GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Mk6 vs......


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
thatspsychotic
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
thatspsychotic's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 GTI 4DR DSG, '14 Forester XT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Western MA
Posts: 592
MK6 GTI vs. 2013 Ford Focus ST

Before I settled on the GTI, I was furiously going back and forth on this in my head. As far as engines go, the ST is VERY close a stage 1 GTI. It also uses a K03 turbo, with a torque curve probably a little more blunted compared to a stage 1 GTI (266 lb ft vs. ~290 lb ft) to preserve linearity. From what I've read on Ford press releases, they're aiming straight for the GTI with it.

I know it's too early to really be able to tell since no one has driven one yet, but who else went through this dilemma? I really like the Focus ST, even though the interior is a bit smaller.
__________________
Present: APR Stage 1+ v2.4 | APR Carbonio | R8 Coils | GFB DV+ | Unibrace UB | Enkei Raijin Gunmetal 18x8 et45 | Michelin PSS 245/35R18 | NewSouth Perf. Mech Boost Gauge | Soundaktor Delete

Future: ST Coilovers | Tyrolsport Deadset | H&R 26/22mm Swaybars | MOOG End Links
thatspsychotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
JhnR
Banned
 
Drives: Lemon mk6 GTI
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: 818, CA
Posts: 12,197
uhgh idk about ever buying a Ford other than the new 2012 Mustangs.. 5.0..
JhnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
Dybz
FIA GT Champion
 
Dybz's Avatar
 
Drives: MKV GTI
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatspsychotic View Post
Before I settled on the GTI, I was furiously going back and forth on this in my head. As far as engines go, the ST is VERY close a stage 1 GTI. It also uses a K03 turbo, with a torque curve probably a little more blunted compared to a stage 1 GTI (266 lb ft vs. ~290 lb ft) to preserve linearity. From what I've read on Ford press releases, they're aiming straight for the GTI with it.

I know it's too early to really be able to tell since no one has driven one yet, but who else went through this dilemma? I really like the Focus ST, even though the interior is a bit smaller.
the 2013 focus ST uses a k03? where did you see this?
Dybz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
colslaw87
FIA GT Newbie
 
colslaw87's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 CSG 4dr 6spd
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 857
Honestly, American cars are getting much better in the last couple years. I have never been an American car enthusiast, but I can appreciate their recent work.

The ST hatch looks like a funky little car. I can safely say without a doubt that the GTI will "feel" like a more quality vehicle...from interior quality, fit and finish to material choices. It'll all be decided in the test drive. With all design aside...your honestly behind the wheel 90% of the time, so it'll probably come down to how it drives.
__________________
R--1--3--5
└-┼--┼--┤
_-_2--4--6
colslaw87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
project92raddoslc
Formula 3000 Driver
 
project92raddoslc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 GOLF R
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: doylestown, pa
Posts: 3,731
I have a feeling it will look and feel comparable on paper but in person it will still be far behind. That's the exact feeling I had about the 2.0t genesis coupe. Looks great on paper but it was bland as hell to drive compared to a stock gti.
__________________
I am a trader and ditched my MK6 for a MK7 R.

Service Writer--North Penn VW Colmar, PA
project92raddoslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
Dybz
FIA GT Champion
 
Dybz's Avatar
 
Drives: MKV GTI
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,103
i've been in the new focus, it's a nice place to be. i kind of like the slightly smaller feel of the interior, makes it feel more sporty or something vs the openness of the GTI cabin. materials are also quite nice. frankly if ford takes any of the things they've learned from the RS (as they claim to) then the ST will be a great drive. all speculation at this point
Dybz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
grambles423
Limited Activity
 
grambles423's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008.5 BMP GTI
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Balls Deep
Posts: 18,424
People have been taking aim at the GTI for soo long but fall so short. There's too much of a history and experience. Nothing, in my eyes, has come close to delivering the quality and refinement and performance trifecta that the GTI has to offer. Its either all performance no refinement, or all refinement no performance.

However, the jury is still out on the ST. I FEEL that Ford might have something here, but if it does over take the GTI, it wont last too much longer with the MK7 around the corner.
__________________
UnNaturally Aspirated
APR Stage 1- ECS Dogbone
Driver Gear Springs-Tyrol Rigid Collar Subframe Kit
Centric Blank Rotors-Stoptech SP Pads

grambles423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #8
Dybz
FIA GT Champion
 
Dybz's Avatar
 
Drives: MKV GTI
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by grambles423 View Post
People have been taking aim at the GTI for soo long but fall so short. There's too much of a history and experience. Nothing, in my eyes, has come close to delivering the quality and refinement and performance trifecta that the GTI has to offer. Its either all performance no refinement, or all refinement no performance.

However, the jury is still out on the ST. I FEEL that Ford might have something here, but if it does over take the GTI, it wont last too much longer with the MK7 around the corner.
which itself might end up being a failboat...
Dybz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
grambles423
Limited Activity
 
grambles423's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008.5 BMP GTI
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Balls Deep
Posts: 18,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dybz View Post
which itself might end up being a failboat...
True. But if the equation keeps continuing, the MK7 will be just as good, if not better. Speculation at best though for now.
__________________
UnNaturally Aspirated
APR Stage 1- ECS Dogbone
Driver Gear Springs-Tyrol Rigid Collar Subframe Kit
Centric Blank Rotors-Stoptech SP Pads

grambles423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
Dybz
FIA GT Champion
 
Dybz's Avatar
 
Drives: MKV GTI
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by grambles423 View Post
True. But if the equation keeps continuing, the MK7 will be just as good, if not better. Speculation at best though for now.
the way i see it

mk1 was great
mk2 was good
mk3 was fail
mk4 was good
mk5 was great
mk6 was good
mk7 is going to be fail
mk8 will be good

that's assuming trend continues. granted we don't have enough data to assume any sort of statistical accuracy.
Dybz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
smrtypants44
Formula 5000 Driver
 
smrtypants44's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 135i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 1,599
The one thing I didn't like about the focus I drive was its huuuuuuge dashboard that cut into my personal space (6'3") and made the cabin feel pretty small.
__________________
smrtypants44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #12
grambles423
Limited Activity
 
grambles423's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008.5 BMP GTI
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Balls Deep
Posts: 18,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dybz View Post
the way i see it

mk1 was great
mk2 was good
mk3 was fail
mk4 was good
mk5 was great
mk6 was good
mk7 is going to be fail
mk8 will be good

that's assuming trend continues. granted we don't have enough data to assume any sort of statistical accuracy.
Oh man...the Mk3 was so bad that I even forget it was made. However, I think the MK7 will be great ONLY if the aftermarket is still supported. If VW keeps trying to lock down our ability to mod, it certainly will not sale as much.

It still sounds like it will have great features, but hopefully it can deliver.
__________________
UnNaturally Aspirated
APR Stage 1- ECS Dogbone
Driver Gear Springs-Tyrol Rigid Collar Subframe Kit
Centric Blank Rotors-Stoptech SP Pads

grambles423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #13
thatspsychotic
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
thatspsychotic's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 GTI 4DR DSG, '14 Forester XT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Western MA
Posts: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dybz View Post
the 2013 focus ST uses a k03? where did you see this?
I first saw it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Ec...L_EcoBoost_I-4

I know that isn't necessarily a 100% accurate source, but I have seen it listed elsewhere and I THOUGHT on an official Ford release, but I can't seem to find it. That information looks like it was pulled in from a spec sheet.

The way I see it is that like the MS3 and WRX, it will beat up a stock GTI from a performance standpoint, but won't be quite as good as far as refinement. And like those other competitors, all it will take is an intake and a tune to tip the balance back towards the GTI.
__________________
Present: APR Stage 1+ v2.4 | APR Carbonio | R8 Coils | GFB DV+ | Unibrace UB | Enkei Raijin Gunmetal 18x8 et45 | Michelin PSS 245/35R18 | NewSouth Perf. Mech Boost Gauge | Soundaktor Delete

Future: ST Coilovers | Tyrolsport Deadset | H&R 26/22mm Swaybars | MOOG End Links
thatspsychotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #14
AXO
Formula 3000 Champion
 
AXO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 VW GTI Candy White
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Palm Beach, Florida
Posts: 4,097
He should buy the Ford.
__________________
Life's a Garden, Dig It!
HOOKERS
AXO is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.