poll Results: which transmission?
DSG 191 38.20%
6 speed 261 52.20%
obligatory 3rd option - its your car pick 48 9.60%
Voters: 500. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2010, 11:57 PM   #57
subacpw
Oval Newbie

Drives: MKVI GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randycfitch View Post
If you live in urban traffic, the DSG is probably a good idea. I drive a 5 spd now and order a DSG on the GTI. I test drove both. The DSG can give you the same control as the manual --- but only when you decide you need it. I'm not sure you loose anything by going with the DSG. IMHO
where in ATL are you? what dealer did you order from?

I got mine from jim ellis since they had one with everything i wanted on the lot. i didnt want to wait 4 months for one.
subacpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:07 AM   #58
TREGinginCO
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 JSW TDI w/DSG & 2006 Touareg
I love the DSG!!!!
TREGinginCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:46 AM   #59
krische
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2010 CSG GTI 6MT
subscribed for OP's feedback after a few weeks.
krische is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:52 AM   #60
carbonmk6
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI
I think both transmissions are good.
I got the 6sp manual and I kept thinking about the DSG. However, I kept thinking about the 6sp manual when I drive with DSG.
carbonmk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:28 PM   #61
waffleman
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 Black GTI manual
Quote:
If you live in urban traffic, the DSG is probably a good idea.
Agree, in city driving I'd rather have automatic/DSG. Lucky for me, I'm mostly suburban driving so I get to drive a MT

Quote:
I'm not sure you loose anything by going with the DSG.
you lose about $1200 bucks for the DSG, and more $$ when the DSG maintenance crops at up 40K miles.
waffleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:12 AM   #62
Marvin
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: Golf MK6 1.4TSI 'SE' 122PS - 5dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBomb View Post
DSG is really lame.. honestly i look down at people with DSG.. its also really annoying to drive with both hands on the steering wheel at that position, theres nothin like one hand on the top of the wheel while shiftin up with the other hand.
The trouble is that too many people drive with only one hand on the steering wheel and the other hand anywhere else but even when they've finished stirring the box.

VW Golf MK6 1.4TSI 122PS 'SE' 5dr | Reflex Silver | Sunroof | MFSW | Parking Sensors | Luxury Pack | Standard Alloys |Auto lights, wipers, dimming rear view mirror - everything!!
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:43 AM   #63
subacpw
Oval Newbie

Drives: MKVI GTI DSG
Quote:
DSG is really lame.. honestly i look down at people with DSG.. its also really annoying to drive with both hands on the steering wheel at that position, theres nothin like one hand on the top of the wheel while shiftin up with the other hand.
you obviously dont know the proper way to drive. not only that but you dont maintain complete control of the car with only one hand on the wheel.

feel free too look down on my for choosing a technically advanced transmission.

coming soon - APR stg 1
subacpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:15 AM   #64
RiVoT
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI DSG
Thumbs down

Quote:
thanks for your honesty regarding your stupidity. i look down upon people who don't even have all the information before they post. i too primarily drive with one hand on the shifter and one on the wheel, dingus - see the little + and - symbols:

i don't look down on people who prefer manual, unless they're haters...
Old 02-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #65
davettf2
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: Golf Mk VI 2.0 TDI
Peeps
An interesting thread, personally I have the DSG, like the technology behind it, giving me automatic ease in trafic with the economy of the manual. It also shifts quicker than an auto shifter and I can use the paddles to change down without having to use 'kick down'.

With regards to ones hand position, thats personal preference, me I like the fact with the paddles I can keep both hand on the whell and play tunes if I feel like it.

regards
dave
davettf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #66
Marvin
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: Golf MK6 1.4TSI 'SE' 122PS - 5dr
Surely the point is that you are not constantly changing gear if you have a manual box and therefore both hands should be back where they belong. ie. on the steering wheel when you have no further gears to select.

VW Golf MK6 1.4TSI 122PS 'SE' 5dr | Reflex Silver | Sunroof | MFSW | Parking Sensors | Luxury Pack | Standard Alloys |Auto lights, wipers, dimming rear view mirror - everything!!
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #67
krische
FIA GT Champion

I think people are getting too caught up in whch one is better. Can't they both be good? The DSG is the best automatic money can buy in the car market today. And if automatics aren't your thing, the GTI's manual is the bee's knees as well.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:09 PM   #68
Stein357
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: VAG 2.0T
I personally bought a manual because I knew I would get bored with the DSG. I have plenty of years to drive automatics.
Stein357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:12 PM   #69
Aitch
Ready to race!

Drives: 2007 Mazda 3 GS
Quote:
Thanks. Its only because of DSG that I started looking at the new MkVI. I'd prefer a manual, but my next car needs to be an auto b/c my wife is still a new driver and is really uncomfortable with a standard (still quite nervous on the road and we live in a very busy city - Toronto).

Because of the DSG option I went to check out the new MkVI and fell in love with it. Otherwise I wouldn't have thought about the GTI; I'd crossed it off after the MkV (sorry but the MkV interior doesn't do anything for me).

So look down at DSG owners if you want (hopefully I'll be one later this year). Not everyone gets it because they can't drive manual, they do it because it makes more sense for them personally. I'm not an F1 driver but I'm pretty damn good at driving manual - I shift smoothly, I can rev-match without a second thought, in the middle of a corner etc, and my clutches generally live a very long time. In spite of this I'll happily drive a DSG car because it lets my wife drive but I get a kick-ass, easily upgradable turbo hatchback.
Aitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #70
krische
FIA GT Champion

I noticed most of the people here promoting the manual have quite a bit of experience with manuals. Would you guys recommend the GTI's manual to someone with very little experience with manuals? I've only driven a manual car a handful of times.